TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Treaty of Vaals: Charging in 7 countries

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Adm, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Adm

Adm Active Member

#1 Adm, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    European EV owners from 7 countries (Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Portugal) can now charge in all those seven countries using the RFID card from their own country.

2. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

Very good news, thanks for sharing!

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Do you need a special RFID card to fill-up your ICE vehicle? I think they should all just take a credit card.

4. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I'm not so sure. My ChargePoint card is slightly faster and more convenient, and I'd worry that chargers in slightly more isolated locations (not obviously under constant surveillance) might be more subject to skimming setups. Especially here in the US where we're still using antiquated swipe-only cards.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I'm not sold on the RFID for credit cards. We got one and it was scammed in Disneyland (CA) while my wife was there the first week we had it.

6. Adm

Adm Active Member

I like the idea of a charge RFID. It will take a couple of weeks of continuous charging before that adds up in case they skim it.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

My point is that there should at least be a pay on site option without having to join a bunch of subscription schemes. One benefit of using a credit card is that there is a layer of fraud protection (assuming you're with a good credit provider).

8. Adm

Adm Active Member

Credit cards are not as widely used in Europe as they are in the USA. We have bank card (debit card?), but those do not necessarily work all over Europe and usually have relative high transaction fees when used abroad.
    The fact that you can use one card in 7 different European countries this early on is encouraging.

9. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

I read in an article from E-laad.nl that adding a pay on site option would add a cost of around Eur 1000,- to the charging unit.
    Also the transaction costs would be 5-6 times higher, then post paid, every month.

I just received my RFID charge card from thenewmotion.nl, the card itself is free, no monthly costs, just Eur 1 per hour of charging, very reasonable.

10. GSP

GSP Member