Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trim Levels VS Custom

Should Tesla create trim level or all custom?

• Yes—trim levels may make things easier

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No—I want to build from scratch

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TrickyDimitri

Soon...very soon.
Apr 20, 2016
NC
I am far from an expert in production, but I was wondering what people are thinking about Tesla using popular configurations as trim levels instead of a full custom build by the 400k+ reservation holders? My guess is that most people will add options that will fall in a few standard groupings. Could this help them speed up production by forming production lines with each model when they start building? If somebody wants something specific outside of the trim levels, then they could custom order. Thoughts from the group?

I am thinking since this is suppose to be a mass production car, that the trim levels will be like most other car manufacturers. Two or three levels. Though Ala cart is great, it slows production. Custom orders should NOT be an option in my opinion. Reserve that for higher end MS or MX cars.

I voted yes to trim levels, but I think the answer should be both. Given the number of reservations, they should offer trim levels that people could select from, or allow custom builds but make the options a bit more expensive on the custom builds to make up for the production inefficiency. In production, they could then emphasize their production capacity on trim level cars while having limited capacity for a custom builds.

I have no experience in car manufacturing, so I don't know whether my suggestion has any real basis in reality. Just my conceptual idea for how it'd work.

from a mass production standpoint, and for all of us who want their cars sooner, the option should be "trim levels".

It's way easier for Tesla to punch up in the system... "this week, build maxed out Model 3's. Next week, all mid-levels" and just keep hot-swapping.

For them to get some of the "$35,000" versions out there for the masses sooner than 2019, trim levels is your answer.

from a mass production standpoint, and for all of us who want their cars sooner, the option should be "trim levels".

It's way easier for Tesla to punch up in the system... "this week, build maxed out Model 3's. Next week, all mid-levels" and just keep hot-swapping.

For them to get some of the "$35,000" versions out there for the masses sooner than 2019, trim levels is your answer.

My gut tells me that trim levels would speed up production for the masses. I guess it all depends on how fast they want the average person to get their Model 3. I think it will be a balancing act to keep current Tesla owners feeling special while allowing those of us for whom Tesla has only been a dream (until now) to get our cars. Personally I like the idea of custom building my car, but as I said earlier I bet I would pick a set of options that many others would as well and could be a trim level. I am interested to see what other opinions come up on this thread.

My gut tells me that trim levels would speed up production for the masses. I guess it all depends on how fast they want the average person to get their Model 3. I think it will be a balancing act to keep current Tesla owners feeling special while allowing those of us for whom Tesla has only been a dream (until now) to get our cars. Personally I like the idea of custom building my car, but as I said earlier I bet I would pick a set of options that many others would as well and could be a trim level. I am interested to see what other opinions come up on this thread.

It's going to be a very fine line balancing the PR world vs. the need to turn a profit.

This car is promised to be available starting at $35,000, but to turn a profit, they're going to have to churn out a few PXXD-L's.

Trim levels would be able to make that happen sooner. in a standard quarter, you'll likely have 15-16 weeks (give or take, for holidays, etc).

I think after a full quarter of just high-optioned Model 3's, they'd do well to sprinkle in a week or 2 of Base Models on the assembly line. (It would also give them time to replenish their supply chain for the higher-optioned cars (wheels, batteries, suspension, etc etc)

Reactions: CTreast
The MX and MS seem to have trim levels now. If you are looking at if from the battery capacity/performance model perspective. Everything else is options, kind of like how the other luxury manufacturers do it. As evidenced by the MX it appears they are already starting to tie particular options together (towing + 6/7 seats to air suspension), so that is likely to continue for the 3. The downside is this bundling isn't actually making the price any cheaper.

The MX and MS seem to have trim levels now. If you are looking at if from the battery capacity/performance model perspective. Everything else is options, kind of like how the other luxury manufacturers do it. As evidenced by the MX it appears they are already starting to tie particular options together (towing + 6/7 seats to air suspension), so that is likely to continue for the 3. The downside is this bundling isn't actually making the price any cheaper.

I came here to say the same thing. Tesla does the same thing the other manufacturers are doing. I think most other people underestimate the number of additional options in the luxury market because econoboxes generally don't seem to have many substantial additional options. I also think that only being able to see what's at the dealership contributes to this to this misconception that only the only difference between cars is the trim level.

Take a look at the options and trims for my car, a 2015 Subaru Legacy. You can see there are actually quite a number of minor options. There's are options for a moonroof (not quite a panoramic roof) and for EyeSight (the closest thing this car gets to AP), as well as many other minor details (kinda like the interior package, but split up into individual items and for the inside and outside).

Personally, I see Tesla continuing to follow their tiered model as they do now. There will be a base model, an upgraded battery model, and a performance model. I think Tesla will cut some options which might not make sense outside the full luxury market like the bioweapon defense and air-suspension in order to make the options slightly simpler (read: cost effective). There will probably not be interior detail customizing like the Model S/X and instead simply a choice of interior color and exterior color.

What remains to be seen is if Tesla will expand the number of trim-specific items (like the spoiler or the red brake covers). Most other manufacturers keep many details locked to a trim (like leather seats or wheel design/size) in order to up-sell for higher margins and simplify the lineup.

I voted for trim levels only because it will speed up production and be cheaper. That being said, there are some items that are bundled on the Model S that I would like to see eliminated from the bundle at a reduction in price. Namely the Hepa filter included in the Premium Interior bundle. Very expensive item that I would rather have the saving

Dan

I voted for trim levels only because it will speed up production and be cheaper. That being said, there are some items that are bundled on the Model S that I would like to see eliminated from the bundle at a reduction in price. Namely the Hepa filter included in the Premium Interior bundle. Very expensive item that I would rather have the saving

Dan