Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip A and Trip B bog down the CPU's memory and processor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
At my recent service center visit, the service rep told me that many of the weirdnesses exhibited in the 17" screen apps (including nav blue-line bugs, the fact that four door handles often present even though I have it set to driver's door only, etc) are caused by the fact that my Trip B was over 46,000 miles.

The day I took delivery of my S in 2013, I set Trip B, and then left it alone. I wanted to capture the lifetime Wh/mi average, and for the past 18 months have watched as I managed to get it from about 345 to 340 to 338 to most recently, 337. I was hoping to get it under 335.

And now this service center guy was telling me that the computer was storing MASSIVE amounts of data for all those 46,000 miles (I got the impression it was gigabytes), and it was really dragging down performance of the computer. This seems . . . unlikely. But he was convincing enough that I said ok, and reset my cherished Trip B to zero.

But I wonder. Have any of you ever heard such a thing before? Has any service center told you the same thing?

Just curious if there are any facts to back up this claim. Like, some software engineer at Tesla, or a technical service bulletin at a service center. Something official.

At my recent service center visit, the service rep told me that many of the weirdnesses exhibited in the 17" screen apps (including nav blue-line bugs, the fact that four door handles often present even though I have it set to driver's door only, etc) are caused by the fact that my Trip B was over 46,000 miles.

The day I took delivery of my S in 2013, I set Trip B, and then left it alone. I wanted to capture the lifetime Wh/mi average, and for the past 18 months have watched as I managed to get it from about 345 to 340 to 338 to most recently, 337. I was hoping to get it under 335.

And now this service center guy was telling me that the computer was storing MASSIVE amounts of data for all those 46,000 miles (I got the impression it was gigabytes), and it was really dragging down performance of the computer. This seems . . . unlikely. But he was convincing enough that I said ok, and reset my cherished Trip B to zero.

But I wonder. Have any of you ever heard such a thing before? Has any service center told you the same thing?

Just curious if there are any facts to back up this claim. Like, some software engineer at Tesla, or a technical service bulletin at a service center. Something official.
Never heard that and it doesn't make sense to me. We have heard different explanations from various SvC techs on this problem from having too many "Places" and needing to clear them in Nav to leaving a thumb drive in the USB port, maybe other explanations as well.

Right, I remember Bjorn convincingly demonstrated how his nav's huge list of places was seriously bogging down performance of the nav app, and that when he deleted them, the performance hit went away.

But does this same sort of thing apply to Trips A/B? I can't imagine a software engineer being so sloppy as to record snapshots, what, every second?, for forty-six thousand miles and three years' worth of "trips".

Have 55k on B (lifetime stats) and 31k on A (for latest set of tires).

This is something the service centers were saying for a while, but it isn't true. I thought they stopped propagating this myth months ago.

Clearing the history list of Nav will improve performance however.

After a year of experiencing many problems & several trips to the SC I was told the same thing, reseting the A & B trips should remedy things, I was having maps not downloading, slacker pausing after each song, sluggish MCU performance, random MCU crashes, etc...

July 2013 delivery with just over 40k I had never reset the trips & was told the same thing that each trip is stored for whatever reason & in my case cache was corrupted, after the lead tech finally discovered this recently there appears to be an improvement in performance but its too soon to tell if my problems are resolved, I can't believe a simple fix would have avoided a year of aggravation & some of the lame excuses I was given as to the cause.

My advice reset A & B trips & delete saved searches periodically & reboot twice a month.

I have heard of it before and if the software war written poorly, it might cause a performance hit. Not saying it is true. It would be stupid to keep detailed driving data in memory and use that data set to calculate an average. It is just a matter of two numbers: "total miles" and "total energy". Two numbers! All the car needs to do is update these two values to get the average.

Reactions: Topher
I had the experience of a (presumably well-intentioned) service tech proactively resetting my trip A and B meters during a service appointment without my prior knowledge or approval. I was not happy because they (had) contained my lifetime energy usage stats, like with many of us. The service advisor gave the same rationale of improving / fixing performance. I said they should at least have asked me before destroying this information, but in the end there wasn't anything they could do.

