Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trash blowing across freeway put my car into emergency braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This same scenario happened to me (pre 8.0), small foil bag of chips floated in front of my model S at highway speed.

However, just an important clarification which I think was eluded to in a previous post.

When the highlighted car picture appeared on my dash along with the emergency alert sound, it was accompanied with a let-up on acceleration resulting in a very brief but immediate deceleration, say from 65mpg to 60mph but then just as quickly back to normal speed after passing the bag. Unless someone was extreme tailgating, like a foot from my rear bumper, I don't think it would have caused any danger.

My experience was definitely not braking in the sense of locking up the brakes on the highway.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
This same scenario happened to me (pre 8.0), small foil bag of chips floated in front of my model S at highway speed.

However, just an important clarification which I think was eluded to in a previous post.

When the highlighted car picture appeared on my dash along with the emergency alert sound, it was accompanied with a let-up on acceleration resulting in a very brief but immediate deceleration, say from 65mpg to 60mph but then just as quickly back to normal speed after passing the bag. Unless someone was extreme tailgating, like a foot from my rear bumper, I don't think it would have caused any danger.

My experience was definitely not braking in the sense of locking up the brakes on the highway.
Likewise my brakes were not locked up as well but I did slow down then sped up after the bag passed. And since I wasn't in heavy traffic I wasn't in danger of being rear ended.

It's good to be informed that this situation can occur

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Would probably only detect the paranoid squirrels
Ours have become outright suicidal. It's sadly comical, though, as they are in no real danger unless you were .. umm a robot car I guess that has no regard for them. I guess it sucks to be a squirrel.

No squirrels have ever been harmed in the making of this post. In fact I ran over my first animal on my recent road trip. It was devastating to me.

Yep, in 30+ years of driving, I ran over my first animal. Thankfully it was already pretty flattened and dried up though.
maxresdefault.jpg