Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling to friends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer member. I just got my VIN on a 75D Model S and had a question regarding traveling.
Which, if any, extension cords do you bring with your Tesla when you travel? I am traveling to a friends house who lives in the country and no where near a super charger. What would you use to charge overnight in this type of situation?
Thanks to all that reply.

Depends on what’s there. I’d ask my friend if he has any 240V plugs that I might be able to use, maybe in the garage or for a dryer. Ideally get a photo, then identify the plug and bring the right adapter. Depending on the location I might buy or make an extension cord too.

If there's no 240 then I’d bring a high-gauge 120V extension cord, just in case the nearest outlet isn’t all that close.

I like these kinds of logistical charging dilemmas, and I have some suggestions that come in a few categories:

1. Supercharger + 120V outlet. This is probably easiest, depending on how far they are from the nearest Supercharger. A Supercharger is going to be several times more power than anything you can get at their house, so you may be well served to stay the extra 20-30 minutes to get your car charged to nearly full at the Supercharger and then you can get about 40 miles or so overnight from their house without having to do anything complicated with adapters. That may be enough to bridge the gap to and from their house.

2. Drop off for some local charging. Probably second easiest. You have a ride since you’re visiting a friend, so look up on Plugshare where there is a charging station or RV park in their city. Have your friend drive over with you, hook up, and then leave your car there for some hours while you go and do stuff and come back to pick it up later or in the morning. This is also pretty easy if you need more range than option 1.

3. High-ish power charging at friend’s house. The only accessible 240V outlet you can find at most people’s houses is an electric dryer outlet. That will be either a 10-30 for older homes (pre-1996) or 14-30 for newer homes. The tough thing might be how reasonably close to the garage/driveway is it and how hard is that going to be going through doorways or upstairs from a basement laundry room? (yes, I’ve done that one) Making this work is sometimes tough and not worth the bother, but it is nice to know you can be full in the morning. If you’re going to do this, I recommend these:

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

That is a 20 foot extension that can handle 30 or 50 amp circuits. The plug on the end does not have the neutral pin, so it can plug into either 14-50 or 14-30. Very nice. I do recommend this over getting a real RV extension cord because those also include the unused neutral wire, which makes them much heavier and bulkier and more cumbersome to work with for no benefit. They do also have a 50 foot version.

NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter

And if they have an older dryer outlet, you will need this to adapt to the 10-30 plug.

*NOTE* You may have already heard about this, but if you are using the official Tesla 14-50 plug and then using these adapters to go down to a 30A outlet like a dryer, you will need to manually adjust the current in the car down to 24A or less.

Want to give a clue what city this is in, so we can check Plugshare or EVTripplanner to give more specific advice?

Reactions: brkaus and boaterva
The area is rural WI. So the only plug I would be able to use is their outdoor outlet which is nothing other than a regular outlet.
Thanks for the replies
Does it happen to be 120v/20A NEMA 5-20?

http://www.stjosephmusicfoundation.org/documents/Nema.pdf

If so, you would benefit from the 5-20 adaptor. Gets you 16a instead of 12a charging. % wise, it's pretty significant. Not sure if enough.

Is their breaker box accessible? Might be able to add an outlet?