Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip LA <-> Yosemite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I have Model 3 SR+ and thinking of taking a four days trip to Yosemite. Looking at the Supercharger map makes me worry if I will be able to feel comfortable and enjoy a trip rather than counting miles and constantly adjusting route to the charging needs. Has anyone had experience in driving to Yosemite? How was it? Are there any chargers inside the park (except for the one at Fish Camp)? Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you

There's a destination charger outside of the Ahwahnee Hotel in what looks to be an auxiliary parking lot. Street view follows:

Google Maps

In the photo, the hotel entrance is to the left.

Coming from LA I believe your choice is Fish Camp. I drove into the park last year on the north end and used Groveland as the charging stop. While in the park I was able to use the Ahwahnee charger while taking a hike to Mirror Lake.

Note that I believe this charging setup is not monitored by the hotel staff. I did ask permission to park there while on my hike and made it back just after I was fully charged. Also there was no distinct signage on the ground there saying it was exclusively for EV charging so you might get ICE'd. This was last fall (August 2019) so it might have changed since then.

ref: Yosemite trip, stay near Groveland Supercharger or at a Destination Charger location?

Last edited:
Lots of posts in the California section about this.

Generally, you’ll be fine. On the way up you’ll want to charge at Tejon Pass, then Fresno, then Fish Camp.

If you stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Fish Camp, a full battery will be plenty to do all the exploring in the park you want and get back that night to charge.

As mentioned there are a couple L2 chargers at the Ahwahnee Hotel in the valley but I wouldn’t plan on NEEDING a charge there unless you’re staying overnight because they can be quite busy.

Many hotels in Oakhurst have destination charging.

In short, easy peasy.

Reactions: dogstranaut
There were 3 chargers inside the park. 2 are down. I've been monitoring them for a month. Only the J1772 works at the hotel. The Tesla charger has been broken. 3kw is not sufficient. Plugshare has comments and photos. Someone made a paper reservation list of sort. People are trying to organize their charges. I'm going in after labor day and plan to charge to 90% in groveland and survive all the park driving for three days. It's easy to duck out and get a quick supercharge at fish camp when you're low

The Tesla charger was working 3 weeks ago, even though the plastic around the end of the connector is missing it plugs in.

Axlxa, does it not operate at all now? Or did you not try plugging it in?

Even without charging in the valley, just charge to 80 or 90% at the last supercharger you’ll pass on the way in and you’ll be fine. I charged to 100% in Mammoth Lakes, spent the day in the valley, then drove all the way home to Sonoma County without any further charging and arrived home with over 20% charge (LR RWD). Of course that’s the “downhill” direction.

Any update here? Thinking of taking the X on a trip up from LA. There are now road closures to add to the mix so a quick trip to fish camp SC might not be so easy.

"Beginning Thursday, October 29 crews began working on a slide stabilization located approximately 1-mile north of the Wawona Campground. As part of this stabilization there will be two 4-hour closures each day with a 1-hour opening period between the two 4-hour closures. The reason for these 4-hour closures is for safety to prevent vehicles from being hit by slide material or blast rock as the crews work to remove the loose rocks and boulders from this active slide area.

Summary of Delays/Closures:

Monday - Friday
10/29/20 - 11/18/20 = 4-hour closures (8 am – 12 pm & 1 pm – 5 pm)
11/19/20 - 12/31/20 = 30-minute delays"

FYI - the Ahwahnee destination charger is working. I'm getting 14kW (204v/72A). They also have a J1772 charger right next to it. Luckily someone responded to the note I left in the charger dock and let me know when they were done. There are a lot of Teslas and EVs here.

FYI - the Ahwahnee destination charger is working. I'm getting 14kW (204v/72A). They also have a J1772 charger right next to it. Luckily someone responded to the note I left in the charger dock and let me know when they were done. There are a lot of Teslas and EVs here.
I was there few weekends ago. There was no chance to get a charge when the entire lot was full and there were already 2 Tesla's plugged in, and few more parked nearby waiting.

Glad I have a stealth. I made from mammoth lakes 96% through the park for fun, and all the way out to manteca v3 charger with 18% left. I drove 290miles on a charge...

Reactions: KenC