Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trend in Model 3 software configurations over time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
I was curious how standard AP has affected how people are configuring their Model 3s. Put this together quickly from the Survey wiki linked at the top of this forum sub-section.

Trend in Model 3 software configurations over time.png

For most of 2018, it looks like the "no software" rate hovered around 20% pretty consistently. Seems like the end of Q4 also represented a big shift in behavior (maybe people justifying FSD with tax credits on the mind?). From that point on, FSD configurations skyrocketed, reaching a peak of 72% of all April configurations (lead up to Autonomy day? Standard AP encouraging more to upgrade?). Of course now, the April and May "no software" rates are at record lows due to standard AP, with those percents only coming from survey errors or off menu cars. Will be interesting to see how May shapes up once we get a full month of data...

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
I wonder if the April FSD bump is due to the announced price increase? I’m guessing it will go back down in May (assuming you’re using the order date not delivery date).

I am using order date. The data is really spotty on deliveries. I'm guessing most people never edit their response once they get the delivery.

May FSD orders are down so far, down to 59% from 72%. But there are only 42 orders on the spreadsheet and less than a third of the month gone, so I'm not sure if that's entirely reliable yet.

Oh interesting. I thought that FSD has always been a separate option. Before January it was just EAP?

EAP features were split between AP and FSD is what I mean...and EAP no longer an option. So...let's say you want autopark, summon, NoA...now you have to order FSD to get all that when before you could get EAP.

Prior to that, to best of my knowledge, FSD wasn't even in online configurator but you could add it to your order for FSD capabilities yet to be developed. In other words, pre February FSD got you nothing immediately, just guaranteed you would get all FSD features when developed.

If you give me TACC, autosteer, and auto-lane change(initiated by driver pressing the turn signal stalk), I'd buy that package. Since auto-lane change is not included in AP apparently that has convinced many purchasers to step up to FSD, smart move by Tesla. However, for me it would cause me to buy no software.

If you give me TACC, autosteer, and auto-lane change(initiated by driver pressing the turn signal stalk), I'd buy that package. Since auto-lane change is not included in AP apparently that has convinced many purchasers to step up to FSD, smart move by Tesla. However, for me it would cause me to buy no software.

A la carte options would be cool...

Always though maybe they could charge for individual options and then offer a bundle at a discount to get all.

For example something like: 2k for NoA, 2k self park, 2k for summon..5k for all

A la carte options would be cool...

Always though maybe they could charge for individual options and then offer a bundle at a discount to get all.

For example something like: 2k for NoA, 2k self park, 2k for summon..5k for all

Hate to say it, but I think that’s overly complex. Managing that many “license keys” becomes a pain in the neck.

As it is, the various software configs are going to be messy once these cars start hitting the used market. Can you imagine if each feature were separately licenseable?

They used to. It was called EAP. People complained it cost too much and they really just wanted TACC for less money.

So Tesla killed EAP, moved all the fancy stuff to FSD, and now sells a cheaper TACC (plus AS) package. And folks now complain they wish they did it how they used to to do before listening to peoples complaints.

Short of every feature a-la-carte, which makes no sense for Tesla, they're just not going to make everyone happy.

Reactions: dmurphy
Hate to say it, but I think that’s overly complex. Managing that many “license keys” becomes a pain in the neck.

As it is, the various software configs are going to be messy once these cars start hitting the used market. Can you imagine if each feature were separately licenseable?

Yeah..but one of the confusing things now is the multiple overlapping bundles.. break them all into components and have binary license for each (each feature is off or on) then maybe it's actually simpler .

For example... EAP would never need to be listed as a package on the used market... Just the different features that comprise EAP as separate and the car has them or it doesnt