Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel Through Cajon Pass on I-15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 15 MS 85 and will be driving to Las Vegas from Simi Valley, Ca. I would like to know the pros/cons of travelling through Cajon Pass on I-15 and the effect it has on range with the elevation changes along with other weather such as wind?

Thanks

The cajon pass isn't much of an issue for range its a small hill not even remotely close to a mountain or anything. You also will have the pass after baker on the way to Primm, which is also a long hill not a mountain.
Also with the new SC in Hesperia even if you go 90mph (yeah right there's always traffic :) ) you have an easy spot to grab some juice if you manage to misjudge your power at the start.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT
On I-15 in Fall/Winter cold dry winds can be blowing. Mind the headwinds and cold weather by checking your Wh/mi. The PTC heater in the '15 S can cut your range noticeably. But, as others have stated, the road to Vegas his littered with SCs. Hesperia, Barstow, Yermo, Baker, Primm...
You'll be fine. It was just Barstow when I first drove that route in an S. Uphill both ways. You kids today....

My model s takes a huge rang hit traveling through that. Just try not to speed going uphill. Plenty of superchargers on the way. I can make it from LA to Las vegas on one charge. I stop at the supercharger next to that huge ice cream cone plane on the way to vegas. Cant remember the place but its a great stop to get snacks. When I get to vegas, I have the hotel charge my car.

Night time driving takes another hit since it gets pretty cold

Reactions: nomis_nehc
My model s takes a huge rang hit traveling through that. Just try not to speed going uphill. Plenty of superchargers on the way. I can make it from LA to Las vegas on one charge. I stop at the supercharger next to that huge ice cream cone plane on the way to vegas. Cant remember the place but its a great stop to get snacks.

Youre taking about the eddie world supercharger in yermo. I personally never use that one because i like to get some grub when i stop so the barstow lenwood one is where i stop. but i also live 40 miles north of barstow so i tend to use that one all the time.

I usually burn 20-30 "miles" going up the grade for the 6 or so miles it really is...but on the backside (Santa Clarita side), I maybe only use 5-6 miles for the next actual 20 miles. It evens out somewhat. But don't speed...65-70mph seems to keep the car the happiest. It will be 400-700wh/m depending on how fast you go and how cold it is going up the grade.

Worst case, if it's cold and you're concerned, just stop at the charger before the grade for a few minutes. It's huge and easy in/out.

Reactions: BigTonyTones
Youre taking about the eddie world supercharger in yermo. I personally never use that one because i like to get some grub when i stop so the barstow lenwood one is where i stop. but i also live 40 miles north of barstow so i tend to use that one all the time.

My wife and I traditionally stopped off Lenwood to go to Del Taco, but now it's all about Eddie World. In fact, the last 3 trips on the 15 was not to Vegas...but to Eddie World. We love the ice cream, Impossible burger, their flat fries, root beer candies, apple chips, and watermelon jelly bellies.

As for the drive, we can leave Newport Beach with 90% SOC in our 2013 S85 and get to Yermo with 40 range miles miles remaining, charge while we eat and shop, then get back home with 50 range miles remaining. The winds and traffic can be less than predictable; we have a tendency to set the car height on "low" and drive a little slower when driving into a strong cross or headwind.

Tesla has added so many more Supercharging sites and expanded the stall counts that it's really not much of an issue these days. Gone are the days when we had to charge above 90% SOC and anxiously drive to the next SuC.

BTW, this thread should probably be moved to the California sub-topic.

Reactions: MXLRplus
My wife and I traditionally stopped off Lenwood to go to Del Taco, but now it's all about Eddie World. In fact, the last 3 trips on the 15 was not to Vegas...but to Eddie World. We love the ice cream, Impossible burger, their flat fries, root beer candies, apple chips, and watermelon jelly bellies.

As for the drive, we can leave Newport Beach with 90% SOC in our 2013 S85 and get to Yermo with 40 range miles miles remaining, charge while we eat and shop, then get back home with 50 range miles remaining. The winds and traffic can be less than predictable; we have a tendency to set the car height on "low" and drive a little slower when driving into a strong cross or headwind.

