Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tremonton supercharger to Boise supercharger (271 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before the Twin Falls, ID supercharger comes online, I had to attempt Tremonton to Boise direct. I'll post a follow up on the return in a few days.

272 Miles @ 255wh/mi, 69.3kWh.

stats.PNG

graph.PNG

map.PNG

Left Tremonton on a full charge, 256RM is my current 100% but, hopefully after my return that number will be recalculated and increase.
4595_Starting-257rm_CLSSs.jpg

Welcome to Idaho
4598_Welcome-to-Idaho_CLSTuSs.jpg

42 Miles out of Tremonton
4600_42mi-out-of-tremonton_CLSTuSs.jpg

4601_162whmi30miavg_CLSTuSs.jpg

4602_Tesla-Beauty_CLSTuPg.jpg

53 Miles out of Tremonton
4603_53mi-out-of-tremonton_CLSTuSs.jpg

4604_53mi-out-of-tremonton-comp_CLSTuSs.jpg

4605_Idaho_CLSTuPg.jpg

68 Miles out of Tremonton
4606_68mi234whmi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4607__CLSTuSs.jpg

106 Miles out of Tremonton
4608_106mi-from-tremonton_CLSTuSs.jpg

4609_106mi_CLSTuSs.jpg

139 Miles out of Tremonton
4610_139mi-at-215whmi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4611_TwinFalls-130mitoBOI_CLSTuSs.jpg

Teaching the trip computer a lesson
4612_Teaching-the-trip-computer-a-thing-or-two_CLSTuSs.jpg

4613_181mi-out-of-tremonton-221whmi_CLSTuSs.jpg

82MPH in Neutral, or 5 totally free miles.
4614A_82MPHneutral_CLSTuSs.jpg

Getting closer to Boise, no fear of not making it now. A chance to go the speed limit!
4615_228mi-out-of-tremonton-247whmi_CLSTuSs.jpg

Ohhh construction, forced me to slow down. Goal was to pull into Boise SC with 0RM remaining... Oh well.
4617_265mi-out-of-tremonton_CLSTuSs.jpg

SUCCESS!
4619_Made-It_CLSTuSs.jpg

272 Miles @ 255wh/mi, 69.3kWh.

Nicely done indeed. Any idea how that would look in late-December give the low temps?

I'm planning on attempting Tremonton SC to Jackson, WY right around Christmas time. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to try it in one shot, would it?

I have been waiting for the Erie, PA supercharger to open before I can drive my 70D from Gaithersburg, MD to Toronto, ON - but this is encouraging. Cranberry Township SC to Buffalo SC is 205.3. So even at 300wh/m, it would be about 61KW. The question is can I squeeze 61 out of a 70KW with just the seat heaters going?

Would be so much easier if there was a SC in Erie, PA, but I can go to the Nissan dealer if need be.

I will be doing this leg next month. Wish they'd hurry up and build the Twin Falls Supercharger, but I know it won't be available, even if they start construction now. I sure as heck won't be attempting this segment without stopping in Twin Falls. :D Still, very cool that you were able to make it, and thanks for sharing your experience!

I'll be taking a different route (through California) on my return trip, so won't have to worry about that segment again..

MMH: Thanks for this! It brings back lots of memories from our trip between Minneapolis - Spokane and back. If I'd had you nerve, I would not have stopped to charge in Gillette Wyoming at the Crazy Woman RV Park. Can you tell me how you generated the graph of speed and elevation change at the top of your post.

This chart shows how I planned each checkpoint along the way to ensure I had enough energy to reach the next checkpoint and final destination.
boitrestats.jpg

Planning was done using EV Trip Planner and the following algorithms:
( Current RM / Distance ) x 280 = [Maximum usable wh/mi]
e.g. Tremonton to Boise is 272 Miles and I started with 257 RM, thus:
( 257 / 272 ) x 280
0.945 x 280 = 264wh/mi maximum usable for the entire trip.

From there I can break the trip up into segments and allocate an amount of energy to each segment.

The "magic number" of 280 is how many watt-hours the Model S says equals one rated mile, which can be determined by doing:
(Start RM - End RM) / Total Distance = Percentage offset
Avg wh/mi / Percentage offset = Rated wh/mi

From other forum posts, seems like most Teslas use about 280wh per RM.

