Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip from San Diego to Beullton, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoy the drive! Put your destination in the nav when you start and it will tell you where to charge. You have lots of options - you can check stall availability in the map as you drive if you want to minimize the chance of having to wait.

Don't overthink it, you'll be fine!

Supercharger traffic will be dependent on what day of the week you go or if there's any holidays. Plenty of Tesla's in the road now so when I use the supercharger stations, I make sure not to push it by adding some padding on my arrival battery percentage.

Another way to check real-time would be in your car. Just get in and use the map to look at the superchargers you're thinking of using and see their availability.

Took a road trip last year on Hwy 1 and 101, superchargers along the way were mostly half full. On another road trip now, again along Hwy 1 and 101, most superchargers were 90% full. More cars out there now and more commuters are charging during lunch and evening hours. I would avoid those hours, also you may want to do your first stop at Manhattan Beach (Manhattan Village).

Reactions: goldengate
Thanks for the encouragement, but I was hoping to some feedback from people who have recently used the superchargers on the way. For example how busy is the Thousand Oaks location usually.

As someone else posted, there's a lot of variability in Supercharger usage. (I've driven through the area, but I don't know the day-to-day usage patterns, or LA-area traffic, well enough to comment on them.) Anyway I just wanted to point out that there are two Supercharger sites in Thousand Oaks, a few miles apart.

Another approach might be to use ABRP (or just stare at a Supercharge map) to pick a candidate set of chargers, and look at the California Superchargers subforum on TMC to see what people say about them.

Bruce.

PS. With my moderator hat on, I'm going to move this to the California section because it's really more of a California topic than a Model S topic.