Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling by Supercharger can be more expensive than ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Increase gasoline tax by .50 cent/gal and pay for free supercharging for everyone.
are you advocating some income redistribution? why should an owner of an ICE vehicle pay to support fuel for your car?

be careful about advocating this or more states could institute road use taxes for EVs in lieu of fuel taxes. GA charges some obscene amount of road use taxes on EVs. they assume some huge mileage numbers to support the levy

Reactions: cdswm3
are you advocating some income redistribution? why should an owner of an ICE vehicle pay to support fuel for your car?

I am arguing for the incentivizing of EVs and other forms of transportation and penalizing of dirty gas guzzling vehicles. Call it what you would like.

The fact that Georgia is a backward state is irrelevant...

be careful about advocating this or more states could institute road use taxes for EVs in lieu of fuel taxes. GA charges some obscene amount of road use taxes on EVs. they assume some huge mileage numbers to support the levy
It’d be a political mistake to combine the two, as you argue, people would be upset if gas taxes benefitted EV owners.

Just raise gas taxes and use the revenue to fund improving roads and bridges. And raise some EV tax to build out charging infrastructure on all the highways. No one is against improving roads and bridges. And EV owners shouldn’t be against building out EV charging infrastructure.

It’d be a political mistake to combine the two, as you argue, people would be upset if gas taxes benefitted EV owners.

Just raise gas taxes and use the revenue to fund improving roads and bridges. And raise some EV tax to build out charging infrastructure on all the highways. No one is against improving roads and bridges. And EV owners shouldn’t be against building out EV charging infrastructure.

Why shouldn't EV owners also pay to improve roads and bridges. The benefit everyone using them. Chargers only help EV owners.

I am arguing for the incentivizing of EVs and other forms of transportation and penalizing of dirty gas guzzling vehicles. Call it what you would like.

The fact that Georgia is a backward state is irrelevant...

It’s not just GA, California which is obviously a super pro EV state charges higher registration for EV too to make up for gas tax. It makes sense. Don’t think EVs need much incentivizing anymore, just a level playing fuel. I didnt buy my EV to save the world or because of incentives, bought it because its a better daily use car than gas.

Reactions: cdswm3 and mk677
Why should EV owners pay more taxes... that's nuts. Let's tax ICEs first then talk about EVs. The point is to get majority of us to EVs first... you don't want to slow adoption down.
Adoption should come from EVs being a better product, not gov’t propped up. Why should people who drive around in 20k Honda Civics subsidize people driving 120k Teslas and Taycans?

Sorry might be getting off topic here :p

Reactions: mk677
Most EV's coming out onto the market right now are 10k more than their ICE compatriots. So that means if you buy a non Tesla Ev you have to pay about 80,000 miles of fuel up front. So this all comes down to how much is the model 3 worth to you for what it does. When you compare it as just a method of transport then yes you are paying between £6000 and £10000 more for the car up front for being battery powered. That is before any extra software features. IMO Tesla still have the best EV;s and charging network. But EV's being cheap to run seems far fetched when they start at a premium price. Skip forward 10 years and you hope producing the packs becomes super cheap. Teslas will self drive. So my answer to the above with this in mind is no EV's are not cheaper to run just a better future for the planet long term.

Why should EV owners pay more taxes... that's nuts. Let's tax ICEs first then talk about EVs. The point is to get majority of us to EVs first... you don't want to slow adoption down.
Federal and state level EV tax credits, rebates and other incentives are what help push EV adoptions but I think it's reasonable to expect EV owners to help pay for road and bridge construction, repair, maintenance, etc. similar to how ICE owners do through federal and state gasoline taxes. The easiest way to do this is some sort of annual miles based registration/usage fee e.g., XX cents per hundred miles federal and something comparable for state.

It’s not just GA, California which is obviously a super pro EV state charges higher registration for EV too to make up for gas tax. It makes sense. Don’t think EVs need much incentivizing anymore, just a level playing fuel. I didnt buy my EV to save the world or because of incentives, bought it because its a better daily use car than gas.

what’s your point?

