Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tricky Wall Charger Install - Stone Detail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all,
I haven’t seen too many installs on decorative stone. Turned out great! Car will be parked outside so indoor mounting would not be ideal.

- Grinder with diamond wheel was used to carefully cut out the stone.
- PVC trim board was used to bump out the Charger enough to clear the stonework.
- 3/4 liquid-tight conduit into the garage, then 3/4 greenfield to panel.

Enjoy!

Parts Used:
50A breaker
12 feet 6 awg wire (red, black)
12 feet 8 awg wire (green)
10 feet 3/4 greenfield (FMC)
1 foot 3/4 liquid-tight (NMC)
3 feet PVC 1x6 trim board
1 straight FMC 3/4 fitting
1 90° FMC 3/4 fitting
6 3/4 FMC wall clamps
2 straight liquid-tight NMC 3/4 fittings
1 molded lamp box 3/4 threaded knockouts
3/8 x 4” Tapcon screws
1/4 x 2” Tapcon screws
1 Tesla Wall Charger

A0CE68E3-DCBF-4220-A56D-97318EAF4302.jpeg

3E26BD90-AA53-43BE-9266-01EE309CB7C7.jpeg

24C8C6B3-6FAC-44AB-B829-BE783E1B13F1.jpeg

D80F76EC-87EC-4BE7-8F0B-03610EADEC65.jpeg

99CAE11B-42BF-4260-A888-AA4D7F54EFD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D4CFDEA-F200-4408-9319-5D64DF31D1BF.jpeg
    1D4CFDEA-F200-4408-9319-5D64DF31D1BF.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 415
Nice job, but I would be very hesitant to cut into my stone like that on the exterior of my house. If yout want to remove the wall connector for any reason in the future, you'll have a bit of an eye sore unless you can find a creative way to fill that space.
Just put 240v 50a house numbers there. Super bright!

Not a huge deal for a mason to replace the stones later either.

I hope you saved them. I guess a talented mason could find a way to put cut stones back without making them look too weird...

I like the idea about the super bright house number. LOL

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I put a string in the conduit in case I need to add a neutral down the road.

Could install a weatherproof box and 14-50 receptacle out there if I move and take the Tesla wall connector with me.

Or it can become a generator hookup spot

Plenty of options here not worried about it.

Reactions: brkaus
Nice install but you do have a big chunk of wall missing there. Guess it does not matter as whatever you choose in the future will probably sit in the same location and EV's are not about to disappear any time soon.

I installed a secondary unit on a brick wall as an addition to the one already in the garage. Not as elaborate since the brick is somewhat flat. Nothing a little chipping of some high spots could not solve to make it sit flat. Came out pretty nice in the end. Did get to learn about power sharing and setting up to only charge certain Tesla serial numbers. Pretty sophisticated units these wall chargers.

Elected to put it on the hidden side of the fence and purchase a separate cord holder mounted to the front side. Should also mention the electrical panel is on the other side of the charger. Now we can charge inside the garage and and/or outside as we please power sharing if required set at 60A.

I think I used the same concrete bit as you. Already have an SDS plus drill but the maximum drill size is 1". Got a cheap set of cup saw bits on Amazon for $28 which worked wonderfully. SDS Plus Cup Saw Kit Made the hole big enough to be able to shoot expanding insulation around the conduit into the wall and it expanded to seal the gap between the PVC conduit and the brick making a good thermal insulation. I then just pushed the wall connector onto the conduit into the adapter I screwed on to the wall connecter pvc threaded adapter. 1" conduit through the wall and to the panel on a 60A breaker. Also used Tapcons to attach it to the wall, 2 of them.

IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited:
Nice install but you do have a big chunk of wall missing there. Guess it does not matter as whatever you choose in the future will probably sit in the same location and EV's are not about to disappear any time soon.

I installed a secondary unit on a brick wall as an addition to the one already in the garage. Not as elaborate since the brick is somewhat flat. Nothing a little chipping of some high spots could not solve to make it sit flat. Came out pretty nice in the end. Did get to learn about power sharing and setting up to only charge certain Tesla serial numbers. Pretty sophisticated units these wall chargers.

Elected to put it on the hidden side of the fence and purchase a separate cord holder mounted to the front side. Should also mention the electrical panel is on the other side of the charger. Now we can charge inside the garage and and/or outside as we please power sharing if required set at 60A.

I think I used the same concrete bit as you. Already have an SDS plus drill but the maximum drill size is 1". Got a cheap set of cup saw bits on Amazon for $28 which worked wonderfully. SDS Plus Cup Saw Kit Made the hole big enough to be able to shoot expanding insulation around the conduit into the wall and it expanded to seal the gap between the PVC conduit and the brick making a good thermal insulation. I then just pushed the wall connector onto the conduit into the adapter I screwed on to the wall connecter pvc threaded adapter. 1" conduit through the wall and to the panel on a 60A breaker. Also used Tapcons to attach it to the wall, 2 of them.

View attachment 799778View attachment 799779

Wow, this is super clean, very sexy!
Beautiful house as well. I love it!
Drill bit pictured in my post: Bosch HC84506
[Requires a drill with 18mm SDS-Max collet]

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Greetings all,
I haven’t seen too many installs on decorative stone. Turned out great! Car will be parked outside so indoor mounting would not be ideal.

- Grinder with diamond wheel was used to carefully cut out the stone.
- PVC trim board was used to bump out the Charger enough to clear the stonework.
- 3/4 liquid-tight conduit into the garage, then 3/4 greenfield to panel.

Enjoy!

Parts Used:
50A breaker
12 feet 6 awg wire (red, black)
12 feet 8 awg wire (green)
10 feet 3/4 greenfield (FMC)
1 foot 3/4 liquid-tight (NMC)
3 feet PVC 1x6 trim board
1 straight FMC 3/4 fitting
1 90° FMC 3/4 fitting
6 3/4 FMC wall clamps
2 straight liquid-tight NMC 3/4 fittings
1 molded lamp box 3/4 threaded knockouts
3/8 x 4” Tapcon screws
1/4 x 2” Tapcon screws
1 Tesla Wall Charger

View attachment 794687
View attachment 794688
View attachment 794683
View attachment 794685
View attachment 794686
Love the outside install, I was thinking of a smilier install where wife is scared to go into the regular 8x8 garage door. can you PM me your installer information, I've called 2 installers nd they recommend or only do inside installs. thanks in Advance.

Option "B"
Still use the great PVC board material and use variable-length / custom cut "stand-off" spacers to plumb up the alignment of the PVC board. Think small diameter nylon tubing or PVC conduit. Anything to be able to pass a bolt thru it and be able to tighten up on it to pull the board up against the spacer and still have the board plumb while attached to an irregular surface.