Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Down Memory Lane - Pics of Concept and Prototype Model S - how many differences?

Francis Lau

P-1456
May 27, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Here is a trip down memory lane with photos of concept and prototype Model S. How many differences can you spot?

Photos 1 thru 8

3387753757_f5ab39dcc5_b.jpg

3388610604_9df7ac2587_b.jpg

3429203487_66d0808be6_b.jpg

3901376901_0eafaa0214_b.jpg

3902154698_37e156aa1e_b.jpg

front_3_4a.jpg

may2011_1.jpg

Tesla_Model_S_2009_785.jpg

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
I have often wondered why the production S has the front strakes on both sides of the lower grille area. They don't seem to have a function. I preferred the smoother look on the initial design concept.

The seat bases in that interior view have wrinkles in them! What's with that?

steve841

Jan 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have often wondered why the production S has the front strakes on both sides of the lower grille area. They don't seem to have a function. I preferred the smoother look on the initial design concept.

Those have louvers that open when the cooling fans are operating to draw in air. There are radiators behind them.

K5ING

MegaMiler
Feb 6, 2013
Denton, Texas
I think the interior changed quite a bit from the prototype. Note the location of the "gear selector" on the console (lower right corner of the picture) instead of the steering column.

tesla-model-s-infotainment-screen_100335620_m.jpg

karmamule

May 24, 2014
Waltham, MA
The concept exterior is still quite nice, but wow I *much* prefer the current dashboard to that initial version. The enclosure around the touchscreen is especially unpleasant for me, and I much prefer the current gear-shift to the clunky controls in the concept.

Thanks for posting these, that was a great idea! :)

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA

Those have louvers that open when the cooling fans are operating to draw in air. There are radiators behind them.

Yes, and while not quite as pretty, I am sure that the lengthened "chin" (air-dam) helped the aerodynamics.

My recollection - from a Franz interview, I think - is that we have Transport Canada to thank for that. In an unfortunate collision, the protruded chin would knock pedestrians lower down their legs than at the knees thus reducing the extent of the injuries.

CatB

Mar 2, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Thanks, Francis, for posting these - since I first heard of Tesla and first saw it when I testdrove in Dec '12, I have never seen them. I love how they streamlined the interior, not surprising that Tesla continuously improves :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC