Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transposed tire pressure readings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a new set of tires installed earlier today at Costco. After driving it for a bit, I noticed that the the pressure of the driver-side rear tire was only 34psi. I went back to Costco and had them check that tire. They used their tire inflator (set at 42psi) on it and the inflator beeped (set pressure reached) right away, They said it'd take some more driver to have the monitor reset. Since I had bought some frozen food while I was there, I decided to drive home first.

After coming home, I used my own pocket tire pressure reader to check all the tires. Surprisingly, the tire that's low is actually the passenger-side front tire!

My questions:
1. What could be causing this transposition of pressure readings?
2. Do I have to bring the car back to Costco to get this fixed, or can I use the TPMS reset to get this corrected?

Thanks!

@moderator: I meant to post this message in the General Model 3 forum. Could you please move it there? Thanks!

Yes, I can, but in the future please use the REPORT button on a post to get a mods attention, and then request what you are wanting. I am here a lot (way more than I should be, actually) and even I dont see every post made in this subforum, which is one of the busiest ones here on TMC next to the investment one.

I decided to go back to Costco. On my way there, the transposition went away on its own. So it appears the sensors do figure out their new positions, just that it may take quite a few miles. For me, it’s about 12.

Still, all in all this installation experience was bad. First off it took almost two hours even with an appointment, and then one of the tires was significantly under-inflated. I am not confident that they torqued the lug nuts to spec. Now I can understand why people like to do their own rotations. Sigh.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I decided to go back to Costco. On my way there, the transposition went away on its own. So it appears the sensors do figure out their new positions, just that it may take quite a few miles. For me, it’s about 12.

Still, all in all this installation experience was bad. First off it took almost two hours even with an appointment, and then one of the tires was significantly under-inflated. I am not confident that they torqued the lug nuts to spec. Now I can understand why people like to do their own rotations. Sigh.

Both my previous car a Q50, and my wife's SLK 350 do the same. They automagically re-register after about 12 miles. Even when changing from summer to winter wheel and tire kits. Nothing unusual.

Except! Have you ever been in a GM dealers shop? All day long the annoying beep as the techs re-register the sensors after doing tire rotations. I'm not sure if it is necessary or they just do it to hurry the process.

I always recheck the torque and tire pressures immediately after arriving home.