Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried a FSD subscription. It's not worth it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and tried the FSD one-month subscription option for a 1700 mile road trip this past weekend in my 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus. My opinion: not worth it.

Full Self Driving is just a terrible name for what is essentially Autopilot+. I'd imagine your commute would need to involve nothing but freeway driving to get much benefit from a $200 a month subscription, and definitely not $12000.

Summon is one of those features that's neat to play with, and might come in handy once in a blue moon. I'd pay $5 to sneak the car out of a tight spot once in a while, but not a recurring subscription.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lanes, which begs the question of why Tesla requires you to turn the autopilot off and back on just to change lanes. The cruise control worked the same as before, and honestly, I can handle lane changes on my own.

Stoplight and stop sign handling was terrible. It ID'd stop signs that weren't there, stopped the car in the middle of a highway, and tries to stop for most green lights unless you remember to tell it not to. It stopped for no reason multiple times during the trip. This in turn caused more safety hazards than if I just disabled it to begin with.

Autopilot is generally a great tool. You can turn it on, pay attention, and not really worry too much about your car doing things you'd rather it not do. FSD adds a whole new level of anxiety and complexity that is in no way a finished product. I can't imagine the FSD Beta being any better. I could understand it if it weren't so expensive, but at $12000/$200 per month, it is wildly overpriced. I've already canceled the subscription, and I doubt I'll be missing anything when it ends except the ability to impress friends by letting the car mope around a parking lot by itself.
1600px-Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

("Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X.jpg" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. What a mess.
And to think we are still where we are, FSD wise...when we were told by the CEO that it would have Level 5 capabilities ("NYC to LA with no intervention") not just by now...BUT by THREE YEARS AGO. A "robotaxi service where you car will drive itself to make you $100k per year", TWO years ago..

And yet...here we are..

And certain bois on here wonder why there is an investigation into deceptive marketing going on.

Last edited:
I know there will probably be some push back from stans that will say "work in progress", but writing beta next to everything doesn't negate the fact that people are paying boat loads of money to be guinea pigs. Forgive what might be a slightly dramatic approach, but beta testing this software is literally putting your life, and your passengers life, at risk. If you aren't prepared to take over the car will do what it's commanded to do by the computer and will kill you in the process. That's not a responsibility I think most of the public should be allowed to take with no training, yet Tesla markets to any driver with a license what should be the full time job of a team of engineers.

i couldn’t imagine not having FSD. I pay for subscription and drive 150-200 miles a day in the Bay Area. I don’t have to change lanes on my own. It changes freeways and takes freeway exits for me. I use AP for stop lights and stop signs all day. I drive manually <5% of my drive every day. To each their own. If you don’t deal with multiple freeways/highways, I could see it not being worth it, but I’d never own a Tesla without it.

i couldn’t imagine not having FSD. I pay for subscription and drive 150-200 miles a day in the Bay Area. I don’t have to change lanes on my own. It changes freeways and takes freeway exits for me. I use AP for stop lights and stop signs all day. I drive manually <5% of my drive every day. To each their own. If you don’t deal with multiple freeways/highways, I could see it not being worth it, but I’d never own a Tesla without it.
This sounds like the best-case scenario for FSD in its current form. I feel like AP and FSD have been programmed specifically with that area of the country in mind. The other 95% of the country is where it falls short.

A quick question. You said it stopped at green lights. I've been on the Beta for a long time, but I thought they got rid of the green light confirmation a while ago. Is that not the case? I think if I didn't buy the car with FSD I wouldn't bother buying it for 12K, but in all honesty I can't imagine not having it especially when you have had the beta, it's just fun and awesome to be along for the "ride"

A quick question. You said it stopped at green lights. I've been on the Beta for a long time, but I thought they got rid of the green light confirmation a while ago. Is that not the case? I think if I didn't buy the car with FSD I wouldn't bother buying it for 12K, but in all honesty I can't imagine not having it especially when you have had the beta, it's just fun and awesome to be along for the "ride"
Maybe it's because I don't have beta that it doesn't seem that great for me? I don't know as I won't be keeping it long enough to get into the FSD Beta. Yea on my trip I had to confirm the green lights. I understand that having your hands on the wheel is necessary, and I'm not trying to "trick" the system by weighting the steering wheel, but that is a big part of my dislike of FSD. It's not Full Self Driving if I still have to make inputs to the steering wheel to let the system know I'm there. I can understand having my hand on the wheel, but why must I constantly make inputs that at any other point would move my car into an unsafe situation just to let the computer know I'm there?

Reactions: COS Blue and Iain
Maybe it's because I don't have beta that it doesn't seem that great for me? I don't know as I won't be keeping it long enough to get into the FSD Beta. Yea on my trip I had to confirm the green lights. I understand that having your hands on the wheel is necessary, and I'm not trying to "trick" the system by weighting the steering wheel, but that is a big part of my dislike of FSD. It's not Full Self Driving if I still have to make inputs to the steering wheel to let the system know I'm there. I can understand having my hand on the wheel, but why must I constantly make inputs that at any other point would move my car into an unsafe situation just to let the computer know I'm there?
I wish they had named it something else. Maybe F(future)FSD.

I really like driving the car myself. First time since I was a teenager that I come up with reasons just to joy ride.

I can't imagine paying a bunch of money to be anxious while the software tries to drive.
I wasn't anxious before I paid the money. It took several phantom braking moments on highways, in daylight, when I'm driving 60+ MPH in traffic, inability to tell if my car is actually going to handle an exit or change lanes until the last moment, and straight-up slamming on the brakes at night for a stop sign that didn't exist that made me anxious. All this in the course of a weekend.

Can you specify the differences that make the Beta more useful for you?
It does all the things you complained about correctly. Every turn and stop light. Yes with basic FSD it will slam on the brakes at a light green or red if you Ignore the request for confirmation. Not Saying you, but it seems many don’t like to research what the capabilities are before hitting the buy button. PB has pretty much disappeared for me. Drive several hundred miles per week and would Not enjoy it as much without the technology.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lane

I think you mean auto-lane change did this.

User initiated Auto-lane change is such a nice feature, and is often cited as the best features of FSD. It is pretty frustrating that they don't allow that to be purchased separately. I imagine people would pay $1K to $2K for that.

I've never had NoA work well for me. It always tries to make dumb decision, buts once you turn off unconfirmed lane changes there isn't much point to it.

I don't expect Tesla will see much subscription stay rates until FSD Beta is released.

Reactions: Ramphex and JBT66
AP plus lane change would be amazing.

I recently picked up an X with FSD beta. There are two spots that it has real problems with.
One is coming off the interstate where if turning right you actually get your own lane to pull onto the st route, where you are NOT supposed to stop, just merge and go. It hard breaks here as it thinks it should stop. The other is a left turn where there are two lanes to turn off. The far left ends up being for pulling a U turn it into a gas station and the other is a left turn the go on a perpendicular street. It will start breaking where the other lane has the U turn.