Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traveling with Dogs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
While I'd prefer never to leave a dog in the car, there are times on a roadtrip where there is no choice. I saw different signs left on car windows online & ordered some static cling signs from signs.com. They work on the inside of outside of the window (both sides cling). This one is stuck to the passenger window, from the inside.

A few people have asked me for the design - you're free to update it with your cell number. Just follow this link: https://www.signs.com/design/?id=4c72a9f4-fa29-447e-9b78-e9c217395c55

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 10.33.04 AM.png

I use two printed signs (normal white paper, mounted on cardboard) that I put on either side of my dog crate. Since the MX back windows are already so dark, I thought it better to draw less attention (than a sign on the window) and I presume that if someone is truly looking in at the dog & crate then they should see one of my signs. At least that's my theory, and I hope I'm never proven right or wrong. I also realize this approach doesn't work so well if your dog is loose and more likely to be visible.

We have about five signs on our Tesla when we park it with the dogs. One on every window so you can't miss them. Still doesn't stop people from calling the police.

My wife had it happen once. She had to show the cop the AC was on and the car was cold. He was like, "ok", and went on his way.

Traveling w Dogs - Pro Tip #2: To keep the dogs from jumping in the front seat when I"m not there, I just take my Tesla umbrella that I keep in the side door pocket, open it, and leave it on the center divider between the seats.

I don't think it's the barrier so much that stops them - I think it's more a belief that the front seats are full of umbrella.

We have about five signs on our Tesla when we park it with the dogs. One on every window so you can't miss them. Still doesn't stop people from calling the police.

My wife had it happen once. She had to show the cop the AC was on and the car was cold. He was like, "ok", and went on his way.

Now you can just add Bonnie's cell phone number to your signs and have no more worries. Isn't TMC great!

Great idea. We've used 8.5 x 11 sheets enclosed in page protectors. White paper signs on a black dashboard are hard to miss. They read:

THIS CAR IS
ELECTRIC

AIR CONDITIONER
IS RUNNING!

DOGS ARE SAFE!

OWNERS RETURNING
SHORTLY
[CELL NUMBERS]

Still like the idea of a visible temperature reading as proof...