Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trim and Finish Niggles -unexpected in a £80k car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I am delighted with my new 90D I am a bit surprised about some of the trim and finish niggles I have (I have sent a list to service and await their response). Various issues such as the rubber trim on the drivers window not being fitted completely (it's loose at the bottom end), grubby marks and some indents on the leather, loose trim in the corners by the front windscreen (you can press the triangle bit in and it moves in and out), and an annoying rattle on the passengers side.

I had a serious issue with the car before it was delivered, where they had to fit a new wiring loom, so I expect these may be related to the work that was done on the car before I got hold of it!

Has anyone else had similar trim and finish niggles?

Although I am delighted with my new 90D I am a bit surprised about some of the trim and finish niggles I have (I have sent a list to service and await their response). Various issues such as the rubber trim on the drivers window not being fitted completely (it's loose at the bottom end), grubby marks and some indents on the leather, loose trim in the corners by the front windscreen (you can press the triangle bit in and it moves in and out), and an annoying rattle on the passengers side.

I had a serious issue with the car before it was delivered, where they had to fit a new wiring loom, so I expect these may be related to the work that was done on the car before I got hold of it!

Yup, pretty much par for the course. If you've come from Audi/BMW/Mercedes, you'll notice the fit and finish on Tesla's is not yet up to those standards. Apparently the fit and finish is already quite a bit better than early cars though, so they are making progress. Chalk it up to a young car company I guess.

In my experience, the service center will make things right, but you may have to go in a couple times to get everything looked after.

Chalk it up to a young car company I guess.
Thanks Gordo. It makes sense. I guess this could be an opportunity for the other premium car makers; assuming they could match the tech elsewhere within a few years, then even a basic 1lr Audi A1 we test drove recently as a second car, had a very high quality interior. Tesla can't rely on just being innovative and young for too long, they have lots of benefits currently (and Supercharger is significant I think) but I suspect there will be serious competition in less than 5 years, and these smaller things could become what they are judged on.

My late 2013 S was flawless when delivered to me, and that was the case for most S deliveries. Some cars have issues at delivery...as is the case with many auto manufacturer's cars.
I kind of have to ask myself, what is your motivation for the relentless negativity and hyperbole in your posts?

+1 what Gordo said. There are two types of buyers. There are those who have owned super premium cars before and bought a Tesla. And there are those for whom this is their first toe in the water of cars that range from $90k to $130k.

If ever you have owned a BMW or Benz in that price level, then "niggles" is being incredibly kind.

You'll hear a lot of folks being incredibly patient with the SC to meet lower expectations than would be had from someone coming from a (example) 745li. It's all a matter of perspective. I never had a 745li. Nicest former car was a $57k Jag XF. No offense in you are British. But a Jag is the perfect "came-from" car. Talk about niggles!!

In terms of fit and finish my June of 2015 70D was pretty good. There was only one piece under the car that wasn't quite aligned right, and an annoying dash rattle. The SC fixed both of them.

It wasn't much different than my experience with a Range Rover Sport, Audi S4/TT, or a Porsche Cayman S. They all had minor annoyances that took a trip to the service center to fix. The only car I've ever owned that didn't go right back to the service center is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and it didn't not because I didn't have an issue, but because I hated the buying experience so much I didn't want anything to do with them.

From what I've gathered on these forums is various SC's do a better job of catching things then others. My delivery SC (in Seattle) seemed to do a pretty good job, and the SC (in Bellevue) did a great job at fixing the things I found. Of course one could say the factory QC should be catching those things. They should and hopefully they'll get better at it.

My worst delivery experience is still with a Porsche Cayman S because it had a rattle above my head. Ugh, painful to drive and cursing at myself for not noticing it when I test drove it.

When I was picking up the Tesla I was armed with the delivery checklist and I was mentally prepared to reject the car if I found anything, but I didn't find anything when I picked it up.

I'm quite happy with the fit and finish on my car. I picked it up in Austin, TX about 6 months ago and just recently noticed a noise on the passenger side while driving rough roads. It is a bit annoying sounding a bit like a low frequency cricket chirp. Luckily I have the fancy sound system so I just crank up the tunes when I hear it. I will have this addressed the next time I'm in Austin and have no worries that the problem will be resolved. As a previous BMW owner I can say the Tesla is far better and the service I've received thus far makes the BMW dealers I've dealt with look like buffoons.

My Tesla also has the annoying cricket sound on the passenger side, but my MBZ had many more issues, and even my Ferrari had some issues, and still does! Some things they've never been able to fix. So it doesn't really matter how much one pays, does it?

I still think Tesla has ('have' for you UK blokes) done an amazing job for such a young car company. I marvel every day that they were able to create this car when no other car manufacturer has even tried. Seriously? It's not that hard, as Tesla has proved.