Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip on Rte 3 south of Braintree and over the Canal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I had to drive down to Barnstable last Saturday. First time I had driven on Rte 3 past Duxbury in quite a while. It was a bit surprising to see what poor condition the road is in. Rough surface, well worn lane markings. I guess I am spoiled because I mostly drive on the I-95 corridor, which is mostly in good shape (except for where it is being widened in Needham-Wellesley). The Model S rides a bit hard so I noticed the pavement condition. The autopilot seemed to handle the lane markings pretty well most of the way. I hope there are plans to repave this road soon!

On a more positive note it was my first visit to the Sagamore bridge supercharger. Very convenient, close to the highway and adjacent to McD's and a Dunkin' Donuts. There was another car (an X) at the S/C when I arrived, but otherwise it was unoccupied. It was my first chance to speak with a Model X owner -- he had had it 2 weeks and was loving it.

I made it down and back fairly easily, and used autopilot for a good portion of the trip. On the way back I realized I was still on autopilot as I crossed the bridge, in the left lane. Lanes on the bridge are narrow, which gave me some anxiety. But markings were clear and car seemed to be doing as good a job of positioning itself as I probably would have. I approached the bridge with the speed set higher than the bridge's speed limit (45, I think) because the approach road has a higher limit, so for part of the crossing I was traveling faster than I might have intended. I was starting to reduce speed about when the system registered a speed limit sign and signaled that it was limiting speed to 5 mph over the limit (presumably because the road has no central barrier). Don't think I had seen that before.

I cross the bridge a few times each month, but I've never had the cojones to use AP going over. Now I want to try it next time! And yes RT3 needs some help. We live in Norwell, so that's our main road to get anywhere. In the rain, my AP doesn't always love those faded lines.