Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried AutoPilot for the first time ............

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MS 75D, delivered 12/28/17, AP2

Observations:
  • 3 lane highway, white road strips were in good condition, driving in middle lane, speed 55 MPH, dry road (no rain, snow or ice)
  • Car favored the left markers (strips) as opposed to staying somewhat in the middle of the lane. A little too close for my preference.
  • Going through a normal curve there were may corrections and was not smooth in anyway.
Perhaps the computers need to learn, adjust with usage,mileage and various road conditions.
I'll try again soon but for now I was not comfortable with the experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Tysto
MS 75D, delivered 12/28/17, AP2

Observations:
  • 3 lane highway, white road strips were in good condition, driving in middle lane, speed 55 MPH, dry road (no rain, snow or ice)
  • Car favored the left markers (strips) as opposed to staying somewhat in the middle of the lane. A little too close for my preference.
  • Going through a normal curve there were may corrections and was not smooth in anyway.
Perhaps the computers need to learn, adjust with usage,mileage and various road conditions.
I'll try again soon but for now I was not comfortable with the experience.

Sounds like pretty normal performance of the system. It is no where near perfect yet.

I've been using it on my daily commute home on a rural (not divided) highway. I find it "hunts" unnervingly in the lane, is uncomfortably aggressive about reducing speed in lower speed limit zones, and doesn't go to the apex of an inside curve but rather tries to stay in the center of the lane or even drift to the outside of it. It also has trouble with one particular dip in the road that causes it to lurch toward the center line for a moment. And it oddly lights up the proximity display when it drifts toward oncoming traffic, like a child announcing "I GOT KIND OF CLOSE TO THAT TRUCK, DIDN'T I??" All kind of entertaining for me, but it would be terrifying for a passenger, I imagine.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna