Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tricky Situation: To X or NOT to X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Okay, quick background: I placed a reservation back in February 2015 and received my configuration notice the beginning of last month. After some slight financial cutbacks, I made the decision to just cancel my X res after I've had the chance to test drive one... However, I've recently begun entertaining the possibility of leasing a 70D. I currently own a Model S (2013, so before all the recent goodies) and have really missed out on the whole Autopilot trend. What're your thoughts, is it worth it to squeeze into an X if it's only a 70D (3 years for ~40k)? Seems light it might be more fiscally reasonable to purchase the base mode with a loan?

Also, I'd get the autopilot and auto door upgrades, of course, but I'd skip out on battery/rim/trim/performance/air suspension/sound (all options I went with for my S)... Is the X even worth it at that point?

Okay, quick background: I placed a reservation back in February 2015 and received my configuration notice the beginning of last month. After some slight financial cutbacks, I made the decision to just cancel my X res after I've had the chance to test drive one... However, I've recently begun entertaining the possibility of leasing a 70D. I currently own a Model S (2013, so before all the recent goodies) and have really missed out on the whole Autopilot trend. What're your thoughts, is it worth it to squeeze into an X if it's only a 70D (3 years for ~40k)? Seems light it might be more fiscally reasonable to purchase the base mode with a loan?

Also, I'd get the autopilot and auto door upgrades, of course, but I'd skip out on battery/rim/trim/performance/air suspension/sound (all options I went with for my S)... Is the X even worth it at that point?
Again a very individual decision, for me there are several factors that work for me that might not work for most. I have a classic S and missed all the goodies as well so the X will give me them, I did order a 70 because I have a 60 Model S and have had no problems getting around with that battery. I did get everything except the cold weather and 22's. Leasing is something I tend not to do, might finance a portion but do not know at this point. The X will be my wife's car so most of the decisions are hers. I'm also at a point in my life that want to enjoy it while I can, so that is another factor.

Again a very individual decision, for me there are several factors that work for me that might not work for most. I have a classic S and missed all the goodies as well so the X will give me them, I did order a 70 because I have a 60 Model S and have had no problems getting around with that battery. I did get everything except the cold weather and 22's. Leasing is something I tend not to do, might finance a portion but do not know at this point. The X will be my wife's car so most of the decisions are hers. I'm also at a point in my life that want to enjoy it while I can, so that is another factor.

Yeah, the only reason to get the higher capacity IMHO is if you care about performance (and if you do, then you need to go all in with the performance upgrades too). It honestly seems more expensive to lease in the long term considering you could sell a Model X at any point if a new one were to come out/you just didn't like it. Plus, after 3 years, you probably will come out better than if you had gone with a lease. Personally, I would like a larger SUV for hauling things/my dog, but I just can't face ditching my S.

Buying the latest & greatest technology will always cost you dearly. It pains me that I can buy a CPO loaded P90D with what I paid for my 2014 P85+, which was the latest & greatest at the time. So, buying a Model X, especially if you're having financial cutbacks, is probably the last thing you need. Leasing is even worse, because you're paying two charges - to rent the car, and to rent the money.

Even worse, however, is to spend tons of money to get a vehicle you're not even that happy with.
I'd enjoy your beautiful P85, and a year or two down the road, you can get what you REALLY want.

P.S.
There's a CPO 70D on Tesla's site for $68,700, with only 50 miles, and Autopilot.

You haven't made a case for why it would be a good idea to get a MX. The only thing I understand is that you want Autopilot (maybe). If so, Skateboardgolf has a good point - CPO 70D MS. Done.

I want to put a different spin on the battery discussion. I wouldn't get the MX with a 70D, but that's because I plan to road trip in it. We've put 30k miles on my MS in less than 2 years, the vast majority of that being road trip mileage. I plan to migrate most of that over to the MX. Road trips in that vehicle will benefit from added range, especially if you plan to put something on the accessory hitch (or worse, actually put a trailer behind it). In the MS, we have had plenty of occasions where we were tight on range and had to drive slowly to make it between chargers or destinations.

If you're resource constrained with respect to the purchase, you have the burden of making a good case to yourself as to why it's the right decision. Maybe you want to be an all-electric household because you have environmental concerns, or maybe your MS doesn't have the vertical space or rear-seat comfort for your passengers. Whatever it is, be clear about your reasons, then write the price down next to them on the right. If you can draw a greater than or equal sign between them, and feel good about it.. then go for it.

You haven't made a case for why it would be a good idea to get a MX. The only thing I understand is that you want Autopilot (maybe). If so, Skateboardgolf has a good point - CPO 70D MS. Done.

I want to put a different spin on the battery discussion. I wouldn't get the MX with a 70D, but that's because I plan to road trip in it. We've put 30k miles on my MS in less than 2 years, the vast majority of that being road trip mileage. I plan to migrate most of that over to the MX. Road trips in that vehicle will benefit from added range, especially if you plan to put something on the accessory hitch (or worse, actually put a trailer behind it). In the MS, we have had plenty of occasions where we were tight on range and had to drive slowly to make it between chargers or destinations.

If you're resource constrained with respect to the purchase, you have the burden of making a good case to yourself as to why it's the right decision. Maybe you want to be an all-electric household because you have environmental concerns, or maybe your MS doesn't have the vertical space or rear-seat comfort for your passengers. Whatever it is, be clear about your reasons, then write the price down next to them on the right. If you can draw a greater than or equal sign between them, and feel good about it.. then go for it.

All very good points. Everything needs to fit your situation and use case - like ohmman I have put a lot of road trip miles on my S (41,000 and coming up on three years), and want as much range as possible on the X. For others that's less of a concern.

I need the X to carry several or all of our five kids and gear, because we struggle to fit in the S. I don't plan to carry a lot of building materials, so the second row not folding is not an issue for me. And I'm looking forward to Autopilot.