Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner failures with recent updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently running version 2022.20.8 in my 2015 Model S. I have noticed that there are a number of reoccurring failures in the trip planner that used to work well. These two are the most pressing:

1. The trip planner no longer adds in supercharger stops along a route that the car cannot complete without charging.
    1. It used to be that if the car would go below the expected range that supercharger stops along the route would be automatically added in. That is no longer occurring. They need to be added manually when you notice that the car won't make the trip.
    2. I have verified that trip planner is enabled in the settings. I've even tried disabling and re-enabling the setting. It hasn't made a difference.
  2. The batteries are no longer preconditioning before arrival at a supercharger.
    1. This is occurring even with the supercharger is listed in the navigation as the next stop or only stop. I have even gotten the notice to set the supercharger as the destination in order to enable preconditioning, even though I had actually completed that step.
Is anyone else noticing these issues? I'm not sure if it's a bug in the new software updates, or if this is a one-off that I'm the only one experiencing. Not sure how to resolve these issues because I can't revert to previous software versions without these issues.

I am currently running version 2022.20.8 in my 2015 Model S. I have noticed that there are a number of reoccurring failures in the trip planner that used to work well. These two are the most pressing:

1. The trip planner no longer adds in supercharger stops along a route that the car cannot complete without charging.
    1. It used to be that if the car would go below the expected range that supercharger stops along the route would be automatically added in. That is no longer occurring. They need to be added manually when you notice that the car won't make the trip.
    2. I have verified that trip planner is enabled in the settings. I've even tried disabling and re-enabling the setting. It hasn't made a difference.
  2. The batteries are no longer preconditioning before arrival at a supercharger.
    1. This is occurring even with the supercharger is listed in the navigation as the next stop or only stop. I have even gotten the notice to set the supercharger as the destination in order to enable preconditioning, even though I had actually completed that step.
Is anyone else noticing these issues? I'm not sure if it's a bug in the new software updates, or if this is a one-off that I'm the only one experiencing. Not sure how to resolve these issues because I can't revert to previous software versions without these issues.

Scott we're having the same issue. We're literally on a trip from Reno to Vegas and trip planner isn't working. We don't even have access to toggle it on/off at the moment. I've now rebooted both the dash and now the center system twice. No joy. We've caught wind of some having to ping service and push an Ota nav reboot. That seems silly but apparently may work.

How long have you been on 20.8? On the last few releases I've had some basic function break, but then magically heal itself a few days/charge cycles later.

Mostly minor stuff, like charge port door would not open from the touch screen, touching the map failed to bring up traffic/etc icons, blank screen after pressing the car icon, something different every update.

I get the sense that it's taking longer for all the bits to load up; in the past, there would be blank areas in the UI for a minute or 2, after update. Maybe it's just taking longer to re-load all the different parts?

Hope it heals itself.

I have a 2016 model s. No way points in the navigation system. Is that normal?
as well, being able to specify range, rather than model of car (which no longer had the MS 85 listed) would be a nice (and simple) feature to add

@nitrous, I'd encourage you to call Tesla Service and start a complaint. It's a software issue at this point. Two updates prior killed the "trip planner" features which is what set the way points and "needed" time to charge at each SC station.

Is anyone else noticing these issues with trip planner? I'm not sure if it's a bug in the new software updates, or if this is a one-off that I'm the only one experiencing. Not sure how to resolve these issues because I can't revert to previous software versions without these issues.
I am also using the same version. and it's working fine for me.

same issue for me 2022 model 3, 2023.2.05. I’m in france.
What is strange is that it depends on the route. Like now I’m skiing in the alps: If I plan to Paris : no pb get some super charger stops. If I plan to Marseille (south of france) no pb…. But if I plan to my place or any city around it (Antibes, Cannes Vence, Nice) …. I get no stops (and all are farther away than Marseille from my current position)…. Very very weird.
I can trace the begining of all this mess from a very particular moment : I was planing from my place (Valbonne south east of france) to this ski resort(Val Thorens) everything was fine with one or two supercharger stop along the way. Then I added an intermediate point to pick my parents near my place …. And boom no more supercharger stops since this moment for me from/to the ski resort to/from a big area around my place.
Obviously rebooted a couple times, checked the trip planner settings, etc ….