TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Traveling to Downtown Sacramento tonight for concert

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Blup85, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I'm off to a John Mayer concert I really want to bring my 85 MS, but I live about 100 miles north of Sac and I have some range anxiety. I'll be getting out of Sacramento late, and don't want to sit at a charger for 2 hours to get 40 miles of charge to get me home. I can't wait for the Supercharger in N. Sac to be completed, that would solve everything, but unfortunately it hasn't even started construction. The concert is at Golden1 Arena, downtown. Does anyone have some advice on what might be available so it can charge while at the concert and we can just head on home after? Like I said, I just need about 40-50 miles of charge to get me home (its hot, and AC will be going full blast there and back!)

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Charge to 100% find an L2 charger to plug into during the concert?
    Or stop at a Nissan dealer and use their CHAdeMO before the concert?

3. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Check plugshare.com. Looks like there are multiple public garages within a two-block distance that have L2 chargers, and you'll have to park somewhere, anyway.

4. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Well I think I lucked out. I "reserved" a parking spot in the US bank parking lot across the street from the Center. There are 4 ev chargers there onsite, so I hope they are unfilled. Otherwise I'll have to find a Chademo charger on the way home ;(
    upload_2017-7-27_10-49-22.png

5. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

But if you have time before the concert re-charge at the CHAdeMO before hand...

6. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

The Chargepoint app gives historic data usage for each charger. At that location, it looks like the usage really drops off after 5PM on Thursdays, so you should be fine.

And yeah, I am itching to plan another road trip. :)

• Like x 1
  7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

If you live north of Sac, why not either charge at the Rocklin supercharger (on I80) or the Folsom location (I50)? You're going by a supercharger, no matter which way you go.

8. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I'm coming down hwy 99. Rocklin is way out there :)

9. bonnie

You
    And you're south of Corning, I take it? Then the suggestions above are best :). I'd consider getting into Sac or surrounding areas a little early for dinner & plug in while eating.

Good luck! And enjoy the evening. :)

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.46.33 AM.png

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

why would a trip of 200 miles in an 85 be problematic? that 200 mile trip should be within the capabilities of that car.

• Like x 1
  11. bonnie

Scratch what I said earlier. I looked at the map & if it were me & I didn't think my battery could handle the roundtrip, I'd leave a little earlier & cut over to Roseville on 65 to top off beforehand. Then you can relax and enjoy the evening. At best, that detour would add about 20 -30 minutes onto your trip.

You won't have to worry about running the AC full blast or anything else. Have a light dinner at the Galleria - or stop at my fav Mexican restaurant, Zocalo's. It's just across the street.

12. bonnie

It's pretty hot there right now, Kort - like 100+ deg. So AC is going to take toll. Also, it's easy to speed on 99 :).

13. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Nope, p85 with 21" tires ~about 340w/mile+ @ 65, and we always have a south wind in the valley during the day, and North wind in the evening. So working against me both ways. We do a round trip to the airport which is only 85mile one way and are always down to about 10-15 miles when I get home with warnings yelling at me the whole way home to slow down ;)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to take my chances and hope the destination charger in the lot is available, if not I'll have to stop at the Chademo about 6-7 blocks away. It will be the first time I've used it amazingly..so I'm kind of hoping I get to use it.

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

in my experience ac doesn't make a big hit on range, I live in fla and have seen how the heat affects range

15. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I arrived with open spaces to charge and no j1772 adapter to charge with.. classic. I'm sure it's in my 6 years olds luggage from our last trip to the lake. Guess Im going through Rocklin on the way home. Ha!

16. bonnie

well that stinks. At least you have a Plan B. Enjoy the concert!

17. ddimit

ddimit Member

Sorry I missed this before you came. for future reference. The 4 story Garage next to Macy's has level 2 chargers for free use on the bottom level kind of hidden but mostly unused. (Parking fee applies) there is a SMUD DCFC/Chademo recently installed at the train station parking lot at 5th and I for those that have a Chademo adapter. County Garage at 8th and H has chargepoint (free) 6+ stations on the second floor. (parking fee applies).

The good news is construction has started on the SuperCharger at 80 and Truxel!

• Informative x 1
  18. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Great info for future Golden1 Center trips. Great venue!
    Thanks!