Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a new 75D and a Liftmaster Professional gate with a red learning button that was manufactured in 2006. I have tried to program homelink and have had no luck. The Tesla headlights flash with the remote but the garage will not open no matter what I do. I've tried fresh batteries in the remote (a 3 button) and changing the programming settings on the car from "standard" to "rolling code default" to "chamberlain" with no luck. The car connects to my wifi in my garage and driveway with decent signal, so I don't think that's the issue.

I do have another gate (same make) for the other side of the garage, I have not tried programming it yet.

Any ideas? Do I possibly need a bridge?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have a new 75D and a Liftmaster Professional gate with a red learning button that was manufactured in 2006. I have tried to program homelink and have had no luck. The Tesla headlights flash with the remote but the garage will not open no matter what I do. I've tried fresh batteries in the remote (a 3 button) and changing the programming settings on the car from "standard" to "rolling code default" to "chamberlain" with no luck. The car connects to my wifi in my garage and driveway with decent signal, so I don't think that's the issue.

I do have another gate (same make) for the other side of the garage, I have not tried programming it yet.

Any ideas? Do I possibly need a bridge?

Thanks.

I had similar troubles as you and it was very frustrating. The tech support from Tesla and Homelink was completely useless.
I played with Homelink for a couple of months and couldn't get it to work. On my next-to-last attempt something got totally screwed up and the Homelink button on my wife's Odyssey stopped working along with all of our existing remote controls. You can imagine how that went over with the wife.
Ultimately I erased all settings from the opener and reprogrammed each of the remotes as per the original set up instructions. I then reprogrammed the Homelink button on the Odyssey. Once those were all stable I decided to try the Tesla once more. Lo and Behold - it started working!
I have no idea why this worked but it did and the Homelink has been very stable ever since, including the geolocation opening/closing.

So my suggestion to you is to try starting over totally - just like reinstalling a fresh Windows image on a PC that's totally locked up. Good luck!

Hi all,

Recently hit this same issue with new Garage Door Opener (Chamberlain Liftmaster 8155W with Security +2.0) and trying to pair it with my 2015 Model S. Was ready to give up on it altogether, but finally got a working combination:

From a similar post on the Model X board here, our vehicles aren't able to support the added encryption with Security+ 2.0, and requires a Homelink Repeater Kit (Liftmaster 855LM OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge).

The steps provided within the packaging are completely horrible. With the help of Homelink support, we found a good procedure that worked:

1. Ensure the Compatibility bridge is unplugged.
  2. Inside the Tesla, ensure the Homelink Transmitter setting is set to Standard. NOTE: If it's set to the other transmission mode, changing the transmission mode will delete all Homelink settings within your Tesla.
  3. Begin the Homelink setup within the Tesa. Follow the wizard on the Tesla's UI. When it gets to the part where it will try to detect the transmitter, tap on Start, then use the Compatibility bridge transmitter on the front of the Tesla. The Tesla should then pickup the transmission then blink the headlights accordingly.
  4. Go back into the Tesla, and it should say that it picked up the signal and prepare to program the garage door. Before continuing, plug back in the Compatibility bridge.
  5. Once the Compatibility bridge is plugged in, then go to the garage door unit and press the learn button (in my case was the yellow button on the actual garage door, which I pushed learn once).
  6. Within 30 seconds go back to the Tesla and click on continue to program. After about 10- 15 seconds, the garage door light blinked and the Tesla reported programming was complete. The test was successful from the Tesla programming wizard, so I saved the settings.
NOTE: Confirmed with Homelink Support, the transmitter than came with the Compatibility bridge cannot be used by itself, as it (by itself) will NOT open the garage door, even after programmed. It's simply used as a programming mechanism for Homelink vehicles and will never be able to open the garage door. So even after going through the above 6 steps, my Tesla can now open the garage door, but the transmitter (that came with the Compatibility bridge) does not. According to Homelink Support this is by design, and the Compatibility bridge transmitter should still be kept in a safe place as it's required for programming other Homelink cars.

Other things that have worked in the past, if you have an LED light bulb in your garage opener remove it and replace it with an approved LED bulb or an good old incandescent, there are specifics on Liftmaster and Genie's sites about this. You can put your old LED bulb back after its been programmed but that initial paring signal is pretty weak I think.

Homelink not programming with Chamberlain Formula One Garage Door Opener

Reactions: TonyT
I don't think the bridge is needed. I just installed a chamberlain +2.0 and 2013 S85 took the remote and opener learned without a hitch. What software version is your car on?

Hi all,

Recently hit this same issue with new Garage Door Opener (Chamberlain Liftmaster 8155W with Security +2.0) and trying to pair it with my 2015 Model S. Was ready to give up on it altogether, but finally got a working combination:

From a similar post on the Model X board here, our vehicles aren't able to support the added encryption with Security+ 2.0, and requires a Homelink Repeater Kit (Liftmaster 855LM OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge).

I also have my car programmed to a Chamberlain Security+ 2.0 GDO with no extra hardware. The programming button in the GDO is yellow. My other GDO is an earlier model GDO with a purple programming button. The car operates both doors.

Yellow - 390 MHz
Purple - 315 MHz

Reactions: Russell
I have a 2015 Model S85D with 75,000 miles which just went through a factory reset after replacent of the instrument harness. All info including homelink connections was gone. As I tried to rebuild the connections, I ran into a problem where if I put three openers into the system, it would either deactivate one, or retain the contact only with the third for a couple of minutes, then revert to reading "nonprogrammed." Any ideas?

Actually only one GDO is involved. The other two signals are for gates on our community. For some reason or another, the fob for the gates will open all 3 gates, but when I pair up, only two gates open, hence I set up a third homelink and used the same fob to program it, and that is when the trouble began. The first time it deactivated one of the gate buttons, and the second time it reserved both gates and serially deactivated the garage button.

Other things that have worked in the past, if you have an LED light bulb in your garage opener remove it and replace it with an approved LED bulb or an good old incandescent, there are specifics on Liftmaster and Genie's sites about this. You can put your old LED bulb back after its been programmed but that initial paring signal is pretty weak I think.

Homelink not programming with Chamberlain Formula One Garage Door Opener
Interesting. This seemed to solve my problem programming both my Tesla and Lexus. Both were intermittent once I got them to actually program. I took out both LED bulbs then they seemed to program simply and seem to be working great. I replaced both bulbs with new ones. Fascinating and thanks so much for your discovery. I just moved into a new house and couldn't get the openers in either car to work consistently. It's been very frustrating. Time will tell, but looking good.