The weird thing is that some MCU issues I had been experiencing did seem to go away after this. Understand, I'm a software guy, and this sounds kind of crazy, also correlation is not causality, as they say. But I now wonder if resetting the trip meters has some side effect (beyond clearing a couple of counters) that clears up performance problems. Clearly only someone familiar with the code would be able to say for sure.

In any case my checklist before taking my S in for servicing now includes an item to take a snapshot of the trip meters screen on the MCU because whether the rationale makes sense or not, I don't (can't) trust service techs to keep that data intact. Those of you who care about your lifetime stats may want to consider doing the same.

Bruce.

I just can't imagine the software being so poorly designed that, in my case, it had perhaps 46,000 separate data samples (one for each mile) stored away somewhere. There are countless Computer Science 101 approaches to avoiding such wasteful use of storage. It's a shame we as owners of these computers-on-wheels are so disconnected from the part of the company responsible for the computers and firmware. I wish Tesla had a technology ombudsman who could answer these kinds of questions, once and for all, and all questions could be stored on the website for owners to reference. That, in contrast, would be a useful chunk of data to store.

Reactions: msnow
I just can't imagine the software being so poorly designed that, in my case, it had perhaps 46,000 separate data samples (one for each mile) stored away somewhere. There are countless Computer Science 101 approaches to avoiding such wasteful use of storage. It's a shame we as owners of these computers-on-wheels are so disconnected from the part of the company responsible for the computers and firmware. I wish Tesla had a technology ombudsman who could answer these kinds of questions, once and for all, and all questions could be stored on the website for owners to reference. That, in contrast, would be a useful chunk of data to store.
That would be awesome.

Did resetting it help?

I had some touchscreen issues that required repair (remotely) during this process I was told my web browser was on a page that was using up lots of memory or CPU power (can't remember) and that even though I rarely use my browser it was active in the background. Now I leave my browser on the duck duck go homepage. I was also told my USB sticks were contributing to slowing down the CPU because I copied my entire iTunes library which also contains artwork. Tesla recommends only having the audio files on a USB stick (no pictures) for best performance. During the "fixing" of my problem both of my trip computers were reset to "0" which also bummed me out.

I'm really looking forward to the day they offer a CPU upgrade for the touchscreen.

I started experience UI issues last week when I plugged in my USB drive, I would lose: bluetooth, LTE, and navigation screen will freeze.

I took my car in for its annual service Wednesday and we were able to reproduce the issue. The tech looked at it and stated that issue was cause by my Trip information using a lot of memory. I have 26k on Trip A and 6k on Trip B (14 day road trip a few weeks ago).

They asked if they could delete the Trip data because they felt it was the cause of my issues. I did some research and found this thread, and told them NOT to delete Trip A, but they could delete Trip B. I got an email 4 hours later stating that the foreman instructed the technician to perform the full reset on the trip information.

What was the point of even asking if they were going to delete it anyway!?

This is the 2nd major fail in as many appointments.

I have been having issues, slacker skipping, nav not loading, won't close garage door when leaving, overall just a bogged down computer. Wish they would offer optional upgrade, I would be happy to pay to have i7 and/or more GB of memory so that there would be no chance of it slowing down. When I type in an address I don't want to wait 5 minutes for it to give me a route.
Have been in multiple times and various fixes since Oct.
First was to remove thumb drive, then month or so later was deleting map locations.
The last time in they did same - trip info taking up too much room. Of course many screen resets, have to since slacker won't stop skipping until reset. One time when I reset while driving it would not come back up - no air in Texas. After I got to my place (dripping wet) turned car off and hour later came back and it did restart.
Not sure what is tying it up, wife has first year car and no issues - but then, no autopilot or any of the sensors...

I have been having issues, slacker skipping, nav not loading, won't close garage door when leaving, overall just a bogged down computer. Wish they would offer optional upgrade, I would be happy to pay to have i7 and/or more GB of memory so that there would be no chance of it slowing down. When I type in an address I don't want to wait 5 minutes for it to give me a route.
Have been in multiple times and various fixes since Oct.
The fix for routes taking a long time to load is deleting your previous routes stored in history.
Watch that, it shows you how to fix the navigation lag