TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Traveling from Key West to the Canadian Border

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

With Marathon and Plantation, now it looks like they'll just need Maine Superchargers to from the Keys to Canadian border.

2. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

To be technical about it, you can already get from the Keys to the Canadian border at Detroit (more quickly than Maine will be) or Seattle and in a couple weeks via Buffalo.

3. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

To be real technical about it , without Marathon, you CANNOT get from Key West to Canada on superchargers. The distance from KW to the nearest SC in N Palm Beach is over 200 miles it would be a scary ride pushing the limits not one most would want to take.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

To be very technical about this route, because of the relatively low speeds on US1 across the Keys, EV Trip Planner says that using standard parameters in an 85 on 19's, it only takes 220 rated miles to cover the 236 road miles. Starting in Key West with a 100%, overnight charge, this should be a relatively easy drive in an 85.

Key West.png

Proof of ability does not mean there is good spacing. As have argued many times 133 or so miles, as a maximum distance between Superchargers, makes for easy, comfortable driving of a Model S using Superchargers. Tesla understands this well, and the distance between Plantation and Marathon is 135 miles. It will be very nice when both of these South Florida Superchargers are open.

5. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

What is worse, the cold or the elevation? :p

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Neither; wind is a four letter word. :eek:

But, be careful of those causeways... :biggrin:

7. aviators99

Sorry, I meant already once Marathon was done anyway. I was just saying that you don't need Maine.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I wish I'd have not omitted "along US-1/I-95".

Sorry Larry.

9. aviators99

Why are you sorry? You don't find this discussion interesting? Threads don't cost any money.