Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel Improvement over Airlines. (And just yourself now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I jones to go to Auburn University at almost anytime of the year (but Summer). I do go about once every five years. And then not when I'd really like to, like a home football game because hotels are way too expensive on those weekends. The rest of the year I don't go because well, I used to work, and now it is just a long long drive for an old man. A day to get there, a day to get back. How long do I need to stay to rationalize going if travel time is 2 days? at least three? So that ends up being a week to go, and then a hotel room for 5 nights?
So I go once every few years.
Google Maps
The trip is 490.6 miles long, and takes 7 hrs and 53 minutes.
Let's look at the trip from inside a Cyber with realistically no real FS, and like I have a regular 9-5 m-f job.To be safe.
I come home grab my gear and drive. At about midnight (6 hours of driving has me 2 hours outside of the destination) or whenever I really feel like sleeping I fill er up, then roll into a rest stop and climb into the bed. Climate-controlled, sentry mode protecting me. All is well. I sleep like a log. I set an alarm for whenever I need it to be to get me to the game when I want. I pull into Auburn about 11 o'clock for a 1:30 PM kick-off. I find my buddies that drove in too. I hang out, watching the crowd swell. Buy a cheap ticket after the game has started. Stare at what it was like to be 20 for three hours. Walk back to the Cyber. Take a nap. A really really comfortable nap, not a car nap. Drive a few hours. Super charge the batteries, go to bed, and wake-up when I want. And then drive the rest of the way home.

NOW IF/WHEN the Cyber has enough FS to be FS on the major highways....
Instead of getting in and driving right away I have Friday evening to do as I want till about midnight or even later. At that time I hop in the Cyber, and go to sleep while it drives me to Auburn. I sleep well in a car. I can only imagine sleeping in a real bed in a car. I have the car set to pull in at a supercharger about an hour outside Auburn, remember Auburn is barely within the limit of the 500 mile battery. And I have slept for about 7 hrs which is the norm for me.
I get a bite to eat while I top off the batteries. Then drive the next hour behind the wheel. And I am at the game. Hopefully not too early. I hang out, watch the game, walk around the campus and bars till I am getting tired, and then go back to the Cyber, get it on the interstate and then crawl in the back and go to sleep for a few hours. The Cyber will wake me when it has less than 25 miles left in the batteries(yes?). And I get home Sunday morning ready to have a normal Sunday, and feel rested after a "week end in Auburn."

And that's enough of a reason to get a Cyber. To attend whatever the hell you want if it is within an eight hour "drive." And you arrive there rested and ready. With a net gain of 2 days added to my life.
BTW how much money would I save in fuel? In my current Dodge Pick-up with gas at 2.50/gal it is $164 round trip.

A person could actually travel the entire United States going from day adventure to day adventure while sleeping at night as the vehicle they are in rolls down the road.
Domestic Airlines and hotels are going to take a serious hit. In a Cyber you will get where you wanted to go with less hassle (driving to the airport, storing your car, TSA, sitting next to no one you want to), and you will be well-rested and have your own car with you when you arrive.
I imagine a new industry will crop up. Renting a real "Bath" room by the half hour. Buildings will pop up where you can pay to supercharge and take a decent bath. Yes I know of truck stops having the facilities to bath. I imagine these will be quite a bit better. A franchise like "KOA" but for half-hour increments.

So, for readability, it's nice to spell out non-standard terms. I'm assuming that you are talking about the Cybertruck. I'm guessing that FS means Full Self Driving.

I think that you are making some stretches as to what the experience and infrastructure is like. I don't see a Supercharger an hour from Auburn. There may be one in the future, but today you are stopping in Tifton or Macon. But there is one in Auburn.
Not sure what "bed" you are talking about, I haven't seen one for the Cybertruck. Not sure about you, but rest areas can be busy areas at night, especially with headlights and it may be hard to sleep.
The folks in the stadium will probably appreciate you taking a bath the night before the game.

I've done basically the same trip, from Atlanta to Melbourne, seen a rocket launch, overnighted in a hotel, spent a half day at the NASA museum and back to Atlanta in 40 hours. With 12 and 14 year old girls.

Sure, lots of possibilities when Full Self Driving becomes available. Probably won't need the 500 mile range of the Cybertruck then. The car will stop and plug in by itself.

Reactions: lafrisbee