TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trick to keep your HVAC system fan speed at 11 even in range mode

Discussion in 'Video' started by islandbayy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

#1 islandbayy, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    This trick/software bug will allow you to keep your fan set to 11 (despite the car saying it's #8) while having the heating and cooling system in Range Mode.

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Thanks, I had no idea the fan speed went to 11!
    Guess I'm a range-mode addict.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Nice trick, thanks!

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Great tip! I wish Tesla would not limit the fan speed in Range Mode as it can't make that much of a difference in energy consumption anyway.

Speaking of Range Mode, why do they even call it that when the dash HVAC display calls it Eco (or Econ) mode? Let's call it one or the other, and I vote for Econ since Range Mode sounds like something else entirely.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1. I never thought this made any sense. Fans do take some power, but nowhere near significant compared to the heater. They could simply limit the auto setting to 8, but let you manually dial it to 11.

Yeah, especially since there was an utterly different Range Mode on the Roadster. (Though most people have never driven one, I guess.) Eco Mode would be clearer, I think.

6. patp

patp Member

Totally agree. It should be called Eco and easily accessible from the main screen without going in deep settings.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1 on the deep settings thing. That's annoying. Especially since I turn it off during charging - I've heard reports that it limits pack heater power too, which I certainly wouldn't want while the car is plugged in!

8. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Good tip. I stumbled on this over the Summer inFL, but did not know how to recreate it...

9. Seven7

Seven7 Member

Thanks for the useful tip!

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

No problem. I'm keeping em coming. I have over 80 Tesla/ Model S videos on my channel now and more to come! I always appreciate thumbs up ratings on the videos, helps the search rankings.

Cheers!

11. muleferg

muleferg Member

Thumbs Up. Good tip

12. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Grazie!
    This trick really is nice with the AC. Range Mode AC has kept me freezing even when we had 100+ Degree days. Takes SLIGHTLY longer to get it cold in the car, as in, maybe a few minutes difference. Plus, you can always start it off with range mode off, then flip range mode on once it's at desired temps. Energy reduction I have found to be SIGNIFICANT! And coupled with FogPro on the windows, recirculating interior air to allow use of #11 on range mode in the winter without windows fogging cut my winter power usage by an additional 25%, even more when I can run the heat without the pack warmer kicking in.