Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trimming down the Card Key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Is it possible to trim the Card Key down in size similar to a "rewards/loyalty" type cards? Is the RFID chip located in the center and how large is it? Has anyone successfully done this?

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 6.39.57 AM.png

Reactions: privater
There is a thread in a different forum with a X-ray of the card, which might help you.
Just Google it (I’m not sure if it would be ok to post here the link to a different forum).
Does it indicate the card can be trimmed down? Has anyone here successfully done it. I don't carry my wallet all the time and want to have on a keychain as a backup to my iPhone.

If you cut the antenna loop and re-solder it smaller it almost certainly won't work. That antenna size is a very particular size... also it's not just a single piece of wire.

If you want a smaller device, the keyfob is smaller (albeit thicker) :)

How many actually use the card? I’ve used it maybe twice. All phone key for me.

I've used mine a number of times although I routinely access the car with my phone. I will add that there have been times when the car for whatever reason prompts me to touch the card to the center console. The phone access has been pretty good lately but there have been times when it hasn't connected and it's just simplier to pull out the card.

I do have the key fob and do use it occasionally as well. Did so today when my husband wanted to put something into the trunk. The thing I need to remember though when using the card is to make sure to lock it with the card when I leave. I do have the honk to lock set so always try to listen for it as an extra reminder.

Great video and I guess trimming it down isn't really possible since the antenna runs the perimeter. Would like to have the card as a backup but will just use my iPhone without backup.

Has anyone found a practical "hide away" method maybe something like a magnetic key box to keep a card on the car for emergencies?

Great video and I guess trimming it down isn't really possible since the antenna runs the perimeter. Would like to have the card as a backup but will just use my iPhone without backup.

Has anyone found a practical "hide away" method maybe something like a magnetic key box to keep a card on the car for emergencies?
Don't really need to go that far, Tesla's can be unlocked remotely by your trusted friend or family that have the Tesla app logged into your account.

Or worst case scenario, you can contact Tesla over the phone and they can unlock it for you remotely (though you'd have to prove that you are the actual owner).

Though of course this only works if you don't get stranded in the middle of the desert with no cell reception.

Phone as key works off bluetooth, so as long as your phone is charged, you should be able to get in with your phone. If it's finicky, you may need to reboot your phone, or re-open the tesla app and hit the unlock button. It doesn't need to connect to Tesla's servers to unlock the car via phone.

Don't really need to go that far, Tesla's can be unlocked remotely by your trusted friend or family that have the Tesla app logged into your account.

Or worst case scenario, you can contact Tesla over the phone and they can unlock it for you remotely (though you'd have to prove that you are the actual owner).

Though of course this only works if you don't get stranded in the middle of the desert with no cell reception.

Phone as key works off bluetooth, so as long as your phone is charged, you should be able to get in with your phone. If it's finicky, you may need to reboot your phone, or re-open the tesla app and hit the unlock button. It doesn't need to connect to Tesla's servers to unlock the car via phone.
Yea not too worried but just though if I could pair down the Card so it was unnoticeable on the keychain that would be plus. Wish Tesla had chose the smaller key chain size instead of CC size.

Reactions: kayak1

Or in a parking garage surrounded by steel and concrete. There was a post by one owner in such a case and even Tesla couldn't access the car remotely and he had to have it towed the next day (can't recall the specifics of what went wrong low battery or other issue) but just to point out you don't have to be out in the desert somewhere to not have cell reception.

Reactions: kayak1
The phone access has been pretty good lately but there have been times when it hasn't connected and it's just simplier to pull out the card.

I've read that phone-as-key works better for iOS and for Android version 9 ("Pie") and later; Android 8 ("Oreo") and earlier don't work as well. When I took delivery of my car, just under a month ago, my OnePlus 5t phone was running Oreo (LineageOS 15.1, to be precise), and the phone worked as a key about half the time. To be fair, it usually did eventually work, but I'd have to pull on the handle four or five times before it would open. I upgraded to LineageOS 16 (Android 9) and it's been much more reliable since then, although still not perfect -- I'd say it works about 90% of the time now, but still takes a while to grant me entry sometimes. Thus, if you're having problems with an Android 8 or earlier phone, you might check with the manufacturer to see if an upgrade to Android 9 is available. If not, and if you're technically savvy enough, you could check out LineageOS or other fully open-source Android versions; but installing these is not a trivial undertaking, so don't try unless you're confident you can do it. In a worst-case scenario, replacing an older phone with a newer one (an iPhone or Android 9 device) might be worthwhile. The Model 3 key fob is $150, which isn't that much less than a new phone -- although Android 9 is new enough that it may only be available on high-end phones at this point.