Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip advice, vicinity of Bishop, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
Moderator note: The first 6 posts in this thread were moved from the thread for the Bishop, CA Supercharger.

I need some help kind folk. I know this is not specific to the Bishop Supercharger, but figure this is the best place to post to get answers in a hurry.

I have a backpacking trip this weekend outside Bishop, about an 18 mi drive uphill to the pass, where it will be around 50 degrees at night where I will be parked in the mountain for 3 nights, so there may be some reasonable vampire losses. I initially was planning on taking an ICE, since I was staying in Mammoth, but I am now staying in a motel in Bishop. I am now thinking of taking by Model S (242 RM) instead, just because I love this car so much!

Checking EVTripPlanner (I am not sure if that site is as accurate as it was in the past), I need 173 RM to go from Lone Pine, to my trailhead, and back. I may need to move around a bit in Lone Pine to get some last minute supplies, so consider it 180. Then, with vampire loses over several days, maybe 10 RM/Day, that would bring me to 210 RM needed. That seems to be getting a bit risky for the trip back to Lone Pine. I guess if I am running low, i could hit the level 2 charger at the Vons, but would rather not waste additional time to get those miles.

Ideally, I would like to charge overnight where I am staying in Bishop, get a full charge, then be really good to go for the entire trip back to Lone Pine. Checking PlugShare, the J-Diamond Mobile Ranch would have been almost perfect, being only a block away, but they are currently not allowing any overnight charges. I have until tomorrow to change motels if there is a different one that offers a plug in.

I do not have a CHADeMO adapter, and I do not know anyone who does.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some help kind folk. I know this is not specific to the Bishop Supercharger, but figure this is the best place to post to get answers in a hurry.

I have a backpacking trip this weekend outside Bishop, about an 18 mi drive uphill to the pass, where it will be around 50 degrees at night where I will be parked in the mountain for 3 nights, so there may be some reasonable vampire losses. I initially was planning on taking an ICE, since I was staying in Mammoth, but I am now staying in a motel in Bishop. I am now thinking of taking by Model S (242 RM) instead, just because I love this car so much!

Checking EVTripPlanner (I am not sure if that site is as accurate as it was in the past), I need 173 RM to go from Lone Pine, to my trailhead, and back. I may need to move around a bit in Lone Pine to get some last minute supplies, so consider it 180. Then, with vampire loses over several days, maybe 10 RM/Day, that would bring me to 210 RM needed. That seems to be getting a bit risky for the trip back to Lone Pine. I guess if I am running low, i could hit the level 2 charger at the Vons, but would rather not waste additional time to get those miles.

Ideally, I would like to charge overnight where I am staying in Bishop, get a full charge, then be really good to go for the entire trip back to Lone Pine. Checking PlugShare, the J-Diamond Mobile Ranch would have been almost perfect, being only a block away, but they are currently not allowing any overnight charges. I have until tomorrow to change motels if there is a different one that offers a plug in.

Have you checked with Highlands RV park in Bishop (on PlugShare)? Possible 14-50? I hope you brought your mobile charger?
You also might check with the Best Western in Bishop, I think I remember some sort of AC power directly across from the Lobby under the car port. I stayed there in an ICE, but I seem to remember a plug. Maybe a simple 120V

Have you checked with Highlands RV park in Bishop (on PlugShare)? Possible 14-50? I hope you brought your mobile charger?
You also might check with the Best Western in Bishop, I think I remember some sort of AC power directly across from the Lobby under the car port. I stayed there in an ICE, but I seem to remember a plug. Maybe a simple 120V
Highland RV is really far from town. Not really practical. I called the Best Western and they said nothing available. This SC would really solve everything for this trip, but alas...

The Creekside Inn in Bishop (at a very nice real creek) has 120v outlets spaced all around the building opposite the parking stalls. I believe they are there to keep ICE engines warm in the winter, but I have used them several times on different trips to get a little level one charge overnight with no complaints from the management. 10 hours at Level one is 11 or 12 kWh. Pretty pathetic but it can help. I don’t know what they are doing during COVID-19 but during regular times they serve a very nice hot breakfast.
As one of the nicest lodges in town, I have lobbied them to install level two and I told them about the free HPWC they can get from Tesla. As a hotel they just apply to Tesla and request Destiination charge. The assistant managers expressed interest but nothing ever came of it.