Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trickle Charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for the battery experts on the forum that I don't ever recall being discussed. Last week we were on Hilton Head as the hurricane was approaching. The resort where we were staying had a 110 outlet available which we were able to use, and we had gradually charged to 90% during our stay. An evacuation order for the island was issued during the evening, and we had to depart by noon the next day. I considered allowing the battery to trickle charge overnight to (or close to) 100% at around 4 MPH just in case but decided against it. Since the battery would be over 90% for 12-15 hours, would this do any damage to the battery? I charge to 100% occasionally just before departing on a long trip, but it has never been on a 110 outlet.

I have a question for the battery experts on the forum that I don't ever recall being discussed. Last week we were on Hilton Head as the hurricane was approaching. The resort where we were staying had a 110 outlet available which we were able to use, and we had gradually charged to 90% during our stay. An evacuation order for the island was issued during the evening, and we had to depart by noon the next day. I considered allowing the battery to trickle charge overnight to (or close to) 100% at around 4 MPH just in case but decided against it. Since the battery would be over 90% for 12-15 hours, would this do any damage to the battery? I charge to 100% occasionally just before departing on a long trip, but it has never been on a 110 outlet.

not a problem. If anything, trickle charging off a 110 is safer than faster charging. And sitting at 100 for a fwe hours, or even a day or two isn't likely material, especially if not really hot outside.

Worse for the battery would be running it down to zero so better to reduce those chances by charging to 100 when it may be helpful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer
Only a Tesla owner would spend even a second of thought seriously weighing the cost/benefit of “damage to battery” vs. “fleeing hurricane”.

Jesus Christ people.

We were heading west away from the hurricane and had plenty of battery at 90%. Give it a rest--I was just giving background why the question even came to mind. If you don't have anything to add, don't post.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
We were heading west away from the hurricane and had plenty of battery at 90%. Give it a rest--I was just giving background why the question even came to mind. If you don't have anything to add, don't post.

Something to add:

The “charging to 100% damages the battery” folklore is massively overblown.

If you need the charge, or ever even think you might, charge the car to 100%.

Reactions: bhzmark
Before Charlottesville, VA had a supercharger I charged from 20% to 90% over a couple of days at 120 volts. Then the night before I was going to leave I set the car to start charging at 1 AM to 100%. I had to make it to the Delaware supercharger and it was cold in December.

Something to add:

The “charging to 100% damages the battery” folklore is massively overblown.

If you need the charge, or ever even think you might, charge the car to 100%.
I seem to think this is true. I leased a fiat 500e before my tesla. Charged it every day to 100% for 3 years. The batteries never went down in mileage. Was a surprisingly reliable car.

Of course I do follow the 90% rule on my Tesla since I did buy this car.

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
  • not a problem. If anything, trickle charging off a 110 is safer than faster charging. And sitting at 100 for a fwe hours, or even a day or two isn't likely material, especially if not really hot outside.

I disagree about trickle charging being better, normal AC charging is not that fast once broken down per cell. Really do not believe a 14-50 is worse than the time spent at high state of charge trying to hit 100% on 120volt.

When necessary I wouldn't hesitate to use either though, if 100% was all that bad we wouldn't have access to it.

I trickle my S75D from 90% to 100% on a L2 charger (10mi/hr) when I make the trek from Rochester to Buffalo and back. That's about 150 miles. I try to pull it off the L2 just as it finishes or maybe even before.
Doing that about 2/month for almost two years. Noticed no degradation at all. Not even a mile.
Hope this helps.