Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried testing the new driver attentiveness feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed 2021.4.18.3 which supposedly activates the inside camera (although there's no mention of this in the release notes). Activated AP on wide open road with no cars around and looked at my lap as if I were on my phone for about 90 seconds. No messages or nags were displayed at all during this time. Is it merely checking that someone's in the driver's seat?

Just installed 2021.4.18.3 which supposedly activates the inside camera (although there's no mention of this in the release notes). Activated AP on wide open road with no cars around and looked at my lap as if I were on my phone for about 90 seconds. No messages or nags were displayed at all during this time. Is it merely checking that someone's in the driver's seat?
That's definitely a good possibility, but more data needs to be available to prove this.

Mine has a picture with red hands and yells at me every few seconds if it detects I'm looking at my phone. And it'll do it every few seconds. Way different reaction if I'm just not paying attention or I forget to jiggle the steering wheel.

Reactions: mehfisto
Mine has a picture with red hands and yells at me every few seconds if it detects I'm looking at my phone. And it'll do it every few seconds. Way different reaction if I'm just not paying attention or I forget to jiggle the steering wheel.
Interesting. While looking around can be inattentiveness, that's not 100% fact either. I'm kind of glad it's only "yelling" if it sees you looking down at a phone. I'm curious what the reaction would be if one were to look in the back seat area?

Thanks for this info.

So I've had my MY now for over a year and it was my first time with Autopilot. I love autopilot and I like how it works today- But I'm not very comfortable with the camera deciding what it thinks I'm doing. I mean I'm being attentive, hand at 7pm on the wheel and not doing anything stupid... I'm not even a phone person really... BUT I'm still not a fan of this.

Now I know I've read that the cars with radar still (like me) is not going to have this "feature" activated yet... but really? I mean I guess this is the first time I'm not sure I believe Tesla... and with the eventual conversion to vision only autopilot... As a programmer I think I get it- its a lot easier to teach the AI when all the inputs are the same (vision) vs mostly vision and some radar... But again, I really like my autopilot now and my gut says it may take a few steps backward before we go forward again...

Again I love my MY- but as a programmer I know what my major releases can look like- especially if there isn't enough testing... so I'm not sure I want in yet.

So I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking like me... maybe 2021.4.18.0 may be the last update for a while... I'm thinking of sitting out for a bit. Anyone else thinking that?

Reactions: Giraffe950
So you’re saying that if both hands are on the wheel and you look at your phone for a few seconds, you get the alert?

I wear sunglasses 100% of the time I'm driving in daylight and I feel I'm getting this warning more and more even with hands on the wheel. Guess it doesn't detect it enough and if it's looking at eyes then this will be a big issue because even with tint all around you can't drive in FL without glasses

Reactions: whisperingshad
I wear sunglasses 100% of the time I'm driving in daylight and I feel I'm getting this warning more and more even with hands on the wheel. Guess it doesn't detect it enough and if it's looking at eyes then this will be a big issue because even with tint all around you can't drive in FL without glasses
on my last trip I had the same experience. wearing sun glasses I get nagged nonstop so finally just took my sunglasses off since the sun had moved behind me, but if the sun is in front of me I have to wear sunglasses.

I wish mine would go that long without nagging - typically the ‘grab steering wheel’ alert pops up every 10-15 seconds. Sometimes even when my hands are on the steering wheel.

Reactions: whisperingshad