TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Travel from Melbourne to Stawell in Victoria with Model S

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Bairaktaris, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Bairaktaris

Bairaktaris Member

Hey everyone,

I am planning a return day trip to Stawell in Victoria from Melbourne. The return distance is 470km, just inside/outside our Model S85 500km range. Does anyone know/has used any charging facilities along the M8 (say in Ballarat) please ?

Thank you for your feedback,

Dimitrios

2. Wattup

Wattup Member

I do not know a specific answer for your question but the plugshare app is a good place to start.

3. wpapua

wpapua Member

G'day Dimitrios,

Be aware that your range, at 100kmh, is actually 400 kms, not 500 ! I do understand there is a Tesla owner (probably only hpwc) at Bacchus Marsh - perhaps that could assist. I have linked Tesla to the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld, overnight stay required, (in the general vicinity of Stawell), but don't know if anything has come of a suggested destination charger (high powered wall connector) there. Best of luck !

4. mhh

mhh Member

Tesla owner Rob in Bacchus Marsh is your man. He's on Plug share.

5. Keiron

Keiron Member

Hi Dimitrios

As stated Model S has at very best a 450Km range up that way if you have ideal conditions. Real world goes like this:

4 passengers say two adults and 2 kids total gross weight ( lots of assumptions built in this bit.... ) allocate around 280kg for everybody

General family stuff including the wifes handbag etc etc etc another 20kg

Total weight payload = 300Kg approx.

Assuming your a completely law abiding citizen and you stay exactly on speed limits all the way- both ways. The attached Project sheet gives you a pretty reliable energy data set.

The trick is when you get to 70Kw/hr is actual usage things start to go wrong and alarms are buzzing at you that you wont make it- reduce speed etc.

According to EVTRIPPLANNER you'll use an ACTUAL 89Kw/hrs and that calc is based on Richmond Supercharger and back to Richmond Supercharger with NO safety margin.

If you get a topup at Bacchus Marsh that'd be great but its likely to take you about 2.5 hrs on a standard charger to get sufficient and even then you still have no margin for error.

When I am faced with this one I contact the Destination site and ask question about local mechanics and engineering companies that would have 415 V 3 phase 32 Amp Plugs.
    The trick is I carry one of Tims 22kw/Hr 3 phase charger modules and it loads about 105Kms of DISTANCE per Hour -must betterer!
    More than happy to lend it to you for your trip but you will need to source someone to donate you a bit of juice if you want to try this option.

Cheers View attachment 108930

6. raynewman

raynewman Member

That, of course, assumes dual chargers. For single charger cars, the Tesla Euro three phase adaptor for the UMC and a convertor is a much cheaper option (but only 50 odd KMH).

7. Bairaktaris

Bairaktaris Member

Many many thanks for your most helpful advice.

Dimitrios