• Disagree
Most EV's coming out onto the market right now are 10k more than their ICE compatriots. So that means if you buy a non Tesla Ev you have to pay about 80,000 miles of fuel up front. So this all comes down to how much is the model 3 worth to you for what it does. When you compare it as just a method of transport then yes you are paying between £6000 and £10000 more for the car up front for being battery powered. That is before any extra software features. IMO Tesla still have the best EV;s and charging network. But EV's being cheap to run seems far fetched when they start at a premium price. Skip forward 10 years and you hope producing the packs becomes super cheap. Teslas will self drive. So my answer to the above with this in mind is no EV's are not cheaper to run just a better future for the planet long term.

Model 3 seems to be competitively priced with their ICE competitor like a BMW 3 or Mercedes C Class. Leasing is not as competitive but thats because of Teslas pricing/ sales model.

Federal and state level EV tax credits, rebates and other incentives are what help push EV adoptions but I think it's reasonable to expect EV owners to help pay for road and bridge construction, repair, maintenance, etc. similar to how ICE owners do through federal and state gasoline taxes. The easiest way to do this is some sort of annual miles based registration/usage fee e.g., XX cents per hundred miles federal and something comparable for state.

Agreed

To pay their fair share of the pollution they cause

Look up 'cost externality'

Sure maybe some incentives to get new cars on the road as EVs, but I don’t think people who already have these ICE cars (in some cases, have had for years) should be penalized for “their fair share”. EV’s do not fit into many peoples life styles (especially in the US where we have longer distance commutes)

what’s your point?

EV’s don’t need subsidized running costs.

Model 3 seems to be competitively priced with their ICE competitor like a BMW 3 or Mercedes C Class. Leasing is not as competitive but thats because of Teslas pricing/ sales model.

Agreed

Sure maybe some incentives to get new cars on the road as EVs, but I don’t think people who already have these ICE cars (in some cases, have had for years) should be penalized for “their fair share”. EV’s do not fit into many peoples life styles (especially in the US where we have longer distance commutes)

no, they don’t. But it’s still good government policy to give them; and to penalize ice vehicles.

• Disagree
OK its late, bur Boris Badenov would buy an ICE. Bullwinkle and Rocky would
get a Tesla. What in the name of Gin and Tonic makes anyone think that a
government makes sane rules. Even thought I went to (whats a matter U) I say
drink in lockdown for cheap, and lets drive the wheels off our cars.
What was the post?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and dmurphy
OK its late, bur Boris Badenov would buy an ICE. Bullwinkle and Rocky would
get a Tesla. What in the name of Gin and Tonic makes anyone think that a
government makes sane rules. Even thought I went to (whats a matter U) I say
drink in lockdown for cheap, and lets drive the wheels off our cars.
What was the post?

Mr. Peabody says Prost!!!

To pay their fair share of the pollution they cause

Look up 'cost externality'

EV,s produce more CO2 in production, cost more in the first place even when subsidised and produce more tyre particulates so payment that is fair on both sides until ICE is fazed out. The roads need fixing so some sort of tax will be needed. Here in the UK even with £3000 off any EV it makes it far in excess its ICE equivalent which is totally wrong its actually turning into complete bullshit for the consumer.

Agreed

BMW 3 series is £10,000 cheaper than an entry model 3? So i am not sure how that works. That is at least 80k in fuel.

As a new EV owner I did not realize the costs of supercharging *can* be more than gas.
That's a very valid concern. Or observation. And that brings me to the crap savings claim Tesla makes on their website when showing the 'price with gas savings'. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any for people who use the car to travel at least some. And if you travel a lot, having to use superchargers, it might be the opposite. Ha ha. I don't keep tabs of 'mileage' on any vehicle, and I honestly don't expect the EPA ratings to be right, but some folks like to do keep tabs of every trip, compare, and complain. Ha ha. And those are typically the ones who keep things in check, so I have zero problem with them :).

I've been driving my Model 3 for 2.5 years now and have NEVER needed to charge anywhere but at home. Supercharger costs would/should only be a concern if you take a lot of long trips. I'd 90+% of EV drivers operate within the round trip range of their cars nearly all the time. If they don't they probably should have thought about their choice harder.

Reactions: dmurphy