Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trigger wire for 12v accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm installing underglow led kit and I was wondering if I should power it through the fuse or 12v battery. I'm trying to have it auto turn off/on with the car headlights so it will not be on all the time.

I'm installing underglow led kit and I was wondering if I should power it through the fuse or 12v battery. I'm trying to have it auto turn off/on with the car headlights so it will not be on all the time.
giphy.gif

not my style. but, what you are looking for is a switched 12v. your underglow kit likely has a relay that requires 12v, switched 12v, ground. hooking anything to the 12v constant is a recipe for a dead battery

The 12V battery is the weakest link in MX. if it dies as it often does, you will be stranded. You will not be able to unlock/open the car and trying to get to the 12V battery is not easy as an ICE car as the frunk is locked and there is an elaborate procedure to open the frunk and get to the 12V battery to try and jump start the 12V battery to unlock the car. There are a few youtube videos on how to open the frunk and get to the 12V battery, may be you would like to watch the videos and then take an informed decision.

The 12V battery is the weakest link in MX. if it dies as it often does, you will be stranded. You will not be able to unlock/open the car and trying to get to the 12V battery is not easy as an ICE car as the frunk is locked and there is an elaborate procedure to open the frunk and get to the 12V battery to try and jump start the 12V battery to unlock the car. There are a few youtube videos on how to open the frunk and get to the 12V battery, may be you would like to watch the videos and then take an informed decision.
^^ reminds me, I need to install a tender pigtail and battery monitor

I already installed it tapping directly to the 12v battery, the unit has on/off feature via app so I'll just use it to turn on/off the lights. If the 12v dies it'll give me an excuse to upgrade to ohmmu.

if the on/off via switched 12v is through the app, then you are likely just powering off the battery and you will kill your battery over time. if you hooked up a wire to the battery, and have a trigger wire to a light switch then you should be fine