Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel from Melbourne to Stawell in Victoria with Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am planning a return day trip to Stawell in Victoria from Melbourne. The return distance is 470km, just inside/outside our Model S85 500km range. Does anyone know/has used any charging facilities along the M8 (say in Ballarat) please ?

Thank you for your feedback,

Dimitrios

Hey everyone,

I am planning a return day trip to Stawell in Victoria from Melbourne. The return distance is 470km, just inside/outside our Model S85 500km range. Does anyone know/has used any charging facilities along the M8 (say in Ballarat) please ?

Thank you for your feedback,

Dimitrios

G'day Dimitrios,

Be aware that your range, at 100kmh, is actually 400 kms, not 500 ! I do understand there is a Tesla owner (probably only hpwc) at Bacchus Marsh - perhaps that could assist. I have linked Tesla to the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld, overnight stay required, (in the general vicinity of Stawell), but don't know if anything has come of a suggested destination charger (high powered wall connector) there. Best of luck !

Hi Dimitrios

As stated Model S has at very best a 450Km range up that way if you have ideal conditions. Real world goes like this:

4 passengers say two adults and 2 kids total gross weight ( lots of assumptions built in this bit.... ) allocate around 280kg for everybody

General family stuff including the wifes handbag etc etc etc another 20kg

Total weight payload = 300Kg approx.

Assuming your a completely law abiding citizen and you stay exactly on speed limits all the way- both ways. The attached Project sheet gives you a pretty reliable energy data set.

The trick is when you get to 70Kw/hr is actual usage things start to go wrong and alarms are buzzing at you that you wont make it- reduce speed etc.

According to EVTRIPPLANNER you'll use an ACTUAL 89Kw/hrs and that calc is based on Richmond Supercharger and back to Richmond Supercharger with NO safety margin.

If you get a topup at Bacchus Marsh that'd be great but its likely to take you about 2.5 hrs on a standard charger to get sufficient and even then you still have no margin for error.

When I am faced with this one I contact the Destination site and ask question about local mechanics and engineering companies that would have 415 V 3 phase 32 Amp Plugs.
The trick is I carry one of Tims 22kw/Hr 3 phase charger modules and it loads about 105Kms of DISTANCE per Hour -must betterer!
More than happy to lend it to you for your trip but you will need to source someone to donate you a bit of juice if you want to try this option.

CheersView attachment 108930

When I am faced with this one I contact the Destination site and ask question about local mechanics and engineering companies that would have 415 V 3 phase 32 Amp Plugs.
The trick is I carry one of Tims 22kw/Hr 3 phase charger modules and it loads about 105Kms of DISTANCE per Hour -must betterer!
More than happy to lend it to you for your trip but you will need to source someone to donate you a bit of juice if you want to try this option.
That, of course, assumes dual chargers. For single charger cars, the Tesla Euro three phase adaptor for the UMC and a convertor is a much cheaper option (but only 50 odd KMH).