Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Trip from Ct. to Fl.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LATTA, SC Abingdon Manor, 1 80A HPWC

>$200 per night!!

CHARLESTON, SC Belmond Charleston Place ... 2 80A HPWC

>$300 per night!!!!

And C-town is WAY far off from I95. I wouldn't go there unless I had to.

Incidentally, on my trip to FL earlier this year, I did have a Bat Mitzvah to attend in C-town, and it was quite a detour off the highway, especially going south back to 95. And I needed to charge while in town. I stayed at a different hotel in downtown Charlestown, and found an L2 charger at a parking lot a few blocks away.

I was playing around with Supercharge.info and using 195 Mile range.... here is what I came up with....

Start at Milford, Ct SC
Newark, DE
Glen Allen, VA
Rocky Mount, NC (our usual stop using ICE cars at the end of Day 1)
Lumberton, NC
Santee, SC
Savannah, GA
Lake City, FL or Saint Augustine, FL

ON paper it looks good, but I have traveled a lot with both my Teslas. You may want to lower your range expectations to maybe 130-150 which will take only about 20-30 min stops. I think you will double your stop time by charging to 195 or higher. BTW if you want 195 range at highway speeds you probably need about 230 in the battery and that will take an hour to charge. Just consider the leapfrog effect every 2 hours or so 120 miles stop and charge. Also as mentioned in my previous post, you must pay attention to the time and day you go through DC. If you hit there late week after 3pm you may get stuck in 50 miles of bumper to bumper UNBELIEVEABLE traffic.

ON paper it looks good, but I have traveled a lot with both my Teslas. You may want to lower your range expectations to maybe 130-150 which will take only about 20-30 min stops. I think you will double your stop time by charging to 195 or higher. BTW if you want 195 range at highway speeds you probably need about 230 in the battery and that will take an hour to charge. Just consider the leapfrog effect every 2 hours or so 120 miles stop and charge.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Except for the first leg Milford to Newark, even then I'd prob stop at the NJTP charger for 15 minutes because it's so convenient and Newark is well known to be congested (i.e. Sharing a charge)!

Woodbridge is a slight pain to get to, but I'd also include that stop as well for the same leapfrog reasons.

So it's looking more likely that I'll be doing this trip starting Dec 26th. I have what is probably a stupid question. Do I make the trip in my snow tires which will be on the car at that point or do I change back to my all-seasons since most of the trip will be in weather above 45 degrees. Thoughts? It's only a 10 day trip so is it really worth changing and would heat really impact winter tire lifespan?

...Also as mentioned in my previous post, you must pay attention to the time and day you go through DC. If you hit there late week after 3pm you may get stuck in 50 miles of bumper to bumper UNBELIEVEABLE traffic.

Mnlevin is quite right about DC beltway traffic when you take the I-95 corridor. I live here in the DC area, and I can assure you that hitting the beltway at rush hour is a recipe for sitting in traffic for several hours. Just don't do it. There really aren't any other reasonable parallel corridors either that head north/south. So make sure you time it to hit the DC area around lunch time and just go flying through to Glen Allen SC

Funny, I also have two sets of tires - summer tires for spring, summer and fall, and all-seasons for winter driving (but NOT in snow, I have an ICE car with proper snow tires for driving in any amount of snow).

But driving 2500 miles on snow tires in warmer temps will wear them faster since the rubber is very soft. Will that " impact winter tire lifespan"? Sure it will.. but the amount probably isn't enough to worry about too much. Since there's plenty of NE weather after December, I'd leave the snows on just for the convenience of not swapping them out twice for a 10 day trip. But if your trip was say in March, I'd swap them and just leave them on.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll wait and see what the weather forecast is for that timeframe and decide.

Hank - I drive to Vermont just about every weekend in the winter with the Model S. While I also have an ICE I could use, I just love driving the S. I decided to treat her like and everyday car for all seasons so I drive her everywhere. 30k miles in just over a year. My goal is to get my cost down to $0.50 per mile and then I will trade in an get another one. Should be another 5 years before that happens.

. While I also have an ICE I could use, I just love driving the S. I decided to treat her like and everyday car for all seasons so I drive her everywhere. 30k miles in just over a year. My goal is to get my cost down to $0.50 per mile and then I will trade in an get another one. Should be another 5 years before that happens.

Good for you!! I just don't trust winter the drivers around here enough to take my Model S out in the snow, just because aluminum body repair is so expensive.. If I'm going to get hit, I'd rather it be in my ICE winter beater (a 2002 BMW M5.. ;) )

So it's looking more likely that I'll be doing this trip starting Dec 26th. I have what is probably a stupid question. Do I make the trip in my snow tires which will be on the car at that point or do I change back to my all-seasons since most of the trip will be in weather above 45 degrees. Thoughts? It's only a 10 day trip so is it really worth changing and would heat really impact winter tire lifespan?
I would stick with the all seasons because once you get south of VA, the bulk of the drive, you will almost be assured of not having a need for the snow tires and the warmer weather will impact the life of the snow tires.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Except for the first leg Milford to Newark, even then I'd prob stop at the NJTP charger for 15 minutes because it's so convenient and Newark is well known to be congested (i.e. Sharing a charge)!

Woodbridge is a slight pain to get to, but I'd also include that stop as well for the same leapfrog reasons.
Yes, the Newark, DE, Supercharger can get VERY congested. Last Sunday I stopped there because I needed a charge, and 1 charger was broken, the other 3 chargers were in use, and I was one of 6 waiting for a charger to be available.
-- edit --
Avoid the Bethesda, MD, supercharger. Only 2 chargers, and only 1/4 power.

blanche;1237914 There really aren't any other reasonable parallel corridors either that head north/south. So make sure you time it to hit the DC area around lunch time and just go flying through to Glen Allen SC[/QUOTE said:
Now that Norfolk is on when I drive to/from Fla to Mass I am planning to go east from Rocky Mt, -> Norfolk -> Salisbury -> Newark. From checking mileage it is about the same distance and can avoid dealing with DC. the other route I was considering is going NW from Fredricksburg Va to Winchester then to Hagerstown Md. From there to NJ area will be workable when they a SC in the Allentown area. But there are a few places along that route that have HPWC to fill in. But going through Norfolk now would probably be the best alt route.