TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tried connecting Apple external USB SuperDrive to USB port - no luck

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mg012, Jun 8, 2014.

1. mg012

mg012 Member

I was lamenting about the Model S not having a cd drive, so after reading about some USB mice working through the USB port, I thought it was a brilliant idea to try Apple's external USB SuperDrive which is powered through its USB connection. Alas, It does not even allow the cd to load, let alone play one. There is no appearance of the drive on the Media player Devices screen like when you insert a thumb drive into the USB slot.
    Are there any computer experts out there that have some ideas about this? Does the OS have to recognize the device and tell it to power up?
    Of course, I was also dreaming of DVDs playing on the center screen too. Rats!
    michael

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

CD and DVD drives need driver software present that is specifically designed to support the drive. Tesla has not written such software and I'm sure has no future plans to support it.

3. mg012

mg012 Member

@ercarfan: Since Linux is running on the car I was hoping there was a generic cd drive driver out there. Seems like there would be a use for Tesla to be able to connect a cd/dvd drive for backup download purposes (network down). I guess what you are saying is that they could have a driver in the system but not one that would work for the apple drive. Is there a way to snoop and find out if there is a cd/dvd driver in the OS?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The drivers exist, they are just not installed. As there is a very limited amount of storage (I assume) every driver you install means there is something else (like additional map data) that you don't install.

5. ecarfan

Sorry, I incorrectly implied that the drive software did not exist. I meant that from Tesla's point of view there is no support for external drives and they do not allow customers to access the OS at this time, so it's not currently possible to connect a drive to the USB port and have it function in a way that we can access, there's no UI for it.

I believe that Elon has stated that in the future Tesla will open up the car's OS to third party apps. At that time it seems likely that there could be an app that would support various types of external drives.

I think Model S apps would be great but I don't think that Tesla should put a high priority on it. I do have a concern that apps could become a driver distraction.

6. AC1K

AC1K Member

the usb port is only designed to work with UMS devices (USB Mass storage)

optical drives are not using the UMS protocol.

7. salamagd

salamagd Member

Exactly - even if, by some off chance, there was an USB optical drive driver installed and auto-mounting the device, I'm sure that Tesla's audio player app isn't looking for an optical drive to play from and therefore would never display it as an option.

8. K-billy

K-billy New Member

I have had no luck connecting a 2 TB USB HD. Initially the light is turned on, and the HD seems to be working, but after a minute it goes passive. The media library never recognises the connected HD.

Is there anything to be done, or do I have to try another HD? (I'm using Toshiba Stor.E Plus)

9. spentan

spentan Active Member

Something else to consider, the Apple Superdrive only works with Apple Computers (in my past experience).

Has anyone tried a generic CD/DVD Player? I have one, will try later today,

10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

USB drives must be formatted using FAT32. They will not be visible to the car if they're formatted as NTFS volumes.

11. K-billy

K-billy New Member

I am now trying to convert the NTSF partition to FAT32 without losing the 1,3 TB of FLAC files (although I have a backup, it takes days (literally) to make another copy from my old NAS).

12. pmppk

pmppk Member

The Apple USB Super Drive requires more power than the 500mA that a standard USB port provides. It only works with Apple computers and displays, which can provide it with 1 Amp.

13. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

Same results with my 1TB Seagate USB drive.

14. wayner

wayner Active Member

But external floppy disk drives do work!

15. spentan

spentan Active Member

Pics

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

17. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

I don't think exFAT works either - only FAT32...

18. ecarfan

That is very odd. Hard to believe Tesla intentionally made it so that their OS would read that kind of drive. Maybe some remnant driver in the version of Linux they are using.