Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling in Snow and Extremely Cold Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still on the fence between S and X.

Just watched a video blog of a family in an X traveling through so very cold weather. There were some issues with the windshield fogging and it was mentioned about Snow building up on the hood without an engine producing heat to melt it.

Since I'm still on the fence, is this an issue with one more then the other ? Or maybe, not an issue at all ?

(MODS..... I would like to post this in both forums to make sure I reach both. Hope that's ok!)

I'm still on the fence between S and X.

Just watched a video blog of a family in an X traveling through so very cold weather. There were some issues with the windshield fogging and it was mentioned about Snow building up on the hood without an engine producing heat to melt it.

Since I'm still on the fence, is this an issue with one more then the other ? Or maybe, not an issue at all ?

(MODS..... I would like to post this in both forums to make sure I reach both. Hope that's ok!)
No issue with my S regarding this and we've had some very cold weather in Ontario recently. Will this be your first Tesla? Reason why I'm asking is because it appears you've been on the site for a few months already (no doubt doing your research :) ).

No issue with my S regarding this and we've had some very cold weather in Ontario recently. Will this be your first Tesla? Reason why I'm asking is because it appears you've been on the site for a few months already (no doubt doing your research :) ).

Yes, it will be my first, and yes doing a LLLOOOTTT of research at this price point !! LOL

Yes, it will be my first, and yes doing a LLLOOOTTT of research at this price point !! LOL
That's exactly what I did! A lot of folks have had negative experiences with service, but that varies from one Service center to another. I have not had any issues in my neck of the woods and I will NEVER go back to an ICE car ever.

Have you driven a Tesla yet? Are you planning on buying new or used?

My windshield eventually fogs if I don't keep the climate control on, but I'd say that's pretty normal. I've not experienced snow in my car yet.

In the brutal cold, your range will take a sizable hit. Pretend you only get 70% of your rated range and then see if you'd be okay with it.

We've got one of each.

We tend to use the S for trips to snowier places (Maine), but only because we bought snow tires for the S and haven't (yet) for the X.

The X has a huge windshield, so I might imagine getting the defroster to the clear the top might be an issue, but we've not yet experienced that.

If the X was parked outside overnight in snowy conditions, I would be more concerned about clearing off the roof before opening the FWD. I've not experiences that problem, yet. As our kids are all grown, we rarely use the back seats anyway. (I'm not a fan of the FWD; we got the X in spite of them because my wife wanted an SUV).

2 years ago we drove the S to Buffalo in an ice storm. The front end and hood had a build-up of ice and snow, but it didn't look much worse than every other vehicle driving on the NYS Thruway. With the Tesla, however, the ice build-up blocked the radar, which not only disabled AutoPilot but all TACC (cruise control). That was annoying. I've since learned (from Tesla's Winter Driving Tips) to use Rust-Oleum Top Coat to help prevent that problem.

Overall, I wouldn't say one is better or worse than the other.

Last edited:
I am planning on new.

Yes, I have driven both, that's the issue...... Took a short trip to the dealership in Cleveland just to see an S with the interior color I was all set to order. Salesperson asked if we wanted to drive an X. Back to square one.

The first thing I noticed was the windshield view from the X was fantastic!!! I also liked the automatic doors and that it's higher and easier to get in and out of.

Now the delima, Wife does not like the FWD's. I also think the S is a much more stylish looking vehicle. I'm also thinking about the extra cost with X possible needing the front and back climate control to be comfortable for all occupants.

The list goes on.......

Reactions: E Dizzle
I am planning on new.

Yes, I have driven both, that's the issue...... Took a short trip to the dealership in Cleveland just to see an S with the interior color I was all set to order. Salesperson asked if we wanted to drive an X. Back to square one.

The first thing I noticed was the windshield view from the X was fantastic!!! I also liked the automatic doors and that it's higher and easier to get in and out of.

Now the delima, Wife does not like the FWD's. I also think the S is a much more stylish looking vehicle. I'm also thinking about the extra cost with X possible needing the front and back climate control to be comfortable for all occupants.

The list goes on.......
Another point to keep in mind is that X is less efficient than the S (heavier etc) and for the same battery size, your range will be better in the S. Do you really need the extra space in the X? The S is pretty spacious because of the hatchback design.

Since your wife doesn't like the FWD and you like the stunning design of the S, I would just get the S. :)

Reactions: jlv1
Another point to keep in mind is that X is less efficient than the S (heavier etc) and for the same battery size, your range will be better in the S. Do you really need the extra space in the X? The S is pretty spacious because of the hatchback design.

Since your wife doesn't like the FWD and you like the stunning design of the S, I would just get the S. :)

I agree, the S is the easy winner in several categories with both of us. But Father Time marches on and I am planning on keeping this one (another cost issue) for a while. The X is so much easier to get in and out of and my back is NOT getting any younger !!

Reactions: SilverGS
Define "cold"? I've driven the S in snow plenty, and I've driven it in single digit weather with wind. Besides the expected range hit, car handled fine.

I would define Cold as anything below Zero with winds to drive wind chill to unsafe temperatures .......From Copper Harbor to Monroe in Michigan that can be ANY day between August and May.

I would define Cold as anything below Zero with winds to drive wind chill to unsafe temperatures .......From Copper Harbor to Monroe in Michigan that can be ANY day between August and May.

Cold for an EV is anything below 45F ;)

All EV's seem to have the same issues. I had a Model 3, still have a Volt and a Model X.

They all like to fog up easier than an ICE. I think most ICE cars always pump in some fresh air (even if on recirculate) and they can afford to heat it, for no additional cost. Auto HVAC works fairly well. But you can save a little energy if you manually run it and keep a close eye on it.

I don't think heat from ICE engine makes a huge difference.

The Model S/X does have heated wiper blades which is nice. I don't believe the Model 3 did.
The Model S/X has heated wheel which is nice. Model 3 does not. But it's more instantaneous heat made up for it.
They all have heated side view mirrors.
They all have powerful rear window defogger.
They all have powerful HVAC fans.
They all have powerful heated seats front and back.

You will hear a lot about Frozen Frameless Windows. Tesla could do a lot better there. There are ways to deal with it. If you think it's frozen, Preheat first to be safe. You can test windows with the Mobile App Vent. Not good if you manage to open the door without the window automatically dropping down. Needs more TLC than average.

Model S door handles can freeze.
Model 3 door handles can freeze.
Model X door handles barely freeze (because they are mostly just a button).

Handles need way more TLC than average, except Model X.

I highly recommend a garage with a Tesla if you live in Snow Country. You can get by without, but it's a bit more annoying than an ICE when covered in Ice. The more Ice and snow covering avoidance the better. It's not that they will outright fail, it's that they need a fair bit of TLC when all iced up.

Snow traction wise. Model X is the best AWD I've ever driven (I'm sure S is the same). Model 3 AWD was probably the worst I've ever driven (it's still an AWD and better than RWD or FWD) but disappointing. I always run snows on anything with 4 wheels and I recommend others do as well that live in snow country. It's cheap insurance.

Because of the cost of heating and sometimes preheating it's really a good idea to go for the absolute maximum range battery. Performance and max size wheels cost quite a bit in range.

One other thing to check is insurance. You will see wildly different rates for Tesla's. You can find reasonable rates if you shop around.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlv1 and SilverGS