Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip from Toronto to S.C.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that was easy with our M3LR. And Hilton Head, S.C. experienced an early spring mid Feb. when we were there. Lovely trip all in all.

Used A Better Route Planner ABRP to plan the route and charging stops as Tesla's tended to give me longer drives and charging times. We're in our 70s and like to get out and stretch (and pee) more frequently.

But the route was the same, almost all Interstate Hwys: Buffalo, Pittsburgh, W.V., Charlotte, Columbia. With lots of choices for Superchargers along the way. No comparison to traveling in Northern Ontario.

Only glitch was when we spent the first night near Pittsburgh. The temperature dropped to -9C and the car had less than 20% charge. So charging first thing the next morning was very slow. But easy to fix in ABRP by adding the hotel stops and specifying that the car have 50% charge when arriving.

First long trip in the car, and we're now looking forward to many more. Autopilot sure makes it easy driving.

Well that was easy with our M3LR. And Hilton Head, S.C. experienced an early spring mid Feb. when we were there. Lovely trip all in all.

Used A Better Route Planner ABRP to plan the route and charging stops as Tesla's tended to give me longer drives and charging times. We're in our 70s and like to get out and stretch (and pee) more frequently.

But the route was the same, almost all Interstate Hwys: Buffalo, Pittsburgh, W.V., Charlotte, Columbia. With lots of choices for Superchargers along the way. No comparison to traveling in Northern Ontario.

Only glitch was when we spent the first night near Pittsburgh. The temperature dropped to -9C and the car had less than 20% charge. So charging first thing the next morning was very slow. But easy to fix in ABRP by adding the hotel stops and specifying that the car have 50% charge when arriving.

First long trip in the car, and we're now looking forward to many more. Autopilot sure makes it easy driving.
I'm pretty sure that the best approach for charging in cold weather is to charge while the battery is still warm (before settling in for the night), rather than trying to charge a cold battery in the morning.

I'm pretty sure that the best approach for charging in cold weather is to charge while the battery is still warm (before settling in for the night), rather than trying to charge a cold battery in the morning.
Yup. In the winter around here I don't even wait for the lower electricity rates after 7pm. Just plug it in (outside) when we arrive around noon and the battery is warm. Especially when a big temperature drop overnight is predicted.

That -9C near Pittsburgh caught us off-guard. Guess we were dreaming of S.C. beaches.