TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Treacherous Roads for EVs

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Curious article in search of a point of view.

But never mind hub motors and other tech solutions, the one vital question has got to be "What's your company's position on crash testing?"

I spoke with Chris Dell, the managing director of Lightning at the motor show, and he said that if production volumes are chosen carefully then there are significant differences in legislative requirements in the UK:-

http://www.vca.gov.uk/additional/files/vehicle-type-approval/vehicle-type-approval/vca002.pdf

This is an obvious attraction for smaller companies which is why so many go the whole hog and only offer quadracycles.

But I feel that this does put Tesla, Th!nk, smart (and possibly Lightning) into a different league.

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

So essentially if you make more than 500 cars you are not a small manufacturer any longer and need to crash test your car?
    Did the guy from Lightening say that they would crash test their cars ? Do they have airbags, nothing I've seen from them suggest they do.

Cobos

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

"The CEO of another EV company now in stealth..."

What/who could this be? Tesla certainly was in stealth mode for a few years.

I EMailed Martin about 3 months before the Roadster debut at Barker and by then he was at least admitting they were coming out with an Electric Car.

I wonder who these new players are and how far are they away from an announcement?
    Maybe they are a NEV maker (perhaps one named in the article) that are going mainstream.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Remember the 500 number was the minimum count that Lancia had to hit with the Stratos for it to be a true production based vehicle for homologation.

Homologation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

My understanding was no, they wouldn't. But he mentioned a threshold of 1000
    vehicles so we may have been talking at cross purposes.