Interestingly enough (because math is awesome), you can also determine about how much useable energy is in the battery by doing:
Remaining RM * 280 = remaining(ish... only way to know with 100% certainty is to use it all) watt-hours.
e.g:
57RM * 280 = 15960wh (15.9kWh) remaining in battery.

I Completed the return trip on Tuesday. I took the return a bit slower because of the elevation climb near the end, but now that I've done it once, if I were to do it again, I'd cruise around 60mph for the majority of the trip instead of 50mph.

boitrepoints.PNG

boitremap.PNG

boitregraph.PNG

-11% to Tremonton! Ha! I laugh in the trip planners general direction.
4625_boitotree_CLSTuSs.jpg

Fully charged, ticked up to 258RM, nice!
4629_Supercharged_CLSTuSs.jpg

20 Miles out, and doing good.
4632_20milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4634_40milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

A year ago, there were billboards along I-84 claiming wind power was "Dirty energy", "A swindle", and basically going to destroy everything...
4640_happinessgenerators_CLSTuPg.jpg

120 Miles out of Boise and a quick leg stretch later back on the road.
4650_120milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4651_120milesgraph_CLSTuSs.jpg

Silly trip planner.
4652_120milestrip_CLSTuSs.jpg

Notes reminding me what wh/mi I need to stay under for each upcoming segment.
4656_notes-and-goals_CLSTuSs.jpg

Checklist of things to things to do when starting and at each checkpoint.
4657_notes-and-goals2_CLSTuSs.jpg

180Miles @ 219wh/m
i
4662_180milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4663_180milesgraph_CLSTuSs.jpg

Welcome to Utah!
4678_WelcomeToUtah_CLSTuPg.jpg

I was being very conservative on the way back, because the 3000' climb had me slightly concerned. Once I realized I was going to have more than enough energy left over, I tried to make up for lost time.
4681_261milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

Success!
4687_272milesoutofboi_CLSTuSs.jpg

4688_272milesgraph_CLSTuSs.jpg

GIMME THE JUICE!
4689_Gimme-The-Juice_CLSTuSs.jpg

Bug covered Tesla in the golden hour.
4693_WildTeslaEatingDinner_CLSTuPg.jpg

4696_Supercharged_CLSTuSs.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done indeed. Any idea how that would look in late-December give the low temps?

I'm planning on attempting Tremonton SC to Jackson, WY right around Christmas time. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to try it in one shot, would it?

According to ev trip planner, done at 50MPH (assuming 15F and running the heater), it looks doable, but I would plan on have backup charging options (like rv parks) along the way if your enegry runs too low. Looks like there may also be some good charging options on plugshare along the way too.

- - - Updated - - -

Twin Falls SC has the permit. It shows to be online before the end of the year.

There's an entire thread for Twin Falls (Twin Falls, Idaho supercharger), I'm very happy Twin Falls is coming online. Next time I drive up to Boise, I should be able to do it again 80MPH the entire way =D that's why I had to get this direct one-shot done before then, this just wouldn't have been as exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

MMH: Thanks for this! It brings back lots of memories from our trip between Minneapolis - Spokane and back. If I'd had you nerve, I would not have stopped to charge in Gillette Wyoming at the Crazy Woman RV Park. Can you tell me how you generated the graph of speed and elevation change at the top of your post.

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 62stc (Amazon.com: Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld Navigator: GPS Navigation) for data logging on all road trips (I suspect, but haven't verified, that any Garmin device would work) After a trip, I use Garmin's Basecamp (BaseCamp | Garmin | United States) to load the GPS data and generate the graphs that I want. Google Earth could also be used, but GE mostly mostly annoys me.

Holy cow, @mmh! You are a madman, and I mean that in a good way. That is incredible. I just went down to SLC and back this past weekend for Comic Con. I did Boise to Elko Nevada in one shot, where the car's nav was telling me I would arrive with -2% remaining, but it was fine. I couldn't stomach doing that Tremonton to Boise leg without charging.

Holy cow, @mmh! You are a madman, and I mean that in a good way. That is incredible. I just went down to SLC and back this past weekend for Comic Con. I did Boise to Elko Nevada in one shot, where the car's nav was telling me I would arrive with -2% remaining, but it was fine. I couldn't stomach doing that Tremonton to Boise leg without charging.

Thanks =D

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I missed it, but what model do you have? I calculate a Wh/rated mile of 284 which is different than the S/P85, so I'm guessing you have a D. I also saw that you have 73kWh of battery which is average for a car with your mileage.

It's a 2014 S85 RWD