Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travelling from West Midlands to London advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Somex

Model 3 SR+ in a whiter shade of pale
Mar 25, 2021
UK
Please excuse me if this has previously been covered but...
Are there any listers familiar with southern approaches to London that can suggest a suitable hassle free, ideally low cost, place to park my car (Tesla model 3) with easy access for a family to access the underground or overground train network into central London?
Our normal route to London from West Midlands is via M1 or more usually via M40
I seem to recall mention of "Westfields" on A40, but TBH don't have a clue as to exactly what or where that is, or if there are any time restrictions on parking up there.
(Some shopping areas restrict time on site or restrict entry or access times.)
The convenience of parking and trains is more important than chargers to us.
If anyone has a suggestion, (keep it clean please:)) would they please be specific about the location of any suggested places.
I have never done "the knowlege" so I don't know outer London like the back of my hand. I'm one of those foreigners otherwise known as Brummies😂

I tend to come into London from M1 or A1 not M40, so there may be better options.

I often use the Sainsbury at Edgware:
Broadwalk Shopping Centre, Station Rd, Edgware HA8 7BQ
There is plenty of parking including some commuter spaces at the far end in a separate car park that cost less for the full day - they are in demand and it fills up quickly though. Plenty of normal parking and never failed to get a space. Short walk (less than 5 mins) to Edgware tube station.
No EV chargers installed there at the moment.

Brent Cross looks like an option but I've never used it:
Free parking, Brent Cross tube station. Shopping/food and Superchargers on site.

Upvote 0
Brent cross north side of the north circular if coming from the M1, Westfield is a big shopping centre near Shepherds Bush/White City if you're coming from the M40/A40. Thats probably a little easier for access to central london as its a couple of stops on the tube from Paddington.

Upvote 0
I tend to come into London from M1 or A1 not M40, so there may be better options.

I often use the Sainsbury at Edgware:
Broadwalk Shopping Centre, Station Rd, Edgware HA8 7BQ
There is plenty of parking including some commuter spaces at the far end in a separate car park that cost less for the full day - they are in demand and it fills up quickly though. Plenty of normal parking and never failed to get a space. Short walk (less than 5 mins) to Edgware tube station.
No EV chargers installed there at the moment.

Brent Cross looks like an option but I've never used it:
Free parking, Brent Cross tube station. Shopping/food and Superchargers on site.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will further investigate

Upvote 0
Brent cross north side of the north circular if coming from the M1, Westfield is a big shopping centre near Shepherds Bush/White City if you're coming from the M40/A40. Thats probably a little easier for access to central london as its a couple of stops on the tube from Paddington.
Thank you, any idea if there are any entry exit or length of stay restrictions (other than normal supercharger overstay fees)?

Upvote 0
I would suggest parking at Hounslow West and then 45 minutes on Piccadilly line. As its on the Heathrow line, trains are frequent and all day parking was always pretty cheap. Time it for when an all zone 1-6 travel card is valid and you get cheap (mostly) all mode travel. Its not too far a detour from M40 via M25 although if you know them local roads work well at certain times of the day.

Its been a while since I have done similar so you would need to double check workings now. Travel card and parking arrangements may have changed.

Upvote 0
Please excuse me if this has previously been covered but...
Are there any listers familiar with southern approaches to London that can suggest a suitable hassle free, ideally low cost, place to park my car (Tesla model 3) with easy access for a family to access the underground or overground train network into central London?
Our normal route to London from West Midlands is via M1 or more usually via M40
I seem to recall mention of "Westfields" on A40, but TBH don't have a clue as to exactly what or where that is, or if there are any time restrictions on parking up there.
(Some shopping areas restrict time on site or restrict entry or access times.)
The convenience of parking and trains is more important than chargers to us.
If anyone has a suggestion, (keep it clean please:)) would they please be specific about the location of any suggested places.
I have never done "the knowlege" so I don't know outer London like the back of my hand. I'm one of those foreigners otherwise known as Brummies😂
Back in the day when football was a spectator sport we had cause to visit Wembley a couple of times and always use Hillingdon underground station car park. Able to park all day for about £2 but may be different now? Definitely worth a look at as its easy to get to by car - M1 > M25 > M40. Regular tube service into London from there. Similar option at Uxbridge apparently (on the same line, but further in towards London).

Upvote 0
Coming in via M40/A40 then parking at Hillingdon Tube can work out well, really depends on the time you are travelling.

Early commuting time will be a pain to get in to Westfield at Shepherd's Bush, and you have a chance of getting a space at Hillingdon. If you are travelling later in the morning it'll be no issue getting in to Westfield and the spaces at Hillingdon would have gone already. If it is well after the rush an you are heading somewhere very central I would consider looking at JustPark, loads of places available and you can get a far shorter walk between car and tube (given the maze of the shopping center at Westfield if can take a while of walking on marble to find the tube).

Lots of option, none of them great, but that's London.

Upvote 0
Go to Stanmore Underground car park and jump on the jubilee line into central London. £6 all day.
Alternatively use justpark to book a space in Central london near to your destination. (assuming you already applied for CC exemption or its £15)

Upvote 0