Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 a month ago. Love the car, truly, but there are two rattles that are really irritating me. I found one, but the other was in the rear and totally elusive. Long story short, I found an app that helped me find it instantly. Using this app, it causes any rattle spots to continuously rattle so you can climb back there and isolate them while the car is stopped. It can even be done right at the service center. Even better, right when you pick up the car for the first time.

One of the rattles annoyed me for the longest time and had me thinking it was something in the rear right door panel. Turned on the tone generator and found out my kid had dropped a quarter into the bottom part of her child seat. I was cursing Tesla all the while :) Sorry Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: ceekz
Mine had some horrible rattles and they fixed them at the service center. They were really bad though.
I haven't had the 3 long enough to detect rattles, but I wasn't talking about tesla specifically, just an in general thing. That's good that tesla will fix them. My Last truck developed a whistle in the window from weather stripping but dealerships refused to fix it. They would write "could not replicate" it would only occur when temps were below 50F at freeway speeds. 13 years later I sold the car and it still had that problem. Annoyed the piss out of me on long cold drives.

every time I have taken a car in for rattles dealerships told me yep, all cars rattle at some frequencies and denied fixing them.

I have not noticed any rattles whatsoever with my model 3.

I was once at a Lexus dealership and a customer was yelling at sales/service saying "how could a brand new car make such horrible clunking noises?!"
Then one of the service techs walked in and said "I found this Perrier bottle rolling back and forth under the driver's seat rails..."
Customer looks embarrassed and just walked away.

• Funny
Reactions: Roentgen and xilex
I got my Model 3 a month ago. Love the car, truly, but there are two rattles that are really irritating me. I found one, but the other was in the rear and totally elusive. Long story short, I found an app that helped me find it instantly. Using this app, it causes any rattle spots to continuously rattle so you can climb back there and isolate them while the car is stopped. It can even be done right at the service center. Even better, right when you pick up the car for the first time.
R

Do you park the car with app or drive to listen to rattles?

Did you try a variety of frequencies? Sweet spots will be between 50 and 150Hz. Also, make sure the volume is adequately loud. Don’t blow your eardrums or anything, but it should be loud enough to vibrate your mirrors.

Anthony. Sounds great except I have no idea how to get the app to play through the Tesla speakers. Can you send me SPECIFIC details on the procedure. I have an iPhone 11 Pro.

That's a great "why didn't I think of that" idea. I have a couple of rattles as well, and the one from the rear seat area is a pain to locate.

If you don't want to bother with an app, you can just use this online generator in a browser on your mobile device:

Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency
Thud. Can you tell me the specific steps to connect the app to the Tesla speakers? What frequencies did you use? Thanks a Bunch! Ron