Tesla has added so many more Supercharging sites and expanded the stall counts that it's really not much of an issue these days. Gone are the days when we had to charge above 90% SOC and anxiously drive to the next SuC.

Thanks for the information. I am new to this TMC and unsure how to movthis topic to California sub topic but i will do some research on how to accomplish that.

I usually burn 20-30 "miles" going up the grade for the 6 or so miles it really is...but on the backside (Santa Clarita side), I maybe only use 5-6 miles for the next actual 20 miles. It evens out somewhat. But don't speed...65-70mph seems to keep the car the happiest. It will be 400-700wh/m depending on how fast you go and how cold it is going up the grade.

Worst case, if it's cold and you're concerned, just stop at the charger before the grade for a few minutes. It's huge and easy in/out.
Thanks for your iput.

Thanks for your input. Iam still deciding on which route to take to Vegas from Simi valley. Do I go 118 to 210 to 15 or do I go 118 to I-5 to 14 through Pearl Blossom road. I probably does not matter.

My model s takes a huge rang hit traveling through that. Just try not to speed going uphill. Plenty of superchargers on the way. I can make it from LA to Las vegas on one charge. I stop at the supercharger next to that huge ice cream cone plane on the way to vegas. Cant remember the place but its a great stop to get snacks. When I get to vegas, I have the hotel charge my car.

Night time driving takes another hit since it gets pretty cold
Thank you for your input. I plan on stopping at the Barstow SC. Is it quick walking distance from SC to Outlets?

On I-15 in Fall/Winter cold dry winds can be blowing. Mind the headwinds and cold weather by checking your Wh/mi. The PTC heater in the '15 S can cut your range noticeably. But, as others have stated, the road to Vegas his littered with SCs. Hesperia, Barstow, Yermo, Baker, Primm...
You'll be fine. It was just Barstow when I first drove that route in an S. Uphill both ways. You kids today....
Thank you for your input. What is the PTC heater? my current plan is to stop at SC in Barstow as the wife wants to spend money at Outlets. She says window shop but we all know that means $$$$. LOL.

The cajon pass isn't much of an issue for range its a small hill not even remotely close to a mountain or anything. You also will have the pass after baker on the way to Primm, which is also a long hill not a mountain.
Also with the new SC in Hesperia even if you go 90mph (yeah right there's always traffic :) ) you have an easy spot to grab some juice if you manage to misjudge your power at the start.
Thank you for your input. I do agree there are now more than enough SC's along the route to Vegas.

Thank you for your input. I plan on stopping at the Barstow SC. Is it quick walking distance from SC to Outlets?

From simi valley to Vegas I'd take the 210 to the 15, it's the most direct, and likely what route your car will tell you to go anyway.
For the barstow SC, You're looking at like 900 feet from the SC to the outlets. So yeah a whole 3min walk :)

Screenshot_20201208-112319750.jpg

Thank you for your input. What is the PTC heater? my current plan is to stop at SC in Barstow as the wife wants to spend money at Outlets. She says window shop but we all know that means $$$$. LOL.
PTC = Positive Temperature Coefficient.
It's a fancy kind of resistive heater which is not very efficient (like a toaster element). The Y and new 3 have more efficient heat pumps.

Thanks for your iput.

Thanks for your input. Iam still deciding on which route to take to Vegas from Simi valley. Do I go 118 to 210 to 15 or do I go 118 to I-5 to 14 through Pearl Blossom road. I probably does not matter.
I've done Pearl Blossom a few times, and each time I get stuck behind slow trucks, I regret not taking the "normal" 118/210/15. Plus it's littered with amenities and chargers if needed. I'm over in Calabasas and take that route all the time.

I live in Palmdale/Lancaster Area. There is a new V3 Supercharger in Palmdale but I agree the most efficient rout would be the 210 to the 15. An there is a ridiculous amount of super chargers on the way. I usually stop in Baker (huge thermometer) and visit the Mad Greek Cafe and grab some Alien Jerky and hop back on the road. I have made this trip in a Model 3 AWD and a Model S Long Range.