Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling Across the Sierras and through Yosemite: Planning Charging and Energy Usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tenaya is nice but it's a sizable detour from route 120 with lots of elevation change (5,000 feet at Tenaya, down to 4,000 at Wawona, then back up to 6,500 near the glacier point road, down to ~4,000 feet in the valley, and back up to ~6,000 ft at Crane Flat before heading over Tioga). Still doable, but if your intent is to get over Tioga Pass, the Groveland supercharger is probably the best bet.

Thanks. Will need to do more planning.

Tenaya is nice but it's a sizable detour from route 120 with lots of elevation change (5,000 feet at Tenaya, down to 4,000 at Wawona, then back up to 6,500 near the glacier point road, down to ~4,000 feet in the valley, and back up to ~6,000 ft at Crane Flat before heading over Tioga). Still doable, but if your intent is to get over Tioga Pass, the Groveland supercharger is probably the best bet.

What he said. ^^^^^

The drive from Tenaya Lodge to the Valley is about 45-50 minutes due to the 35MPH speed limit and entrance gate congestion. Then another 20 minutes to climb out of the Valley to reach Tioga Road. Groveland to Crane Flat is only about 35 miles or so and likely will take you much less time than from Fish Camp/Tenaya.

My dim recollection thinks that Tioga Road is about 58 miles. Add another 15 or so to US395 and your total miles from Groveland will be about 108--call it 110. Lee Vining to Topaz Lake is 70 miles. So, 180 miles total from Groveland to Topaz Lake seems really comfortable with a near range charge and the 45MPH limit on Tioga Road through the park.

Just did a 4 day weekend in Mammoth, leaving from Sunnyvale in the Bay Area. We have an X100D. Left at 90%, charged in Groveland, hiked to Lembert Dome in Tuolumne Meadows and then drove to Mammoth. Charged in Mammoth. Next day hiked to Rainbow Falls and Devils Postpile and visited the Minaret Vista. Next day to the Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains and a hike in Rock Creek. Charged again in Mammoth.

Two big surprises:
1) In Mammoth, at 90% charged, the car told me I have enough to get back to Sunnyvale. Ended up with 10% left! Even after going back over Tioga Pass.
2) In 4 days, I did more than 30000 ft elevation gains! And my energy usage (14000 mile average is 360 Wh/m) was an amazing 320 Wh/m. Better than any road trip I've done. Energy recovery for elevation change must work exceptionally well.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
In 4 days, I did more than 30000 ft elevation gains! And my energy usage (14000 mile average is 360 Wh/m) was an amazing 320 Wh/m. Better than any road trip I've done. Energy recovery for elevation change must work exceptionally well.
That, and much of your driving was at slower speeds and at higher elevations. I believe the speed limit tops out at 45 mph on Tioga Road and on many of the other mountain roads that you drove. At higher elevations, due to the air being less dense, there is less aerodynamic drag which helps efficiency.

Thinking about doing a road trip this June, if Tioga pass is open, and would love some feedback
Bay area to Yosemite. Charge in groveland and in the park .
Then would like to go across the pass to go visit Bodie.
Go to south lake Tahoe.

With an S85 and 4 people, is it even feasible?
I’m planning to make the trip over Tioga Pass charging at Groveland SC then making for Mammoth Lakes SC. Did you end up doing the trip in the S85? How did it go?