Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Down Memory Lane - Pics of Concept and Prototype Model S - how many differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a trip down memory lane with photos of concept and prototype Model S. How many differences can you spot?

Photos 1 thru 8

3387753757_f5ab39dcc5_b.jpg

3388610604_9df7ac2587_b.jpg

3429203487_66d0808be6_b.jpg

3901376901_0eafaa0214_b.jpg

3902154698_37e156aa1e_b.jpg

front_3_4a.jpg

may2011_1.jpg

Tesla_Model_S_2009_785.jpg

The concept exterior is still quite nice, but wow I *much* prefer the current dashboard to that initial version. The enclosure around the touchscreen is especially unpleasant for me, and I much prefer the current gear-shift to the clunky controls in the concept.

Thanks for posting these, that was a great idea! :)

I have often wondered why the production S has the front strakes on both sides of the lower grille area. They don't seem to have a function. I preferred the smoother look on the initial design concept.

Those have louvers that open when the cooling fans are operating to draw in air. There are radiators behind them.

Yes, and while not quite as pretty, I am sure that the lengthened "chin" (air-dam) helped the aerodynamics.

My recollection - from a Franz interview, I think - is that we have Transport Canada to thank for that. In an unfortunate collision, the protruded chin would knock pedestrians lower down their legs than at the knees thus reducing the extent of the injuries.