TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Travel through Niagara Falls/Fort Erie/Buffalo

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tesltoronto, May 25, 2014.

1. tesltoronto

tesltoronto Member

I will be travelling through Niagara Falls/Fort Erie/Buffalo to onward destinations such as Pittsburgh (I-90 W), Rochester (I-90 E), etc.

Since the nearest Supercharger is out-of-range from Toronto, I will have to charge at either at Niagara Falls or Fort Erie or Buffalo before proceeding.

Can anyone offer any suggestions - especially any high power charger in the area?

I have looked at the Sun Country Highway and other charging sites. But am looking at some practical experience from my fellow MS owners. :wink:

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I would use the CS 90's on the Sun Country map in Niagara Falls...plenty of places to stop and stay / eat / shop / sight see whilst charging.

If you are taking a leisurely trip, you could stop at the Sun Country charge station at the Old Fort, in Fort Erie...take the tour of the Fort, as the charge station there is just 40 amps and you will have some time to kill...

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Until Superchargers support this route, I agree completely. To optimize your time on these chargers, do a 100% charge before you leave Toronto, at Niagara, charge on the CS-90 until your charge current drops below 40 Amps. At that point, it's faster to charge in Erie where you can get 40 Amps of charger current. Stop at Erie and add as many rated miles as you think you need for comfort to make it to the Cranberry Supercharger. I use EV Trip Planner and have found it very accurate. Add a little margin to it's prediction (I use 10%-25% depending on comfort, wind, weather, etc), and you should be fine.

Start a little slower, only speed up when you know you will make it, and leave 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet in reserve if there is a climb to your destination.

Enjoy!

4. tesltoronto

tesltoronto Member

Thanks guys.

I don't have my MS yet - but I will be going that route this week. I will check it out.

BTW, the ones in Erie (US) - Exit 24 or 27 (not exactly sure which one) on I-90 E are all either Nissan or BMW ones.

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I've charged at Taps on Queen in Niagara Falls before while grabbing dinner. There are several other CS-90's in town though.