Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried out a super charger for the first time in MY LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took a day trip to see the in-laws 88 miles away from where we live. I set the overnight charging to 100% and I had 321 miles for range when we left. Had a couple of short stops before we got on the expressway. The temp outside was around 40 degrees. I pushed the MY a bit and by the time we got there I was at 155 miles left to get back. We had take my daughter direct to practice 84 miles away and were late. The warning message I got from the car was to not exceed 70 to be able to make it. Luckily we arrived with about 6% battery left and a supercharging station a mile away from our destination. The super charging worked like a champ. We got up to 155 mile range in about 14 min. The only weird thing that happened while charging was that we heard a loud ping type nice from the back of the car. It happened twice and no indication of any issues from the car’s charging screen but thought that was weird. I am hoping we did not hear or feel a battery explode or something. Has anyone else noticed this effect while charging at a super charger?

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson
There is air expansion when packs warm up during super charging in cold climates and when changing elevation. Ithappens to Model 3’s as well. The M3 has a service bulletin dealing with the pack breathers. I’d use that as a reference when talking with the Service Center.

NTSB Service bulletin:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf
Thanks, for the link.

You'd think they would've used the new breathers on the Y...

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Visited the Supercharger here yesterday just to try the experience and make sure no surprises. I charges for about 15mins and got the clunk sounds as well. Scared my my wife but I explained.

No surprises...just like charging at home but faster and see you see the chargeup cost whereas at home it will be just part of the overall bill.

• Helpful
Reactions: captanzuelo