Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tri motor and single motor have swapped production times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla updates Cybertruck production timeline after strong pre-orders - Electrek

"
Tesla wrote about each model on that page:

• Single Motor RWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Single Motor RWD production is expected to begin in late 2022.”
  • Dual Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Dual Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
  • Tri Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
The automaker appears to have accelerated the timeline for the Cybertruck Tri Motor and delayed the Single Motor version to late 2022."

I know a bunch of households (including our own) originally ordered tri-motor but then noticed it was a year longer wait. We then ordered dual-motor to get one sooner. Now that tri-motor will be out at the same time, we probably won't go through with ordering the dual-motor. I guess we'll probably keep both orders for now, in case there ends up being a delay with the tri-motor.

There goes my plan of getting the Dual first then working for a year to convince my wife the Tri is worth the extra money! Haha.

Glad to see though, for those that had the Tri orders..as long as it doesn’t interrupt my Dual purchase timeline ;)

Reactions: Electruck
I think this is good news, i pre-ordered the dual motor so doesn't really affect me. Although i kinda figured the would produce the most expensive one first anyways, i can imagine tri-motor folks will be the first to configure, but that's purely speculation right now.

two nights ago i took a long thought on the truck, decided i would rather get the trimotor for multiple reasons. the change in timeline is cool but not making the mistake i made with the 3. ill be waiting a while to actually place my order.

Reading between the lines; was your mistake in taking delivery of one of the first 3's? Did you have issues?

I've reserved a Tri Motor as well and if I like it I could easily see keeping it for multiple decades. Due to that it's logical to want one without issues. Right now I'll keep my place in line which is probably middle front. Model 3 certainly has gotten better as production has continued but I don't think it's been a huge change, more in the realm of fit and finish. Super early cars did have the suspension and seats that were too firm and of course all the panel gap stuff.

Due to the way that Cybertruck is designed with body panels integral to the frame then fit and finish might not be as issue laden. Put another way, since the panels are part of the frame there is only one way it can all go together. Of course taking it the other way would be that since this is a new design and manufacturing technique it is very likely that there will be issues and it will take time for the bugs to be resolved.

all of my tesla issues have not really been core operation issues. mostly just the little things that stop working right. for the model 3 that was having the headlight replaces, taking it in because the card reader on the pillar stopped working, the early phone app was terrible, forced into buying the highest trim on a car that i really did not care about the premium interior stuff. just a lot of little issues that soured my opinion of the car in the early days. today i love the car and what happened was because i needed it when i needed it.

for cybrtrk, i have no rush in timeline as i dont have a working truck now anyhow.