Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried a FSD subscription. It's not worth it...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bit the bullet and tried the FSD one-month subscription option for a 1700 mile road trip this past weekend in my 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus. My opinion: not worth it.

Full Self Driving is just a terrible name for what is essentially Autopilot+. I'd imagine your commute would need to involve nothing but freeway driving to get much benefit from a $200 a month subscription, and definitely not $12000.

Summon is one of those features that's neat to play with, and might come in handy once in a blue moon. I'd pay $5 to sneak the car out of a tight spot once in a while, but not a recurring subscription.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lanes, which begs the question of why Tesla requires you to turn the autopilot off and back on just to change lanes. The cruise control worked the same as before, and honestly, I can handle lane changes on my own.

Stoplight and stop sign handling was terrible. It ID'd stop signs that weren't there, stopped the car in the middle of a highway, and tries to stop for most green lights unless you remember to tell it not to. It stopped for no reason multiple times during the trip. This in turn caused more safety hazards than if I just disabled it to begin with.

Autopilot is generally a great tool. You can turn it on, pay attention, and not really worry too much about your car doing things you'd rather it not do. FSD adds a whole new level of anxiety and complexity that is in no way a finished product. I can't imagine the FSD Beta being any better. I could understand it if it weren't so expensive, but at $12000/$200 per month, it is wildly overpriced. I've already canceled the subscription, and I doubt I'll be missing anything when it ends except the ability to impress friends by letting the car mope around a parking lot by itself.
1600px-Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

("Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X.jpg" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
AP plus lane change would be amazing.

I recently picked up an X with FSD beta. There are two spots that it has real problems with.
One is coming off the interstate where if turning right you actually get your own lane to pull onto the st route, where you are NOT supposed to stop, just merge and go. It hard breaks here as it thinks it should stop. The other is a left turn where there are two lanes to turn off. The far left ends up being for pulling a U turn it into a gas station and the other is a left turn the go on a perpendicular street. It will start breaking where the other lane has the U turn.

I think (AP+lane change+city with no turns) will be another good set of features.

My thoughts are they probably should have kept it in the gadget entertainment price instead of charging a robotaxi price while in beta. You would have a lot more testers out there if it was just a fun thing to play with and reasonably priced. I'm still a little freaked out about my car making turns so the Autopilot is fine with me. I like to make my turns myself and then reengage. Also RoboTaxi no thankyou. I don't need people coming home from the bar and making babies in my car while it drives them home. I'll buy a dedicated car and a full time cleaning service if I'm out to make money from a taxi.

I do wish that they would add auto park to autopilot it's a standard on most cars that have advanced cruise control. There shouldn't be an extra fee.

I bit the bullet and tried the FSD one-month subscription option for a 1700 mile road trip this past weekend in my 2020 Model 3 Standard Plus. My opinion: not worth it.

Full Self Driving is just a terrible name for what is essentially Autopilot+. I'd imagine your commute would need to involve nothing but freeway driving to get much benefit from a $200 a month subscription, and definitely not $12000.

Summon is one of those features that's neat to play with, and might come in handy once in a blue moon. I'd pay $5 to sneak the car out of a tight spot once in a while, but not a recurring subscription.

Navigate on autopilot did relieve the necessity to keep turning autopilot off and back on every time I wanted to change lanes, which begs the question of why Tesla requires you to turn the autopilot off and back on just to change lanes. The cruise control worked the same as before, and honestly, I can handle lane changes on my own.

Stoplight and stop sign handling was terrible. It ID'd stop signs that weren't there, stopped the car in the middle of a highway, and tries to stop for most green lights unless you remember to tell it not to. It stopped for no reason multiple times during the trip. This in turn caused more safety hazards than if I just disabled it to begin with.

Autopilot is generally a great tool. You can turn it on, pay attention, and not really worry too much about your car doing things you'd rather it not do. FSD adds a whole new level of anxiety and complexity that is in no way a finished product. I can't imagine the FSD Beta being any better. I could understand it if it weren't so expensive, but at $12000/$200 per month, it is wildly overpriced. I've already canceled the subscription, and I doubt I'll be missing anything when it ends except the ability to impress friends by letting the car mope around a parking lot by itself.
View attachment 796011
("Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X.jpg" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY 4.0.)
I tried out FSD for a month last year soon after I picked up my SR+....honestly, outside of lane change on AP (which....meh, whatever) the only feature I actually miss is the chimes when a signal turns green. Like 100% serious.
100% not worth $199/month, and 1,000,000,000% not worth $12k to buy.

I think you mean auto-lane change did this.

User initiated Auto-lane change is such a nice feature, and is often cited as the best features of FSD. It is pretty frustrating that they don't allow that to be purchased separately. I imagine people would pay $1K to $2K for that.

I've never had NoA work well for me. It always tries to make dumb decision, buts once you turn off unconfirmed lane changes there isn't much point to it.

I don't expect Tesla will see much subscription stay rates until FSD Beta is released.
If they allowed it to be purchased separately, that would heavily cut into people dumping $12k on FSD.

The gimmicky names get me. Autopilot has been an established term for many years in aero industry, and it doesn’t make the aircraft just fly in a straight line. Why call a feature with a name that’s used for another way more evolved feature in another industry?

