Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip north - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading north to Aviemore for a mountain biking trip tomorrow - just over 400 miles.

I'm setting out from Derby in a M3P and ABRP suggests charging stops at Scotch Corner, Abington (off the M74 south of Glasgow) and then Perth. I have a charge point at the accommodation in Aviemore but I'm aware there are superchargers locally.

The alternative is to go up t'other side via Newcastle and Edinburgh - ABRP says not much in it timewise and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding this please? Any "gotchas" on those chargers other than the sign-in needed to avoid the parking thieves at Scotch Corner?

Cheers for any insights!

West Coast is mainly Motorway the Newcastle Edinburgh route is A Road but arguably more scenic so really your preference for what driving you prefer. There are relatively new V3 Superchargers at Adderstone near Bamburgh in case you need them. I'd suggest you avoid the Superchargers at Edinburgh Airport as there are only 2 and they are old / slow, the Edinburgh Service Centre Superchargers are a much better bet and only 10 Mins along the road. Scotland is pretty well served for Superchargers and they are very rarely full but if you plan to do this trip regularly maybe consider signing up for Chargeplace Scotland as a backup.

Reactions: Adopado and Mr_Dave
Suggest downloading the ChargePlace Scotland app and creating account (its free) as will give you access to most of the public chargers without need for RFID. Not had any issues supercharging at SCorner, Abington and Perth. The A1 is single carriageway in places in Northumberland and the Borders and can be pretty tedious if stuck in a big queue behind a lorry, the A68 is good fun if not in a rush but I think I would do as ABRP suggests if it was me.

Thanks all. I'm figuring the motorway side this time around and save the scenic east side for a future trip with the missus. Objective tomorrow is to get there with the least hassle. Good to know that those chargers are all decent. I won't be using the car much if at all whilst I'm up there as bikes will be the main mode of transport. Hopefully I won't need the Aviemore SuC but good to have it there in case.

Cheers!

Scotch corner is one of those hotels where you need to enter your reg at reception otherwise ParkingEye will fine you. Abington is a service station and although Perth is a hotel there's no need to register. None of these SuperChargers are likely to be busy at this point in the year I would say.

The route up the east coast tends to take longer than the ABRP estimate as you can't drive at the speed limit all the way, if you haven't done it regularly the M6 / M74 isn't unscenic anyway.

Also, pack Smidge.

Scotch corner is one of those hotels where you need to enter your reg at reception otherwise ParkingEye will fine you. Abington is a service station and although Perth is a hotel there's no need to register. None of these SuperChargers are likely to be busy at this point in the year I would say.

The route up the east coast tends to take longer than the ABRP estimate as you can't drive at the speed limit all the way, if you haven't done it regularly the M6 / M74 isn't unscenic anyway.

Also, pack Smidge.
Excellent thanks. Smidge packed - hopefully the mossies are less severe now, but got it just in case!

Reactions: GRiLLA
East coast better, washington chargers are slower and more expensive than adderstones plus you have to register your registration at reception where adderstone you dont. Washingtons were full when i was there tuesday and all the times ive been to adderstone i have yet to see another car charging. Agree about edinburgh airport, avoid...use service center 3 miles away.

Thanks all. I'm figuring the motorway side this time around and save the scenic east side for a future trip with the missus. Objective tomorrow is to get there with the least hassle. Good to know that those chargers are all decent. I won't be using the car much if at all whilst I'm up there as bikes will be the main mode of transport. Hopefully I won't need the Aviemore SuC but good to have it there in case.

Cheers!

Tebay on the M6 ... the only services I look forward to stopping at! (And Supercharging there of course.)

Edit: I should add that people travelling north should ignore the Tesla nav taking you the long way around to the southbound side of the services for the Tesla Superchargers. This is one of the services where you can reliably drive from north side to south side (and back don't forget!) Just drive directly into the northbound Tebay services and follow the signs for chargers and ultimately you'll see Tesla signage for the road that takes you across .. only for Tesla and hotel guests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magstauk
Gretna can get busy and it's only got 4 superchargers.... Just a little bit of additional info.
I'd have thought Abington Aviemore would have been achievable as long as you're not flooring it. I do Aberdeen Tebay in the height of summer and Aberdeen Abington in the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Tebay charging good but inside the services will be *busy*.
Abingdon and Perth both good.
Skip Gretna Green.
Skip ChargePlaceScotland unless you have to- and you won’t need to on your trip. They’re often busy/broken/slow(22kW) compared to reliable, available & fast Superchargers.

You’ll have no issues- your trip will be fine. Enjoy.

Use your AP on the motorway stuff. Past Perth on the A9 you’ll be on TACC or driving yourself due to 50 mph Lorry restrictions signs being mid- read.

Tebay charging good but inside the services will be *busy*.
Abingdon and Perth both good.
Skip Gretna Green.
Skip ChargePlaceScotland unless you have to- and you won’t need to on your trip. They’re often busy/broken/slow(22kW) compared to reliable, available & fast Superchargers.

You’ll have no issues- your trip will be fine. Enjoy.

Use your AP on the motorway stuff. Past Perth on the A9 you’ll be on TACC or driving yourself due to 50 mph Lorry restrictions signs being mid- read.

Tebay will be fine. Maybe you were there during hols ... it was relatively quiet earlier this week.

Abington ... Abingdon is a long way south!

Tebay will be fine. Maybe you were there during hols ... it was relatively quiet earlier this week.

Abington ... Abingdon is a long way south!
I was south bound there on Monday and it was bonkers, there was one free spot late morning luckily for me, 1 model S and the rest all 3s. I imagine the X&S owners finding it all a bit upsetting now :). Went inside for something to eat and there was a queue back to the door, I went for the sandwich option on the right and took it back to the car, only a 10 min queue.

Travelling back north on Tuesday afternoon was much more relaxed, 3 cars charging and no queues inside.

As others have said ignore the sat nav, look it up on google maps first, and you'll see it's quite easy to cross over from west to east travelling north bound.

I did east coast a few months ago for first time in years and found it flat and boring, west coast is a much better road and bit more hills going on :) (but I wasn't looking for somewhere to stop)