Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip help on WV-NC leg of trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting a trip tomorrow from Buffalo to Charlotte, NC.
I have charging arranged as far south as a KOA near Sutton WV.

After that there are not a lot of charging stations along US-19 or I77 through Virginia and NC until I get down near Statesville.

Are there any owners or people familiar with the area that can give me some recommendations? With all the hills I will encounter I would like to find a place to charge in the Beckley to Bluefield area. Plugshare only shows a couple of wall plugs and Nissan dealerships. My attempts to call dealerships in advance haven't been working out that well and most of the Nissan dealers only have Chademo anyhow.

Suggestions appreciated.

Cablechewer

I am starting a trip tomorrow from Buffalo to Charlotte, NC.
I have charging arranged as far south as a KOA near Sutton WV.

After that there are not a lot of charging stations along US-19 or I77 through Virginia and NC until I get down near Statesville.

Are there any owners or people familiar with the area that can give me some recommendations? With all the hills I will encounter I would like to find a place to charge in the Beckley to Bluefield area. Plugshare only shows a couple of wall plugs and Nissan dealerships. My attempts to call dealerships in advance haven't been working out that well and most of the Nissan dealers only have Chademo anyhow.

Suggestions appreciated.

Cablechewer

I wouldn't go that way. The poor charging will end up taking you longer than going east to the Newark supercharger and then down 95. If you want something more scenic with less traffic, after DC you could go south on Rte 29 thru VA where there are more RV park choices.

If you come down via I-85, you are welcome to get a 14-50 charge at our house pretty much any time (we are a few miles from where I-85 crosses US-70. Another option would be to ping Tesla Service and see if you can bum a charge from the Raleigh service center, which is close to where I-540 crosses US-70.

Thanks for the replies! We actually did better than I expected going through the mountains. We kept out speed a bit lower than the speed limits and we also ran into heavy fog that slowed us even more. In the end we made it from Sutton, WV to Wythville, VA with about 55 miles of rated range left. In Sutton we had done an almost full range charge (we left about 30-45 minutes before completing it). Hopefully it will be a long time before I need to charge it past the normal range cap again.

If you come down via I-85, you are welcome to get a 14-50 charge at our house pretty much any time (we are a few miles from where I-85 crosses US-70. Another option would be to ping Tesla Service and see if you can bum a charge from the Raleigh service center, which is close to where I-540 crosses US-70.

I also live not far from where I-540 crosses US-70 and my 14-50s are available to you if you ever have need. Just PM me.