TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Traveling to Wisconsin, possibly mt Rushmore need help

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by jmanning, Dec 26, 2016.

1. jmanning

jmanning Member

traveling via Model S from Mass to Madison, WI. Question is....traveling out to my Rushmore and crazy horse would take over 11 hours one way including SC stops. Would it be worth it to drive out there then back?

Any sites on way be worth seeing?

Anybody make this trip?

I have heard mt Rushmore isn't as glorious as one would think...

2. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

It's not the destination, it's the trip.

3. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

In the Winter it would be a so so experience. Late spring Mt. Rushmore and surroundings is worth a weekend trip.
    Sound of Silence

4. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

I agree with @andrewket. That said, I have been to Mt Rushmore. I was there years ago in January and surprisingly there wasn't that much snow on the ground. Because it was off season, there weren't that many people in the park. I thought it was beautiful and can still picture it. Unfortunately, I was in the area on business so I didn't have a lot of time to explore. I only wish it had been a road trip and I could have had more time.

I have friends that have a place in Whitefish MT, and they have dropped me a challenge: "there are 2 destination chargers here...when are you coming to visit..." I'm salivating at the thought...will have to see how I could do something like this before retirement.

5. azred

azred Member

Spend some time on the Internet researching the Black Hills. There is a lot more to see than Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse and the reason the Sturgis Rally is a big deal for motorcyclists has everything to do with the winding, scenic roads through the Black Hills, especially the Northern Black Hills. If I was going to spend a day there it would be in the Northern Black Hills -- Deadwood for sure.

6. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Custer State Park and the Badlands are gorgeous, and far outshined Mt Rushmore in my opinion. We did a cross country trip last summer in our Model X from Portland to Washington DC, up to Montreal, then back through Toronto, Niagra Falls, Ann Arbor, Lacrosse WI, and thence to Keystone SD. Never been there in the winter though.

7. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Badlands NP is great. Wind Cave NP is decent. The Corn Palace and Wall Drug are kitschy, but provide diversions on a long otherwise boring stretch of I-90. Deadwood is a unique historic town and has small-time gambling if you are into that.

I've never been to these places in winter, but can definitely vouch for May-September being nice.

• Like x 1
  8. jmanning

jmanning Member

Thanks for all the replys, will travel in early July this year. I am sure the crowds will be there, just wanted to know if going out specifically to that would be worth it on top of the drive from mass to Wisconsin, with a 9 year old and a wife who isn't a huge fan of road trips.

Any other experiences are welcome ! Looking forward to the adventure !!

9. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

By the time you reach Wisconsin you'll have a good idea if wife and 9 year old want to go there.

• Funny x 1
  10. gerti

gerti Member

When we made that trip in October we liked the badlands so much that we drive through them both ways, once during the day and once around sunset. That was spectacular. Mt Rushmore disappoints, Crazy Horse even more. But the black hills themselves are a must see, be sure to drive both the Needles Highway and the Iron Mountain Road. Sylvan Lake is worth a walk around. And if you are in that area during the night, be sure to look up, never seen so many stars because it is high up and far from major light polution.

If you need an appetizer, part of "Nattional Treasure 2: Book of Secrets" plays there (the lake shown is Sylvan Lake and it is not really right behind Mt Rushmore).

But it is out of season, and most places are closed or may not even be accessible right now. Be sure to check first.

11. cpa

cpa Active Member

Not sure how long you have been in Massachusetts and how much of these United States you and your family have seen from the window of an automobile.

The landscape, demographics, agriculture and climate change quite a bit the farther west you go. Wisconsin is nothing like western South Dakota. And all of South Dakota is a foreign land compared to Massachusetts--even rural Massachusetts.

I may be in the minority here, but I feel that taking road trips like this expand our personal horizons. We learn a little bit about our fellow Americans who happen to live in vastly different parts of the country. I find that this is a good experience for all of us, but especially our children who live more insular lives.

As stated above, Wall Drug and The Corn Palace are kitschy tourist attractions. At least the Corn Palace has some educational value. Wall Drug does have a soda fountain, however, if you are in the mood for a malted or lime phosphate.

• Like x 2
  12. daxz

daxz Member

Last year, mid July we went there. My kids 9 & 12 loved going to Watiki Indoor Waterpark in Rapids City, especially the super bowl in there. Stayed at hotel there and did waterpark first thing Saturday morning then went to Rushmore, stopped in Keystone and then went to Devil's Tower and finally stayed Gillette, WY. It was a little crowed at Mt. Rushmore but nothing overwhelming. Keystone SD which is a tourist trap right by Mt. Rushmore was very busy though. We drive long distances a lot for trips this one was about a 1,000 miles long for us. Sister and nephew drove from Madison area to meet up and really enjoyed going through Badlands (both ways).

13. ElectricTundra

Agree with the above. Driving around the country (and the world) and taking time to see the landscape, visit places, and talk to and get to know the local people a bit is well worth the time.

Our kids wanted to attend university outside the country but it's something we would have encouraged anyway. They all ended up at St Andrews which has one of the most international student bodies in the world. Over their four years there they gained valuable perspective on the world we live in and today have close friends from numerous other countries. They lost their Amero-centricness, learned how others do some things much better and gained an appreciation for what we have in the US and why it is a great country.

14. jmanning

jmanning Member

Have lived in Mass all my life but drove down to Florida a couple times in my life. I haven't seen the middle part of the country at all and look forward to it. Look forward to giving our son a different view of just Mass.
    Going to Niagara Fall two nights, Toronto a bit, Dearborn MI ford Museum overnight, on to Chicago, then Madison for family. Anything on that trip should be a MUST see??

15. cdeszaq

cdeszaq New Member

Everything that everyone else has mentioned are great things to hit on a trip from Madison, WI to Rushmore. I used to live in Madison myself, still with lots of family and friends there, and have done that exact same trip, and it's fantastic. In July is, I think, when we went (it was a few years ago), but the Badlands, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse, Needle Highway, Custer, Deadwood, and Wall Drug are all great. And just outside the Badlands is an old Minuteman Missile silo / control center that you can visit which was pretty cool (I know I enjoyed it, and I'm sure I as a 9-year-old would have liked it even more)

16. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I was just in Mt. Rushmore in late October, and the area was starting to shut down for the season.

I think it is well worth while to visit.
    We arrived at dusk, and it is set so that you approach and view the monument through a row of flags.
    The monuments are will lighted, and there is also the Crazy Horse monument nearby which is being constructed.
    There are Four scheduled days a year that they do major blastings, so maybe that would be something you schedule your trip around.

In Western Wisconsin is Spring Green, which has Frank Lloyd Wright's home at Taliesen East, and his school.
    Beautiful museum on the Lake in Milwaukee, and lots to see in Madison.