Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip from Metrowest Mass to Jay Peak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a brand new Tesla model 3 LR owner. I asked this question on reddit, but since most replies were from people outside of Mass, I thought I'd ask here as well. Does anyone have experience doing this trip in winter? And if so, were there any serious concerns regarding range? Cold weather? Any other thing I should be aware of? Any accessories I should buy for the trip?

Or is it a bad idea and I should just take my ICE car instead?

I think you're going to get a lot of out-of-region replies here too ;)

I spent last January in Colorado in my Model Y. It was great. Definitely a little range reduction but not so much that I was ever concerned. There are several Superchargers on your route so that shouldn't be any problem. The car defaultly charges such that it has about a 10% arrival at the next location - in the winter I usually wait for that to be 20% arrival just in case. But some people would argue with me on that.

Are you staying at the Jay Peak Resort? It looks like there are loads of Tesla and J1772 destination chargers. I'd still get a big charge (80 to 90%) at your last Supercharger stop on the way north just so you have a big cushion while you're there in case the local chargers are full, broken, or inconvenient to your overnight room.

I think you're going to get a lot of out-of-region replies here too ;)
The more the better :)

Are you staying at the Jay Peak Resort? It looks like there are loads of Tesla and J1772 destination chargers. I'd still get a big charge (80 to 90%) at your last Supercharger stop on the way north just so you have a big cushion while you're there in case the local chargers are full, broken, or inconvenient to your overnight room.
Yes, I'll be staying at JP. I like the idea of getting extra charge at the last supercharger.

A slight decrease in range with the temperature, but using ABETTERROUTEPLANNER.COM it looks to be no big deal. Only issue is if you have a place to charge at your destination. If so, go for it!
Do these route planners (and Tesla's built-in route planner) take outside temperature into account when calculating range?

Short answer - Charge at Lincoln (down the road from Loon) to and from, and plan to charge to 90% at one of Jay Peak's wall connectors, and you should be fine.

Long answer - I used to do Framingham, MA <-> Hanover, NH year round in my 85. I would stop in Hooksett and take advantage of quick top-off during a bathroom break (battery range > bladder range).

Charge up at Lincoln (down the road from Loon). Loon has 2 80A WC's I used once when the Lincoln SC was out, so that's an emergency backup. The long promised (3 or 4 years now) St Johnsbury SC would be nice to have in this situation, but you should be fine. The Tesla "find us" map shows 14 WC's at Jay Peak. I'd plan to charge up overnight, then move in the morning. If the WC's are full during the day, I'd have a slight preference for charging at night, so people who are day-tripping can use them.

I spent a cold winter weekend in Dalton NH (<10 miles up the border from Littleton), and did a bunch of local driving without any local charging. Charged at Lincoln on the way up, spent an hour at a public J1772 (Littleton Co-op) on the way out of town and had a late lunch/early dinner, then left for Lincoln. That was time the SC out; I spent an hour or so at the Loon WC (I have twin chargers, so 80A capable), which gave me enough to cross over the mountains and head west to 91 so I could charge at West Lebanon.

I my experience, the car's nav system range estimator uses recent consumption numbers for planning arrival battery range, so it should adjust in winter. Although this is an old 2014 MCU1 S, that's on a much older rev of software then your 3, so who knows what the new cars do.

I live just outside Boston, and routinely run up to the Lincoln/Woodstock NH area. Not exactly your route but similar conditions. You'll be fine. @LoudMusic nailed it as far as the charging concerns - know where your charging options are, and then don't worry about it. I've driven my Model S in all kinds of New England weather, including a raging snowstorm, with no* concerns. I do put on snow tires (i put them on all my cars, and always have).

* OK, one thing to be aware of: if you park outside at your destination, and especially in single-digit or lower temperatures, it takes a loooong time to warm up the battery to where you can charge effectively. The usual "drive around for 15 minutes" doesn't cut it when the temperature overnight was -9. If you've let the SOC run down somewhat, as I did in a recent cold snap, it can be worrying watching the level drop as you drive around trying to warm the battery enough to supercharge. My experience (but there are others on this forum who may know the car systems better) was to keep plugging in to L2 chargers, not because they were charging my car, but because they were helping warm the battery. I turned on dog mode to keep the climate control running. The car did not warm up as effectively at the supercharger itself.

Short answer - Charge at Lincoln (down the road from Loon) to and from, and plan to charge to 90% at one of Jay Peak's wall connectors, and you should be fine.

Good thoughts @tga. One suggestion: the Lincoln chargers are V2 and somewhat flaky. The Ashland chargers, just 20 min south, are V3 and even for my 2019 Model S more consistently deliver a higher rate of charge. I typically pick up my last northbound charge at Ashland, even though my destination is less than 10 minutes from the Lincoln supercharger.

Yeah, the v2/v3 thing doesn't really matter with a 85kW car.

Also @whiskeylover, make sure you bring your J1772 adapter as a backup - they are fairly common in VT (see plugshare). When charging at a ski area, I try to keep an eye on the car with the phone app (assuming both have cell coverage) and move the car when I'm done so others can charge. Or check at lunch, or whenever the "time to charge finished" timer estimates completion.

Sugarbush has 3 sets of 3 WC's (9 total), with each group wired to share a 100A circuit. If I'm the only one plugged in, I can pull the full 80A. If I look at the phone and see 40A, I know one other car is plugged in. If 26A, I know all three are in use. I can remotely guestimate demand based on that. If the other 2 are in use, I'll more more proactive about moving when done.