Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel from kirkland to Snoqualmie Pass in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I am taking my kid skiing at Snoqualmie pass with MY Long Range tomorrow. I got the car in this summer, so I am not sure how the car battery range handles in the winter and ascending. If I top it to 80% before leaving home, is that enough to come back home? Should I charge more at north bend on the way up? Anyone has the experience? Thanks

If you leave with 90% you will have 47% when you get back.
I would charge to 100% within 3-5 hours of departure, and you should be fine.
Do not be afraid to go to 100% as long as your don't let it sit at 100% for many hours. Use the departure timing charge setting, to charge to the desired level about 1 hour before you depart.
You could always use North Bend on the way home if you really need it--which is unlikely.
Use the website below or the companion app to see these scenarios. You can enter temperature and other settings if you want.
You should be able to see round Trip on the regular navigation screen when you enter your the destination. Pull down, and you will see the RT battery percentage.

Hi folks, I am taking my kid skiing at Snoqualmie pass with MY Long Range tomorrow. I got the car in this summer, so I am not sure how the car battery range handles in the winter and ascending. If I top it to 80% before leaving home, is that enough to come back home? Should I charge more at north bend on the way up? Anyone has the experience? Thanks
As was said .. charge to 100% .. it won’t destroy the battery or anything! Stop at north bend SC by all means for peace of mind. Use this trip to build some feel for how the car range is in bad weather. Also try abetterrouteplanner so you can also judge how this tool compares to your actual mileage. Enjoy!

Reactions: preilly44
I am trying to charge to 100% at home. I am at 80% right now. Since I can only charge outside with 120V, the charging is extremely slow and we have been driving everywhere in these few days that didn't help neither. Okay I guess I will charge at North Bend just in case and thanks for the tips. I will just keep charging until we head out and set the departure time as well.

I am trying to charge to 100% at home. I am at 80% right now. Since I can only charge outside with 120V, the charging is extremely slow and we have been driving everywhere in these few days that didn't help neither. Okay I guess I will charge at North Bend just in case and thanks for the tips. I will just keep charging until we head out and set the departure time as well.
120V is around 3 miles of charge per hour--painful.
If you leave it plugged in all night you should get to around 90%
You will be fine--Don't let range anxiety overtake you.
Remember--if you get caught in slow, ski area traffic, relax, you will actually get better range, since you are going slower with less wind resistance.
At 80%, you should be able to make it round trip. Since on this busy ski day, you probably don't want to wait on charging on the way up, the way to check your RT charge state--when about where the North Bend charger --re do the Navigation to the ski are, then you will see what the calculated RT battery level would be. If it is above 20%, (ABRP says you will be at 49%, at North Bend on your return, starting with 80%) you should be fine, unless you use the heater for hours, just sitting in the ski area parking lot. It looks like you will use 27% of your battery to get to the resort, and 16% to return home, arriving with 37% charge.

Hope it worked out, post an update if you get a chance.

So I was able to charge my car up to 94% before leaving home. The temperature was about 20F. When we got up to the mountain, battery was at 58%. We aslo stopped at Arby which waited at least 10 minutes for the drive thru and Safeway in north bend. When we arrived home, the battery was 38%. We kept the temp at 69F entire way.
Great-less range anxiety on every trip.
Looks pretty close to what ABRP predicted, in spite of the 20° night.
Remember, you can Pre-heat the car from your phone app.
Happy New Year!!