Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trickle charge at caravan site?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone think there’s any risk using the trickle charger at a caravan site? I know some of these sites can have dodgy electrics, etc (or am I making sweeping assumptions?)

I would think it's very variable. If they have 16amp commando hookups it doesn't necessarily mean that you can draw that full 16 amps all night without causing problems! If it were me I would make sure to talk to the owner and to offer to pay the going rate for kWh used... also noting that you have the ability to lower the current drawn by altering it on the car charging screen UI. (For those with more recent cars the 16amp commando adapter used to be supplied with the UMC mobile charger ... you can buy one from Tesla if you don't have one.)

Caravan club and Camping and Caravan club now have a policy about it. It’s allowed basically. Of course, forward thinking caravan site owners would start to put dedicated chargers in.

Not sure you could plug the 3pin charger into an internal/external 3 pin caravan socket with any success though ..

Yeh 3 pin might work. Will take forever of course. Probs wouldn’t use anything in the caravan at the same time. Apart from charge a phone.

side note, the new Ioniq 5 has an adapter than let’s you connect the car to something external, with mega power. So in theory you could power an entire caravan from the car. Great idea of you want to go off grid and your car has plenty charge.

I've charged my MS's (P85 until 2019 then P100) over a period of 5 years at a static home site that we regularly frequent (pre covid) and with the help of a decent extension lead have had no problem getting around 6 or 7 mph charge. I haven't experienced any suggestion of overheating either the 3 pin plug or the extension lead

Reactions: Smileysam
Tried to charge a model X 100D at a caravan park in Stanthorpe last week and the car keep saying communication error, however plugged into standard home socket no problem last night? Is there an adapter you need for this to work properly?
You’d probably tripped the breaker or not fully plugged in properly or something like that. Nothing special. The blue 16A commando adaptor can be useful if you have one.

You’d probably tripped the breaker or not fully plugged in properly or something like that. Nothing special. The blue 16A commando adaptor can be useful if you have one.
I actually have a special commando extension lead (16 A) used to connect at caravan sites (I run phone chargers from it). so I would connect my granny to the extension, limit charging to 10 A and let it sip slowly but steady :))

I must be going to the wrong campsites. So far, only one has agreed to let me charge through the granny charger, having offered them some ££ to cover the cost. Most places simply refuse saying they don’t have EV charging facilities.

Are others just plugging in without saying anything? Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

I must be going to the wrong campsites. So far, only one has agreed to let me charge through the granny charger, having offered them some ££ to cover the cost. Most places simply refuse saying they don’t have EV charging facilities.

Are others just plugging in without saying anything? Better to ask for forgiveness than permission?
yes...
in general, they are set for caravans to be plugged in and have all sorts of equipment on: showers (still struggle to understand why someone would wash themselves standing in the toilet.. :D), kettles, tvs and other bs.
and yes, better to ask forgiveness than permission in this case, as if If it's not prohibited explicitly - then allowed. :)