I have up and down moments with Tesla. I love the car, but hate the customer service. I still have delivery problems that haven’t been resolved since the pick up last July. There’s always some excuse or an issue that they need to reschedule or schedule another appointment.

Now I’m also getting a bit annoyed with the solar side. And before the flame, yea I know customer service sucks, but how is it okay that I placed 3 orders 9 days ago, paid the deposits, did the home assessments on my side, and there’s still no design, no advisor assigned, no one reached out, radio silence.

Last edited:
I can agree with you about feelings but that's very subjective. I think for $199 you got to see if you liked or disliked the system without forking out 12K.
But it shouldn’t be that way. That’s why there’s a return policy on literally….. almost everything, just not the FSD. They know that once people pay the price after watching a bunch of shill videos on YouTube, after they actually used/tried the features and saw how they really work, probably 50-75% would want their money back.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The issue is they are selling fsd for the value it may give in the future. They have always done this, we are just noticing now it's a total scam.

The features out today if you purchase "fsd" are the same ones that came with the 5k enhanced autopilot from 5 years ago. Nothing new has been introduced all they have done is changed the name to "full self driving."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
The issue is they are selling fsd for the value it may give in the future. They have always done this, we are just noticing now it's a total scam.

The features out today if you purchase "fsd" are the same ones that came with the 5k enhanced autopilot from 5 years ago. Nothing new has been introduced.
I agree, unless you get the beta. I couldn't go back to plain old FSD but that's why I paid for it. I love being involved in the progress, that's me and I imagine a lot of people who are in the program feel the same way. I also understand people saying it's not for them. That's the great thing, no-one is forcing anyone to spend a cent on it. For $199 I don't think you need to do that much research, but if you are going to drop 12K you better understand exactly what you are getting.

I agree, unless you get the beta. I couldn't go back to plain old FSD but that's why I paid for it. I love being involved in the progress, that's me and I imagine a lot of people who are in the program feel the same way. I also understand people saying it's not for them. That's the great thing, no-one is forcing anyone to spend a cent on it. For $199 I don't think you need to do that much research, but if you are going to drop 12K you better understand exactly what you are getting.
Agreed. I complain about it mostly as the devil’s advocate. I do enjoy beta testing despite it currently being sucky with very slow in between releases (1 month+). I feel for the people who have enrolled and have played the safety score game for months though. A lot of them got bamboozled by Elon’s “everyone with safety score of X will get it by Y”

How Tesla "markets" or "advertizes" FSD subscription has nothing to do with it. When you make the order, you are supposed to read what you are subscribing to and Tesla's language is clear enough.

The obligations by both parties arise from the contract, not from the marketing. Also it's common knowledge that marketing/advertizing is always to be taken with a grain of salt.

So please don't bring the "Tesla promised such and such"-story, it isn't true at all.
Think again:

"If you paid for a product or service that was falsely or improperly advertised, you can hold the offending company accountable through a misleading advertising lawsuit. If you successfully prove your claims, you could receive financial compensation."

Now while a lawsuit may not be warranted for a $199 claim? Providing a credit card company with evidence needed to obtain a refund is surely realistic. And trust me...there have been situations with members of this forum? Who have (quietly) gotten their $199 back after the credit card companies have reviewed the evidence provided (including specific times/places/scenarious where FSD has failed to perform as stated/advertised) and decided that yes, the customer was correct/in the right.

Some people are content with rolling over and letting big companies get away with deception. Other people? Successfully fight back. Simple as that

Has anyone really received a refund?
Yes.

Yes.

unfortunately he is not in the US and where he live they have strict laws against over promising and not delivering.

I understand that it is work in progress, but if you feel something and advertise it like this then the expectation that there has to be something delivered soon.

Reactions: Ramphex
speaking of..when are all of these Boring tunnels supposed to be fully up and running and shuttling cars at high speed underground? Can we get an update on that promise as well?

Here is the right thread to talk about Boring.

I agree with the original poster. I am in the San Diego area and have only AP. My friend has FSD in his Model Y. The difference between the two are not worth $12,000.

1. FSD only really works on highways. We have a lot of big streets here, stop lights, turns, etc.. which FSD doesn't do.

2. Once on the highway, AP achieves 90% of what FSD provides. The lane-change feature on AP would make it the near perfect solution.

3. While AP doesn't stop for red lights (and doesn't do green light confirmation), the AP still has the same phantom braking issue. I've somewhat solved the root cause as being a road that turns which causes cars in the next lane to appear physically towards the front of the Tesla, and it seems the system ignores the lanes and just says "object directly ahead!" and brakes. But then there are also other times where I can't seem to explain why it stops.

4. The pricing is entirely wrong here. AP+ (lane change) as included is appropriate and should never be upcharged. Then the "Robotaxi" mode could be an add-on, but at a much lower price point.

When I bought my car, I did not want to pay $12,000 to participate in a Beta program. I'd rather buy a full-fledged feature when it's ready, especially when it costs as much as a used Miata :) My prediction is that all of this technology will become standard and we'll be there eventually. So I'm not going to pay extra for it now.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Ramphex