TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trip from Ct. to Fl.

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by Wiki, Nov 7, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. kort677

kort677 Banned

FWIW: that Texas steakhouse in rocky mount NC is a DUMP! I would not eat there, there are many better choices nearby, I whole heartily recommend driving 10 minutes from the SC to this place, THE PRIME SMOKEHOUSE: BARBECUE & BEYOND, Rocky Mount, NC, the hosts and the food are FANTASTIC, real down south hospitality and food.

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

>$200 per night!!

>$300 per night!!!!

And C-town is WAY far off from I95. I wouldn't go there unless I had to.

Incidentally, on my trip to FL earlier this year, I did have a Bat Mitzvah to attend in C-town, and it was quite a detour off the highway, especially going south back to 95. And I needed to charge while in town. I stayed at a different hotel in downtown Charlestown, and found an L2 charger at a parking lot a few blocks away.

3. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

ON paper it looks good, but I have traveled a lot with both my Teslas. You may want to lower your range expectations to maybe 130-150 which will take only about 20-30 min stops. I think you will double your stop time by charging to 195 or higher. BTW if you want 195 range at highway speeds you probably need about 230 in the battery and that will take an hour to charge. Just consider the leapfrog effect every 2 hours or so 120 miles stop and charge. Also as mentioned in my previous post, you must pay attention to the time and day you go through DC. If you hit there late week after 3pm you may get stuck in 50 miles of bumper to bumper UNBELIEVEABLE traffic.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Except for the first leg Milford to Newark, even then I'd prob stop at the NJTP charger for 15 minutes because it's so convenient and Newark is well known to be congested (i.e. Sharing a charge)!

Woodbridge is a slight pain to get to, but I'd also include that stop as well for the same leapfrog reasons.

5. shelbri

shelbri Member

So it's looking more likely that I'll be doing this trip starting Dec 26th. I have what is probably a stupid question. Do I make the trip in my snow tires which will be on the car at that point or do I change back to my all-seasons since most of the trip will be in weather above 45 degrees. Thoughts? It's only a 10 day trip so is it really worth changing and would heat really impact winter tire lifespan?

6. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I would leave the snows on. There can be weather enroute.

7. blanche

blanche Member

Mnlevin is quite right about DC beltway traffic when you take the I-95 corridor. I live here in the DC area, and I can assure you that hitting the beltway at rush hour is a recipe for sitting in traffic for several hours. Just don't do it. There really aren't any other reasonable parallel corridors either that head north/south. So make sure you time it to hit the DC area around lunch time and just go flying through to Glen Allen SC

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Funny, I also have two sets of tires - summer tires for spring, summer and fall, and all-seasons for winter driving (but NOT in snow, I have an ICE car with proper snow tires for driving in any amount of snow).

But driving 2500 miles on snow tires in warmer temps will wear them faster since the rubber is very soft. Will that " impact winter tire lifespan"? Sure it will.. but the amount probably isn't enough to worry about too much. Since there's plenty of NE weather after December, I'd leave the snows on just for the convenience of not swapping them out twice for a 10 day trip. But if your trip was say in March, I'd swap them and just leave them on.

9. shelbri

shelbri Member

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll wait and see what the weather forecast is for that timeframe and decide.

Hank - I drive to Vermont just about every weekend in the winter with the Model S. While I also have an ICE I could use, I just love driving the S. I decided to treat her like and everyday car for all seasons so I drive her everywhere. 30k miles in just over a year. My goal is to get my cost down to $0.50 per mile and then I will trade in an get another one. Should be another 5 years before that happens.

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Good for you!! I just don't trust winter the drivers around here enough to take my Model S out in the snow, just because aluminum body repair is so expensive.. If I'm going to get hit, I'd rather it be in my ICE winter beater (a 2002 BMW M5.. ;) )

11. kort677

kort677 Banned

I would stick with the all seasons because once you get south of VA, the bulk of the drive, you will almost be assured of not having a need for the snow tires and the warmer weather will impact the life of the snow tires.

12. DavidB

DavidB 2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D

Yes, the Newark, DE, Supercharger can get VERY congested. Last Sunday I stopped there because I needed a charge, and 1 charger was broken, the other 3 chargers were in use, and I was one of 6 waiting for a charger to be available.
    -- edit --
    Avoid the Bethesda, MD, supercharger. Only 2 chargers, and only 1/4 power.

13. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

14. EVger

EVger Member

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.